DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 518
0 members and 518 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Honda

LinkBack Thread Tools
Want to buy non-running F3
Unread
  (#1)
M Class Holder

Question Want to buy non-running F3 - March 22, 2007, 03:06 PM

I need some advice. I found a non-running F3 that I am thinking about buying for $800. The owner says it was running last summer and now needs a battery and new plugs. I'm a novice mechanic but comfortable trying to sort out the mechanical issues on my own. I've never worked on a bike before and my big fear is if there is a problem with the carbs. I heard it's a pain to remove, clean, and synch them on an inline 4.

Would I be crazy to take this deal? I really want to learn while getting a cheap working bike.

Anyone want to volunteer to be my mechanical mentor if I can't get this working?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Site ADMIN

March 22, 2007, 03:15 PM

Fak, buy that bitch for 800 and get an uber cool new frame and make it badass!!

i volunteer nunya for the mentor!

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#3)
PewPew

March 22, 2007, 03:50 PM

it's not that bad to sync a 4cyl inline. for the price i'd say buy it.

R.I.P. Eric "TheIrishGuy"

"Will you carry me down the aisle that final day
With your tears and cold hands shaking from the weight
When you lower me down beneath that sky of gray
Let the rain fall down and wash away your pain"

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to NoVaGhost  
Unread
  (#4)
Go Team Venture!!!

March 22, 2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAWD
I need some advice. I found a non-running F3 that I am thinking about buying for $800. The owner says it was running last summer and now needs a battery and new plugs. I'm a novice mechanic but comfortable trying to sort out the mechanical issues on my own. I've never worked on a bike before and my big fear is if there is a problem with the carbs. I heard it's a pain to remove, clean, and synch them on an inline 4.

Would I be crazy to take this deal? I really want to learn while getting a cheap working bike.

Anyone want to volunteer to be my mechanical mentor if I can't get this working?
Hell if you can't get it working let me know and I will buy it. Carbs are easy to clean, but you don't know it that is it. It could be a number of things that could keep it from running.

"Whore Force One" pilot
The Whitest of White Boys
Not 40 yet!
The Force is strong in this one
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Send a message via AIM to Jedi Send a message via MSN to Jedi  
Unread
  (#5)
M Class Holder

March 22, 2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi
Hell if you can't get it working let me know and I will buy it. Carbs are easy to clean, but you don't know it that is it. It could be a number of things that could keep it from running.
That is my fear. I don't want to spend the whole season trying to get a bike to run if it's got real problems, but then again it could fire up with a new battery and spark plugs.

I'm going to cross my fingers and hope the seller calls me back.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Officially Addicted to Posting

March 22, 2007, 04:11 PM

I've never seen a bike not run because of plugs after sitting 9 months. Not to say that it can't happen. Borrow a battery or charger and try to start it before you buy. Could easily be a fuel issue which isn't too big of a deal if you know what you are doing. Probably not a bad idea to bring someone with you that knows what they are doing anyway, and you could have them drain the gas and the carbs and try new fuel. If that doesn't work, it might need a carb clean, or it could be something bigger. Of course, just because someone says it was running last summer, doesn't mean it was, so its a bit of a gamble. But if you want to learn about working on bikes, $800 for a test mule that could be a great bike if you get it running sounds like a decent way to get started.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy