DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 508
2 members and 506 guests
2blueyam, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Buell

LinkBack Thread Tools
Buell Bring International Teams to Daytona
Unread
  (#1)
You meet the nicest

Buell Bring International Teams to Daytona - January 31, 2006, 04:14 PM

Four Buell Firebolt XB-RRs To Be Entered In 2006 Daytona 200 By Dealership Teams

Jan 31, 2006

Copyright 2006, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.

The 2007 Buell Firebolt XB-RR production racebike.
Photo courtesy of Buell Motorcycle Company.

Four dealership-backed teams representing four different countries will enter Buell Firebolt XB-RR production racebikes in the 2006 Daytona 200, the AMA Formula Xtreme season-opener.

Riding for Hal’s Performance Advantage Buell (which has campaigned Buell racebikes in AMA and Formula USA competition over the last several years) will be the team’s long-time rider Mike Ciccotto, the only man to ride a Buell Firebolt to victory in AMA competition when he won the 2002 AMA Pro Thunder race at Laguna Seca.

Hannover (Germany) Buell team, which has raced Buells in European and World Championship competition, including the Oschersleben round (24-hour) of the FIM Endurance World Championship, has signed Rico Penzkofer, who has experience racing in the Supersport and Endurance World Championships, as well as the 2005 BMW Motorrad Power Cup.

Warr’s Harley-Davidson/Buell of London (England), which has raced Harley-Davidson and Buell motorcycles for decades, has retained the services of former 250cc Grand Prix race winner and 500cc/MotoGP veteran Jeremy McWilliams.

A fourth Buell dealer, Trev Deeley Motorcycles, of Vancouver, Canada, (which is owned by Trev Deeley, a former factory Harley-Davidson racer) has yet to confirm its rider, but well-placed sources have suggested that Deeley’s very short list of possible riders includes former Harley-Davidson factory AMA Superbike pilot and two-time Canadian Superbike Champion Pascal Picotte.

Picotte, Ciccotto, McWilliams and Penzkofer are expected to test their Buell Firebolt XB-RRs at Texas World Speedway in early February. Texas World Speedway is a “superspeedway” with an infield road course and 33-degree banking that offers a similar experience to Daytona International Speedway (which has 31-degree banking).

The 2007 Buell Firebolt XB-RR is a production racebike (essentially a streetbike fitted with a race kit at the factory and sold for competition use only, much like Ducati’s 999RS and 749RS models) designed to have competitive horsepower, to weigh near the AMA Formula Xtreme minimum weight limit, to be durable enough to last an entire race season with only routine maintenance and to be versatile enough to be raced in several professional, pro-am and amateur organizations and classes.

All 50 of the $30,995 Buell Firebolt XB-RRs scheduled to be produced were sold out -- on the wholesale level -- within one hour of being announced during the Buell Winter Dealer Convention in Grapevine, Texas January 23. A short production run is scheduled to happen in February with the remainder of the XB-RRs scheduled to be produced in April 2006.

“I’m really excited having an international team of guys,” Erik Buell, a former AMA Superbike privateer racer and founder, Chairman and Chief Technical Officer of Buell Motorcycle Company, told Roadracingworld.com Tuesday. “That’s the Daytona I remember. There were guys from Germany, England, France, Japan and all over the place when I rode the 200.

“I think it’s really cool that this is happening with an American bike, because we have such strong dealers overseas. We sell more than half of what the Buells we make overseas, so we have some really strong dealers overseas that have a lot of experience racing.

“We had more dealers who said. ‘We want a bike for Daytona! We’ve got to have a bike for Daytona!’ ‘I can’t. I can’t get any more of them done until April.’ But it was really exciting to see at the dealer show how many of them want to go Formula Xtreme racing, and get seriously involved in racing again. That can’t do anything but bring good for the sport, because when they come they’ll bring spectators, interest and connections to their local papers and T.V. to tell the story that they are running a team. All of these things that will get extra press for road racing are going to come out of it.

“So I’m excited the dealers got involved and that these guys are excited about coming to Daytona. It’s fun.”

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
AMA Superbike Champ

January 31, 2006, 04:36 PM

McWilliams and Picotte-I am stoked!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
You meet the nicest

January 31, 2006, 04:54 PM

The 200 used to have high profile international participation. Even though I still lament the change from Superbikes to FX*, this Buell deal is a cool development.

* Mladin called it a "minibike race"

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#4)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
January 31, 2006, 07:23 PM

If they can stay together I think theyll do well. Im not trying to bash but it is a brand new bike.

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
Unread
  (#5)
What's today? aah fuck it

January 31, 2006, 07:51 PM

they sold like hot cackes!
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

January 31, 2006, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGULA
If they can stay together I think theyll do well. Im not trying to bash but it is a brand new bike.
dont worry about bashing, your new name shoudl be bashula

Buell (American Motorcycles)
"Had enough rice? Try some apple pie."
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

January 31, 2006, 09:15 PM

Erick Buell is a Genious.

Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

January 31, 2006, 09:32 PM

Quote:
draculo if you would follow buell you would realize that its a new bike but the technology used on this bike has been slowly implemented in buell bikes thrue 2004 and 2005.
don't worry about the bike not holding up they are buell not honda

Unread
  (#9)
Just Ridin'

February 1, 2006, 07:10 AM

Actually, under race conditions, with new riders that haven't had as much shake down time as the others.. well.. the question of everything working as needs to, to place well in a race as brutal on equipment as the 200.. that's a big question mark.

Come on, think about it. There are an untold number of things that could go wrong. So, it's a real concern. History points out that a first time machine will always have a higher percentage of 'incidental' items that singularly wouldn't make that much difference (especially to a street machine) but take one or two of them and you've got the makings of a less then stellar showing. I hope these teams have enough time to iron out whatever they find and dial in the bikes to their respective riders.

I am looking forward to seeing this race though and would love to be there live, instead I'll be in a living room watching the NAZCAR channel like so many of us.

Lean It Like You Mean It!
Unread
  (#10)
B
It goes to 11.

February 1, 2006, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buell2001b
draculo if you would follow buell you would realize that its a new bike but the technology used on this bike has been slowly implemented in buell bikes thrue 2004 and 2005.
don't worry about the bike not holding up they are buell not honda
I think much of the distain for buells in the current sport bike community is
1) they are a harley derivative
2) They did, indeed, sport several stories of blown oil-pan gaskets within the first 200 miles, and subsequently quite a few wrecks and pissed off customers.

On buells, I actually love the innovations like the exhaust placement, the sound, the styles... but seriously, honda is KNOWN for thier R&D. They probably make the most reliable bike out there.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#11)
Pleased to meet me

February 1, 2006, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buell2001b
Erick Buell is a Genious.
Genius. I bet he can spell.
Unread
  (#12)
Typical Stripper

February 1, 2006, 07:40 AM

Very cool. I am excited to see what they can do.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

February 1, 2006, 07:31 PM

Hopefully they can last all season with just regular maintenance. I wonder what it would be like to ride one of these daily on the road. I bet it would not be a bitch.
Unread
  (#14)
You meet the nicest

February 1, 2006, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Brand new is right!. "a short production run in February" That only gives the teams a few weeks at best. I'll bet they'll be using the CCS weekend for testing.

Getting that much power out of that engine configuration is pushing it for reliability. We shall see.

Note that Ducati has never won the 200 and it's not because they can't do the lap times. (Not comparing Ducati and Buell engine configurations. Even though they are both V twins they are VERY different)

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#15)
Just Ridin'

February 2, 2006, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrben
I think much of the distain for buells in the current sport bike community is
1) they are a harley derivative
2) They did, indeed, sport several stories of blown oil-pan gaskets within the first 200 miles, and subsequently quite a few wrecks and pissed off customers.

On buells, I actually love the innovations like the exhaust placement, the sound, the styles... but seriously, honda is KNOWN for thier R&D. They probably make the most reliable bike out there.
I agree totally!

But with all things there are reasons for these thing, that in hindsight make perfect sense. Erik Buell started out as a racer with an engineering degree. He managed to get a job near home (Milwaukee area) with Harley and that's where it all started. I shudder to think of what would have happened if he'd ended up with one of the racing oriented brands, I could see him building GP bikes for.. well.. Anyone!

Anyway, as history goes, he left the company to concentrate on racing and building a race machine. AMA rule changes and the dropping of the F1 class killed his RW750 bike (only two were built). It also put him in financial straights since he'd never had a chance to run it and draw any attention from other racing folks. He did however draw some attention for his frame design (a tube/trellis frame that was incrediblly rigid) and was asked if he could produce a more 'street friendly' version. His engine builder (a guy in England) had gone out of business and he needed a power plant. Harley had the XR1000 project they had just cancelled, so he cut a deal with his old employers. That lead to the RR1000. This bike did very well and all 50 were sold, several of them went racing and did staggeringly well. Unfortunately at that time, a 185mph motorcycle was something that was almost impossible to control since riders and tires hadn't caught up yet. AMA rule changes killed the RR's racing career and Buell shifted his focus to strictly street bikes. Once agian, he needed an engine and got sportster motors and some distribtion help from Harley. Over building that engine like he did to get the usable power he wanted caused all kinds of problems and hence, the lack of realiability that some models became known for.

Skip ahead a bunch of years. Harley now owns Buell. EB is still in charge, he just has to answer to the cruiser Gods for everything. He also has to prove profitable. (since I'll best some of the suits at H-D still don't see a market for anything remotely sporting) Given only so much money and wanting to bring some of his more 'radical' ideas to the public he chose to stick with a 45* V-Twin since it would cost huge amounts of money to develop a new motor and the machines to build it. Or he could refine what already existed and cost would be much less. His group re-invented the basic Harley lump into a respectable street engine with serious reliability. His bikes now share almost nothing with Sportys' (as a matter of fact, H-D is starting to use his designs for some of their bikes). Including the engine.

So after something like 20 years, Buell is back at the 200. Hopefully this will prove adventagous to more then just Buell, I'd love to see FX become the premier class they have been aiming to make it. I really hope they pull off some good finishes over the season and that inspires EVERYONE to get involved, Ducati, MV, Guzzi, Triumph, EVERYONE making sporting bikes, a true across the board all brand racing class.

Lean It Like You Mean It!