DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 542
2 members and 540 guests
davidcycle, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Buell

LinkBack Thread Tools
Harley Davidson ready to buy MV Agusta
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Harley Davidson ready to buy MV Agusta - July 14, 2008, 01:08 PM

HD has initiated the process of buying MV Agusta.

Buell (American Motorcycles)
"Had enough rice? Try some apple pie."
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Typical Stripper

July 14, 2008, 01:14 PM

mv agusta bought out

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Eddie would go ...

July 14, 2008, 01:16 PM

From the NY Times

Business Briefing | Technology
Harley-Davidson to Buy Italian Motorcycle Maker

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: July 12, 2008
Harley-Davidson said Friday it would buy the Italian motorcycle maker MV Agusta Group for about $109 million to increase its presence in Europe. MV Agusta makes a line of premium sport motorcycles under its name brand and a line of lightweight motorcycles under the Cagiva brand. The deal will help Harley-Davidson expand into the European market as sales slump in the United States, where consumers are pulling back on spending.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/12/bu...bk&oref=slogin

I bet the Italian YaoMatt is saying the Yanks will ruin one of their industry icons.... and he's right.

oh an btw...$109M ??? Damn thats cheap....must be a *&$&*^ in operating costs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#4)
Officially Addicted to Posting

July 14, 2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
oh an btw...$109M ??? Damn thats cheap....must be a *&$&*^ in operating costs...
Not as cheap as the 1 Euro for which it was sold by Proton in 2005 (I think). And that was including Husky at the time. Ask the Malaysians how they feel about that.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

July 16, 2008, 12:16 PM

I hope that HD somehow makes MV and Buell sahre knowledge to continually improve the brands as they have done so good with Buell so far.
I think getting the MV engineers to HD will be a great addition for high performance technology.

Buell (American Motorcycles)
"Had enough rice? Try some apple pie."
Unread
  (#6)
DFL

July 16, 2008, 02:11 PM

Now if HD would just bring the XR1200 to the states

"They should have sent a poet"
Unread
  (#7)
Nubbs ban yourself!

July 16, 2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buell2001b
I hope that HD somehow makes MV and Buell sahre knowledge to continually improve the brands as they have done so good with Buell so far.
I think getting the MV engineers to HD will be a great addition for high performance technology.
The harley brand is like it is because the people who buy Harley's want the look, sound, and feel that it is now. They don't really want it to change too much. I have ridden many cruisers and while they all have their strong points, I have never ridden a bike that has the entire package that the harley has. Yes, you have to spend some more money to upgrade cams, heads, pipes, even piston and can size to get decent power but we all know that going in but that isn't technologies fault that is EPA and money.
With a 117 or 120inch kit on my softail I could be looking at 120hp and 115ft lb tq and that kind of tq is nothing to laugh at. Stock in the 70's so 45 more for about 5 grand with install and case boring.

The Buell, why does it need help. you seen the performance numbers, reviews and what the new 1125R is doing? many think it is a contender against Ducati and Aprilla. Rotax designed the buell engine and also the aprilla.

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#8)
You meet the nicest

July 16, 2008, 05:00 PM

5 grand on top of the 20+ to make the damn things run? I like em but there's a long line of bikes keeping a Harley out of my garage.

Rotax is a well respected engine maker. Harley went to Porche for help with emissions on the VRod motor. They're a player in the industry and can get whatever engineering talent they need. I think this is more about image and European floorspace. MV Agusta, legendary. Cagiva (bulk of the business), scooters.

We'll need a web cam for the American tourist who goes into Harley Davidson of [Euro Capital] for the obligatory t-shirt, and finds scooters in the showroom.

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#9)
Nubbs ban yourself!

July 16, 2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKDBLD
5 grand on top of the 20+ to make the damn things run? I like em but there's a long line of bikes keeping a Harley out of my garage.

Rotax is a well respected engine maker. Harley went to Porche for help with emissions on the VRod motor. They're a player in the industry and can get whatever engineering talent they need. I think this is more about image and European floorspace. MV Agusta, legendary. Cagiva (bulk of the business), scooters.

We'll need a web cam for the American tourist who goes into Harley Davidson of [Euro Capital] for the obligatory t-shirt, and finds scooters in the showroom.
You do have to consider resale and on these it is very good even today, bad economy withstanding.
American products cost more because our Pay is more, insurance is more (for workers), building space more, on and on. I don't know of any American made product that is cheap!

I have maybe 25 grand into mine and that is extended warranty, lojack, all the aftermarket stuff like cams, exhaust, air, tuner, mini tack, sissy bar and such. It really runs well enough that I can't complain. It accellerates very well for a 700lb bike but it isn't my gsxr. I don't know that I would want a 120 kit. This bike barely stops now!
The Harley is a keeper, I would like to try other bikes but that is what the gsxr is for, to sell to get other bikes!

I hear ya though, and it is a commitment to own one but many could say that about Ducati!

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
Unread
  (#10)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

July 16, 2008, 06:05 PM

Buy our beer...we buy your motorcycles.

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#11)
You meet the nicest

July 16, 2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2sport
You do have to consider resale and on these it is very good even today, bad economy withstanding.
American products cost more because our Pay is more, insurance is more (for workers), building space more, on and on. I don't know of any American made product that is cheap!
Understood, just wish I had the disposable income. Two Harleys I'd like to have is a chopped in the 60's or 70's Pan and a pro stock(ish) street rod.

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#12)
Nubbs ban yourself!

July 16, 2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKDBLD
Understood, just wish I had the disposable income. Two Harleys I'd like to have is a chopped in the 60's or 70's Pan and a pro stock(ish) street rod.
Mine wasn't disposable but after paying child support all those years, living in the back of my truck when first divorced, living in a warehouse etc. 16years later I felt like I deserved a gift. The money went from her to HD!

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
-Benjamin Franklin
Unread
  (#13)
You meet the nicest

July 16, 2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Mine wasn't disposable but after paying child support all those years, living in the back of my truck when first divorced, living in a warehouse etc. 16years later I felt like I deserved a gift. The money went from her to HD!
How sweet it is . . .

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#14)
ATTN INVESTORS!

July 16, 2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Do you know how many Honda vehicles, both cars and bikes are manufactured in the US?

How about how much money Honda and Harley puts into the hands of US workers?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/01/auto.main/index.html

Honda purchases $12 billion from US suppliers annually. Harley only generates about $6 billion in total revenue per year.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rekoniz  
Unread
  (#15)
Mr. Glass

July 16, 2008, 10:34 PM

the will find a way to ruin MV. Im really sad about this

06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman