DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 527
2 members and 525 guests
davidcycle, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Buell

LinkBack Thread Tools
Let's talk affordable 1125 R/CR mods.
Unread
  (#1)
S.R.W.J.T.S. Road Captain

Thumbs up Let's talk affordable 1125 R/CR mods. - October 20, 2011, 10:49 PM

I think I'm going to start posting in here for Buell related stuff, mainly as I'd like to get local Buellers to chat about their Buells. Badweatherbikers.com just doesn't cut it, imho. The forum style sucks... reminds me of old Geocities guest book or something. Slow, poor search capabilities, awkward archiving of threads, etc.

While it's a wealth of knowledge, I want to make local Buell friends (more than b00st and Fitz/Biff) to ride with, share some beers with, and maybe help each other with our bikes.

So let's talk affordable mods for the 1125 R or CR. Post up what you've done, how much it cost, and links/pics if possible.

I'll start:
$149 - Internatrix TW-1000 2-way pager alarm - Internatrix Motorcycle Security Systems - pretty simple to install (with the right tools, thanks b00st), nice and loud, remote works up to about 300ft
$63 - Cortech Super Mini Tank Bag - Cortech Super Mini Tank Bag - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore - black color, strap base (magnetic won't work), perfect fit/easy install. Seems like it was built for the 1125. I highly recommend.
$7 - H-D Spray Cleaner/Polish - Harley® Spray Cleaner & Polish | Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA Works wonders. Like the Franks RedHot Sauce commercials, "I put that shit on everything!!!" (except seats/belt/tires/etc).
$26 - Sylvania SilverStar H7 Headlight - OSRAM SYLVANIA - SilverStar - Just replaced (tonight!) the low-beam bulb (only for 1 CRs, hah!). Might get HIDs down the road, but this was cheap and easy/quick to install.
$20 - AmericanSportbike quick release seat-pins - A16501 - Seat Retention Kit for Firebolt and 1125 - Already installed by the previous owner.
$40 - Battery Tender Jr. - Battery Tender Junior Charger - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore - the cord is plenty long, and super simple to use. This was a must have after I experienced battery/charging issues earlier this year.

Here's a link to a thread I'd posted on BadWeb right when I got my 1125CR:
Buell 1125R Motorcycle Forum - Free and/or Cheap Mods for a stock 1125R/CR - BadWeB

You can use that for ideas... but what have you done to your 1125? Anyone done a tail-tidy yet? Which one did you use?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
it's "Leave," you idiot.

October 20, 2011, 11:00 PM

Mine is bone stock except for better rubber and new brake pads/fresh fluid.

Get the ECM to go with the exhaust. 250 bucks from EBR pretuned to your exhaust.
Unread
  (#3)

October 20, 2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post

Get the ECM to go with the exhaust. 250 bucks from EBR pretuned to your exhaust.
I'm nervous about losing engine braking.
Unread
  (#4)
it's "Leave," you idiot.

October 20, 2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly View Post
I'm nervous about losing engine braking.
You can get it with stock engine braking in tact. call their number
Unread
  (#5)

October 21, 2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post

Shoot... they raised the price now to $305. Still worth it?
Unread
  (#6)
Air-Cooled Goodness

October 21, 2011, 05:37 AM

Get a brembo m/c (19x18, 19x20, or RCS) and upgrade your brake pads.

You'll see a massive improvement over stock on both six and eight piston ZTL.

-Tommy
Unread
  (#7)
it's "Leave," you idiot.

October 21, 2011, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Shoot... they raised the price now to $305. Still worth it?
Yes its still worth it
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

October 21, 2011, 06:10 AM

I will repeat an advice I have given before, take it as you will.

There are mods that make your like look better, and you will appreciate 100% immediately.

There are mods that make your bike more feel comfortable and secure, and you will appreciate them 100% immediately.

Then there are mods that improve your bike's performance and handling. IF you are experienced and are already taking advantage of your bikes stock performance then you will appreciate the performance gains 150% immediately. But if you are still exploring your bike's capabilities and getting used to the bike then the improvements will only instill a response akin to "ooh, that's nicer...I think". The appreciation for the money you put into the bike will be minimal at best. You will have a great bike but will miss the "WOW" factor of a more experienced rider.

I remember when I first got my bike. A couple of months later my friends told me that I needed to get a new chain cause it was way too loose. I went ahead and changed it and felt an immediate improvement even though I was still inexperienced. But that's because it is a change that made the bike feel way safer, more controllable, and more responsive. However, not that much later within the same week I installed a performance air intake and changed to a shorty exhaust. Everyone told me how much of a difference I would feel. I was highly disappointed that the difference didn't really feel all that great. Although now that I am experienced, if I look back I can definitely see the difference that it made in noticeable throttle response.

Just my .02

P.S. Why am I not surprised that this thread would be dominated by Biff and McFly only. lol
Unread
  (#9)
Old Guy getting Younger

October 21, 2011, 06:48 AM

Not a local, just an old fook that likes Buell. On my 09 cr I've added the high bar kit and Uly pegs, makes the bike much more comfortable for my style of riding.

Also have the EBR ecm with the Barker slip on, the neighbors love that mod!!
Unread
  (#10)
it's "Leave," you idiot.

October 21, 2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherids View Post
I will repeat an advice I have given before, take it as you will.

There are mods that make your like look better, and you will appreciate 100% immediately.

There are mods that make your bike more feel comfortable and secure, and you will appreciate them 100% immediately.

Then there are mods that improve your bike's performance and handling. IF you are experienced and are already taking advantage of your bikes stock performance then you will appreciate the performance gains 150% immediately. But if you are still exploring your bike's capabilities and getting used to the bike then the improvements will only instill a response akin to "ooh, that's nicer...I think". The appreciation for the money you put into the bike will be minimal at best. You will have a great bike but will miss the "WOW" factor of a more experienced rider.

I remember when I first got my bike. A couple of months later my friends told me that I needed to get a new chain cause it was way too loose. I went ahead and changed it and felt an immediate improvement even though I was still inexperienced. But that's because it is a change that made the bike feel way safer, more controllable, and more responsive. However, not that much later within the same week I installed a performance air intake and changed to a shorty exhaust. Everyone told me how much of a difference I would feel. I was highly disappointed that the difference didn't really feel all that great. Although now that I am experienced, if I look back I can definitely see the difference that it made in noticeable throttle response.

Just my .02

P.S. Why am I not surprised that this thread would be dominated by Biff and McFly only. lol
Cuz everyone else looks at the title, says "LOLBUELL" and moves on.
Unread
  (#11)

October 21, 2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs750t View Post
Not a local, just an old fook that likes Buell. On my 09 cr I've added the high bar kit and Uly pegs, makes the bike much more comfortable for my style of riding.

What's your style of riding? I'm 6'3" and feeling just slightly cramped. I know the dropped Uly footpegs can help, but I wonder about the high handlebar. Your thoughts on it?

Does the EBR ecm make your whole system quieter? Or were you being facetious...
Unread
  (#12)

October 21, 2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherids View Post
But if you are still exploring your bike's capabilities and getting used to the bike then the improvements will only instill a response akin to "ooh, that's nicer...I think". The appreciation for the money you put into the bike will be minimal at best.
Good points. That's what I'm afraid of. I'm enjoying my bike as is, and I'm only looking to make minor mods/improvements, especially during the winter. HIDs, fender eliminator, de-noid, birdshot in handlebars, etc.
Unread
  (#13)
it's "Leave," you idiot.

October 21, 2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
What's your style of riding? I'm 6'3" and feeling just slightly cramped. I know the dropped Uly footpegs can help, but I wonder about the high handlebar. Your thoughts on it?

Does the EBR ecm make your whole system quieter? Or were you being facetious...
He was being facetious

As for bars.... if you want those superbike bars i have you can have em

Def. do the uly pegs but keep the stockers in case you ever want to take it to the track
Unread
  (#14)

October 21, 2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs750t View Post

Wait, what?!? Another 1125 rider... and a CR at that?!? What color do you have? I'll be back in a few hours after updating the .net 1125 owners list.

OK I'm back. That makes 6 of us so far, 4 R's and 2 CR's!
Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

October 21, 2011, 07:32 AM

cheapest mod that would save you the most money in the long run is a Valid Inspection Sticker!

Just playing....I am a bit bitter as I got a ticket for dead inspection in FFX county a few months ago.......then I got the cost in the mail and I almost instantly had a heart attack! $359.00