DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 534
2 members and 532 guests
davidcycle, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Buell

LinkBack Thread Tools
XBRR-again
Unread
  (#1)
AMA Superbike Champ

XBRR-again - April 11, 2006, 02:43 PM

FYI-

Buell XBRR Production Delayed to Enable Product Enhancements

EAST TROY, Wis. (April 11, 2006) – Citing ongoing investigation into the causes of the mechanical failures that forced the early retirement of four first production-run Buell XBRRs from their competition debut at the Daytona 200 in March and the development of upgraded components, Buell Motorcycles announced it will delay full production of its Firebolt XB12R-based race bike until late-April or early May.

“We believe we’ve identified the root causes of the failures at Daytona, but we need to do more development and testing before we’re ready to go forward with the production run,” said Erik Buell, Chairman and Chief Technical Officer. “We want to make sure these bikes are turn-key reliable for privateer race teams.”

The delay means the delivery of XBRRs to privateer race teams will not happen in time for the upcoming AMA Formula Xtreme rounds at Barber Motorsports Park and California Speedway in April. Buell said they may use the American Sportbike Racing Association/Championship Cup Series races at Road America held April 21-23 in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, for additional testing.

“Daytona was a real test for the XBRR and the dealer-sponsored teams that entered the race,” Buell said. “We learned a lot and we’re refitting those bikes and developing solutions to the problems we encountered. We won’t begin final production of the XBRR until we’re confident we’ve got these issues sorted out.”

The Buell XBRR is a limited-edition production racing motorcycle based on the Firebolt XB12R and designed exclusively for closed-course competition. It offers private racers a professional-level, race-ready, production-based platform. Buell will be producing a total of 50 XBRR motorcycles this year.

Buell Motorcycle Company, a subsidiary of Harley-Davidson, Inc., produces sport motorcycles, motorcycle parts, accessories and apparel. To learn more about Buell motorcycles, visit your local Buell dealer today and experience the pure streetfighter attitude, style and performance only found on board a Buell. Pull into www.buell.com for the Buell dealer nearest you.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Typical Stripper

April 11, 2006, 03:38 PM

Was sad to see them go down.... hopefully the next race will be better for Buell.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Cooked White Rabbit

April 24, 2006, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudist
Was sad to see them go down.... hopefully the next race will be better for Buell.
Nope it wasn't. DNF LMFAO

28. Mike Hale (Buell XB9R), -4 laps, mechanical

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=25563

1. Jason DiSalvo (Yam YZF-R6) 17 laps
2. Josh Hayes (Hon CBR600RR) -6.707 seconds
3. Kurtis Roberts (Suz GSX-R600) -11.681 seconds
4. Aaron Gobert (Hon CBR600RR) -13.836 seconds
5. Danny Eslick (Suz GSX-R600) -21.698 seconds
6. Eric Wood (Hon CBR600RR) -36.154 seconds
7. Ryan Andrews (Hon CBR600RR) -36.209 seconds
8. Brian Stokes (Yam YZF-R6) -37.218 seconds
9. Blake Young (Suz GSX-R600) -43.214 seconds
10. Ryan Elleby (Hon CBR600RR) -43.922 seconds
11. Nicky Moore (Yam YZF-R6) -49.987 seconds
12. Taylor Knapp (Suz GSX-R600) -50.249 seconds
13. Ty Howard (Hon CBR600RR) -50.760 seconds
14. Chris "Opie" Caylor (Suz GSX-R600) -50.955 seconds
15. Tony Meiring (Suz GSX-R600) -60.579 seconds
16. Keith Marshall (Suz GSX-R600), -64.427 seconds
17. Tyler McDonald (Yam YZF-R6), -71.515 seconds
18. Armando Ferrer (Kaw ZX-6RR), -85.532 seconds
19. James Kerker (Hon CBR600RR), -85.806 seconds
20. Victor Chirinos (Kaw ZX-6RR), -86.392 seconds
21. Marco Martinez (Yam YZF-R6), -91.042 seconds
22. Eric Bostrom (Yam YZF-R6), -1 lap, mechanical
23. Kenny Carlota (Suz GSX-R600), -1 lap, -51.078 seconds
24. Garrett Carter (Yam YZF-R6), -1 lap, -72.371 seconds
25. Jeremiah Johnson (Suz GSX-R600), -2 laps, crash
26. Alastair Seeley (Yam YZF-R6), -3 laps
27. Nate Hester (Yam YZF-R6), -3 laps, -29.228 seconds, DNF, crash
28. Mike Hale (Buell XB9R), -4 laps, mechanical
29. Trey Yonce (Yam YZF-R6), -14 laps
30. Johnny Rock Page (Yam YZF-R6), 0 laps, DNF

SV650r,rc51,fz1,1098

Last edited by TylerDare; April 24, 2006 at 03:47 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to TylerDare  
Unread
  (#4)
DT
Yesssssss.....

April 24, 2006, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbolt
“We believe we’ve identified the root causes of the failures at Daytona, we were riding a Buell.” said Erik Buell, Chairman and Chief Technical Officer.
Sorry Fman- this one was too good to pass up...

Good post though.

04 600RR - SOLD

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton Jr
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DT Send a message via AIM to DT Send a message via MSN to DT Send a message via Skype™ to DT 
Unread
  (#5)
Cooked White Rabbit

April 25, 2006, 08:29 AM

How about htis one
<Quote>Buell offers private racers a professional-level, race-ready, production-based platform. </quote> Race Ready ha ha ha
Could you imagine what they would be saying if every single Honda in the race had fallen out due to mechanicals? They would be ecstatic!

SV650r,rc51,fz1,1098
Unread
  (#6)
Meh

April 25, 2006, 12:35 PM

It was my understanding that the culprit was some overseas clutch components. I would love to see them get the stuff straightened out and give the I-4 Japanese bikes a run for their money.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Cooked White Rabbit

April 26, 2006, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch
It was my understanding that the culprit was some overseas clutch components. I would love to see them get the stuff straightened out and give the I-4 Japanese bikes a run for their money.
Now there is the funniest quote I have heard. They blame it on some over seas clutch components, yea I heard that one. haaaa them darn nips so good at building ships. You got to love it. They broke every rule in the book to allow this bike to race, they hype it to high heaven and in the end its the japs fault it failed!!!!!. Tell you what lets take all the Jap built parts off the bike and see how far it goes down the road. Too funny. Thanks Buell speak its so entertaining. Common Blackhatch you been around for awhile.

Seriously if they ever want to beat them they have to invest in racing and big daddy HD isn't going to do that. I'm all for a air cooled twin but you got to balance the engine. Spread the jugs apat at least 60 deg or put a balancer on there. Go racing as a factory team and filter the info gained back to the production line. That's why the Japanese are so good at it.

SV650r,rc51,fz1,1098

Last edited by TylerDare; April 26, 2006 at 09:08 AM..
Unread
  (#8)
Meh

April 26, 2006, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDare
Now there is the funniest quote I have heard. They blame it on some over seas clutch components, yea I heard that one. haaaa them darn nips so good at building ships. You got to love it. They broke every rule in the book to allow this bike to race, they hype it to high heaven and in the end its the japs fault it failed!!!!!. Tell you what lets take all the Jap built parts off the bike and see how far it goes down the road. Too funny. Thanks Buell speak its so entertaining. Common Blackhatch you been around for awhile.

Seriously if they ever want to beat them they have to invest in racing and big daddy HD isn't going to do that. I'm all for a air cooled twin but you got to balance the engine. Spread the jugs apat at least 60 deg or put a balancer on there. Go racing as a factory team and filter the info gained back to the production line. That's why the Japanese are so good at it.
Not really making that up. I know that at the Thunderbike final that the pole-setting Buell was retired after a clutch failure.

No Buell speak here. I don't have allegiance to any one manufacturer, however, I would like to see an American Company compete seeing as they invented the freaking thing.
Unread
  (#9)
Cooked White Rabbit

April 26, 2006, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch
Not really making that up. I know that at the Thunderbike final that the pole-setting Buell was retired after a clutch failure.

No Buell speak here. I don't have allegiance to any one manufacturer, however, I would like to see an American Company compete seeing as they invented the freaking thing.
Oh it's true. It's just funny that they blame it on a Japanese part when they point it out. That's the Buell Speak I'm talking about.

If your waiting on an american sport bike that might do something give up on Buell. It will not happen. Polaris might do something in the distant future but Buell never will.
The thing about Polaris/KTM sounds good but KTM is getting a bad rep for being a bastard company after the Kenny Roberts thing and some other stuff they have done.

With the FE rules I would think someone would take an air cooled Duc out there.

What ever anyone does it's going to be hard to beat a 600CC I-4 with an air cooled twin. It's just a proven design that works very well.

SV650r,rc51,fz1,1098

Last edited by TylerDare; April 26, 2006 at 03:52 PM..
Unread
  (#10)
You meet the nicest

April 26, 2006, 04:08 PM

Quote:
With the FE rules I would think someone would take an air cooled Duc out there.
I’m too lazy to research this, but I think the “unlimited modifications” may only apply to air cooled push rod motors.

I enjoy a little controversy sometimes, and this here is my favorite part:

They “modified” the engine case by melting it down and recasting it with new crank journal locations and, get this, a different alloy.

LMAO – and I thought I had some understanding of the concept of unlimited.

btw – the AMA guy who signed off on all this is no longer employed there.

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#11)
BIG SACK RYDAZ

April 26, 2006, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKDBLD
I’m too lazy to research this, but I think the “unlimited modifications” may only apply to air cooled push rod motors.

I enjoy a little controversy sometimes, and this here is my favorite part:

They “modified” the engine case by melting it down and recasting it with new crank journal locations and, get this, a different alloy.

LMAO – and I thought I had some understanding of the concept of unlimited.

btw – the AMA guy who signed off on all this is no longer employed there.
A lot of the people who signed off on the program aren't there anymore. A lot of people resigned from their positions in the AMA even before Daytona.

*EDIT*
the crank journal locations are identical as the ones before. They didn't melt anything down, they just started over from scratch with a new case.

I won 5st Place

Last edited by triplestack3; April 26, 2006 at 05:10 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to triplestack3 Send a message via AIM to triplestack3  
Unread
  (#12)
BIG SACK RYDAZ

April 26, 2006, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Wrong. The clutch parts that failed were actually a German design.

It was someone's bright idea not to build the XBRR with a slipper clutch. The riders needed a slipper clutch because of the XBRR's strong engine braking. The only person who had even thought of it was a German racer, who was selling his slipper clutches for the XB12R in Europe. The problem with that was that the people buying his slipper clutches didn't have 130+ hp bikes and the clutch components could not stand up to such hard abuse. The end result is the same old same old Buell broke down.

I won 5st Place
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to triplestack3 Send a message via AIM to triplestack3  
Unread
  (#13)
Cooked White Rabbit

April 26, 2006, 06:11 PM

Oh that makes it even funnier. You know the HD guys like Arian parts. I had heard they were Japanese parts.

I actually got the rules and read them when this all started. They can make unlimited mods for Air cooled twins that is true. The rules say if your an air cooled twin skip the rest of these rule about modifications. Now melting down the old parts and recasting is taking it a little far. LOL. I guess by that rule anything using recycled aluminum is a mod. They did melt something down I according to one of the mags I read. The rule they just can't get around is this bike is not sold as a street bike then taken and modified. It fits more into the MOTO GP rules than the FE.

Yes this created a real shake up in AMA not that they didn't deserve it. Honda even left over it. What it has done is open a whole can of worms for other manufactures like to bring in air cooled twins. It was totally inconsistent with past rulings like when Attack who at the time ran Yamaha's put a R1 engine in a r7 frame and they denied it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplestack3
Wrong. The clutch parts that failed were actually a German design.

It was someone's bright idea not to build the XBRR with a slipper clutch. The riders needed a slipper clutch because of the XBRR's strong engine braking. The only person who had even thought of it was a German racer, who was selling his slipper clutches for the XB12R in Europe. The problem with that was that the people buying his slipper clutches didn't have 130+ hp bikes and the clutch components could not stand up to such hard abuse. The end result is the same old same old Buell broke down.

SV650r,rc51,fz1,1098
Unread
  (#14)
AMA Superbike Champ

April 26, 2006, 08:13 PM

BMC DID play by the rules. They could have done a ton of machining on the heavily modified XB12 engine (hint-it's a stock engine) or they could have recast portions of it to get the same result. BMC went to AMA and asked if they could recast rather than do additional maching-they wanted more reliability-AMA gave BMC their blessing (read: no difference other than better quality). And there you have it...

Had you done a complete search on the web and prepared completely, you would have the knowledge. As it stands, you're speaking from a lack of knowledge, attempting to perpetuate the myth that BMC cheated. It is, after all, to your advantage: this places you on a pedestal for being so *SMART* and allows you to rant on a board with the false assumption you'll make friends and get laid (I guess-thats what I do...).

The fact is, this bike that BMC raced at Daytona, is practically no different than the one they raced last year. Where were you then?

BMC does not make a repli-racer. They make bikes for a niche market that obviously does not apply to you. What they do make, they have encouraged persons to race. This effort at Daytona allowed BMC maintain some semblance of control in the process rather than have Dealers run wild. The plan is for BMC to staock all the parts for the RR for better distrobution. Three words:

GET OVER IT!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#15)
Cooked White Rabbit

April 26, 2006, 08:27 PM

Where do you come up with this stuff? Make friends and get laid? Complete search on the Web? Did I miss something in the post here? I'm not sure if your talking to me or the other guys. Or any of us. Get over it, No thanks it's much to fun to watch you Buellers post replies like this.

You would think at some point you would see the truth.

SV650r,rc51,fz1,1098