DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 528
1 members and 527 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Ducati

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
pax
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

May 23, 2004, 04:12 PM

Hey all, I'm new here and I've been looking around for my first bike in a 2002 or 03 Monster 620. I read that this isn't such a bad bike for a beginner because it's light and not too powerful. I pretty much love the Monster aesthetics -- I think they are pretty damn sexy bikes. Plus, I like the standard seating position more than the full on crotch rocket seated position.

1) One concern I have is that I'm 240lbs, 6'2". Will the 620 be enough power or will I get bored with it quickly?

2) Buy a new bike or used?

I sat on an 800 yesterday at Winchester Motorsports and I could flat foot both feet no problem. I actually have an opportunity to get a red 2002 Monster 620 (2000 miles) for around $4000.

Thoughts?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to pax Send a message via AIM to pax  
Unread
  (#2)
Loves Sporking

May 23, 2004, 07:12 PM

You're on the right track, Pax. I think you might be sick of the listless 620 after only a few months. Sure it'll carry you, but at your size, you won't be overwhelmed by the 800. All of the Monsters are small. Good choice if you dig it. Comes down to the dineros. Shop around.

I know you've looked at other bikes, so if the Monster is what juices you, get it. Still you may see a bunch of posts that'll beg you check-out comparables like the SV650 (better bike for function, power, and handling), or the FZ6. AS long as you've dont your research, get the one you want.

Some buying advice from a former commodities trader... whenever you buy something, think about what you're gonna sell it for, and when. You sound like a smart buyer, so if you need help learning to ride, I'm happy to lend a hand.

Johnny V.
CCS & ASRA #67

2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2004 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
2004 Aprilia 1000 Mille R (street)
2001 Aprilia 1000 Falco (street)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
1995 Kawasaki ZX-6E (street and racing)
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
(street)
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Wing nut

May 23, 2004, 07:13 PM

The Monster 620 would make a very good first bike. It will carry your weight, although I would probably go for a Monster 800 with your height and weight. You should check around with some of the Ducati dealers as some will allow demo rides as long as you have motorcycle endorsement on your license. If you can, ride both and see which one feels better. The 620 will labor somewhat with your weight but will still be able to carry you with no problem.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to NegativeGs  
Unread
  (#4)
pax

May 23, 2004, 09:27 PM

Well, I would like to reiterate that I have no riding experience whatsoever. I can't really test drive anything. Matter of fact, I'm trying to get into the Motorcycle Safety class at the NOVA community college campuses, but the waiting lists are ridiculous. I'm trying to locate a private course if possible.

From the two posts I've seen so far, it seems that a 620 may be underpowered for me. I did sit on a Monster 800 and the dealer representative told me the 800 would be better suited for me due to my size., Afterall he was standing next to me and could see how big I was. The 800 was sweet, but then i'm not talking about $4k for a used. I would be looking at $7500 new. I'm not finding much in the used markets for Ducatis. I check the sports section of the post a couple times a week, but I haven't seen any monsters listed.

Other sources I can check for used bikes?

Thanks for the replies, fellas.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to pax Send a message via AIM to pax  
Unread
  (#5)
boxing twins

May 23, 2004, 10:08 PM

I don't know of any private motorcycle classes. There are a few MSF locations in our area. Visit http://www.learn2ride.com for specifics. You might find a closer date at a further location.

I don't consider any Ducati a good starter bike. They're expensive, maintenance intensive (desmodromo valvetrain), have a heavy clutch, uncomfortable ergonomics, and are air cooled (which becomes problematic on hot days). Admittedly, they're sexy.

The Monster 620 puts out 60HP peak. For comparison, the much cheaper, half fairing, bulletproof starter bike Kawasaki EX500 puts out 55HP. A California buddy of mine, 250lbs 6'2" learned to ride on an EX500. His skills outgrew the bike after 8 months, and he bought a VFR750.

Buy a used Suzuki SV650, Kawasaki EX500, or Suzuki GS500 (which will need aftermarket fork springs for your weight). Save your money for riding gear (helmet, gloves, jacket, boots, pants - in that order), and sell the starter bike when your skills outgrow it. If you find you don't like motorcycling, which does happen, any one of those bikes are easy to sell. In lots of cases, if you bought the starter bike used, you can sell it for the same price.

One last piece of advice: don't start riding in the streets until you've spent several hours on separate days practicing your skills in parking lots in 1st & 2nd gear. You want the basics to become habitual before you venture into the streets.

-- Chris
BMW R1100s
(previous rides: '82 KTM250, '95 CBR600F3, '98 Buell S3T, 2000 Hayabusa, 2008 R1200R)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hayabusafiend  
Unread
  (#6)
pax

May 24, 2004, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegativeGs
The Monster 620 would make a very good first bike. It will carry your weight, although I would probably go for a Monster 800 with your height and weight. You should check around with some of the Ducati dealers as some will allow demo rides as long as you have motorcycle endorsement on your license. If you can, ride both and see which one feels better. The 620 will labor somewhat with your weight but will still be able to carry you with no problem.
Well, I'm disappointed. I went to look at that Monster 620 for $4k. First off, the bike had been totalled before. He bought the bike from a guy who buys totalled bikes from insurance shops. I quoted your post because you are 100% right about your attitude towards buying a bike. This first bike won't be my last bike, and I will lose money on the Ducati. The gas tank had craters in it -- although he had a spare Ducati tank with scratches where a jacket zipper almost certainly was the cause. The handle bars were scuffed, but he had new bars to put on. Both exhaust pipes were scraped badly. This bike had been totalled and he was restoring it. This is not what I am looking for in a used bike.

I am going to turn my focus towards the SV650S. That bike seems pretty comparable, and from what I read, more powerful than a 620 Monster.

Thanks for the replies in this thread and my other thread re: monster maintenance costs.

I think I'll be buying japanese for my first bike. Ducati parts really _are_ that expensive.
Unread
  (#7)
Wing nut

May 24, 2004, 08:48 PM

You won't be disappointed with the SV650. When you upgrade to something else later, you can turn it into an excellent track bike.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to NegativeGs