DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 549
1 members and 548 guests
2blueyam
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Ducati

LinkBack Thread Tools
Audi to buy Ducati?
Unread
  (#1)
SUPERBITCHIN'

Audi to buy Ducati? - March 12, 2012, 10:14 AM

Audi has struck an exclusive deal giving it first rights to buy Italian superbike manufacturer Ducati, CAR can reveal.

The exclusivity deal gives Audi until mid April when the deal will likely be finalised, according to high-ranking sources contact by CAR.
Ducati's liabilities are said to be in the area of €800 million, and our sources suggest the total purchase price is about €850m. This is a bold move by Audi, which sees the long-term advantage in moving into two wheels as well as four.
Why is Audi buying Ducati?

It's all part of Project Eagle, another brainchild of Volkswagen group scion Ferdinand Piech. He has been eyeing up the opportunity of buying a prestigious motorcycle brand for some time, and considered reviving Horex, a German motorbike firm which made single- and twin-cylinder bikes from 1936 to 1956.
But Horex doesn't have enough brand recognition, so when Bologna-based Ducati came up for sale the VW Group paid close attention. Especially since Mercedes-Benz recently entered into a cross-promotional deal with Ducati.
Ducati, which makes around 40,000 motorcycles a year, is on the market since its debt burden is reportedly higher than its revenues.
Who else might buy Ducati?

India´s Mahindra, Daimler and Volkswagen are said to be among the leading suitors, but CAR can reveal that Audi has struck an exclusivity deal giving it first dibs on Ducati.
A small team of advisors has been formed in Ingolstadt under the Project Eagle name and they're currently doing due diligence on the Ducati deal. According to our insiders, there is no way Audi will pay telephone numbers for Ducati. Instead, the Germans will probably put no more than €50m to €100m on the table - but absorb the new partner's substantial liabilities.
Ducati chairman Andrea Bonomi has in the past pointed out that he views 'Ducati as the two-wheel equivalent of Audi', a perception Ferdinand Piech would likely agree with. In 2008, Piech said it was a mistake not to have bought Ducati when the company was on the brink of brankruptcy before. Four years later, Volkswagen is now closer then ever to making the chairman's vision complete.
But first of all, the Audi delegation must take a deep dive into the Ducati R&D department and check out the Borgo Panigale production facility. After all, it takes more than a strong name to make Project Eagle fly.

Audi to buy Ducati

E che cazzo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}  
Unread
  (#2)
Give me the Ban Button!

March 12, 2012, 10:26 AM

Oh how I wish this would happen. It would be so awesome to have a Ducati as my company car.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#3)
I hate Hybrid drivers

March 12, 2012, 10:30 AM

Waste of money, will result in failure.

Spyker > Saab
AMF > Harley
Dodge > Benz
Ford > Volvo

And so on....
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Give me the Ban Button!

March 12, 2012, 10:41 AM

Not necessarily, Benz bought Chrysler for their distribution and infrastructural. They took what they needed from the company and than sold what was left off.
Spyker bought Saab because Saabs head was on the chopping block and got them for what was a good deal. The problem was that Saab was so reliant on GM that Spyker was never able to build a good foundation for Saab as its own company. Saab should have been out of business decades ago and has been grasping for air since.
AMF and Harley was never going to be a good fit. HD had a reputation and a following and to many changes were not going to go over well.

Ducati needs more structure and needs to grow up into a big boy company. Audi can bring that to the table. Remember that while Audi is listed as the buying company it is in the end VW that will own Ducati.

MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#5)
Mojito Anyone?

March 12, 2012, 10:49 AM

DO ITTTTTTTTT

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#6)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

March 12, 2012, 11:48 AM

I can see faulty electrical systems in the future for Ducati.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#7)
Ni Hao Ma, Bitches!

March 12, 2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
have you not ridden a 90s ducati?

2006 Husqvarna 510sm
2006 Honda 919
1995 Ducati MOnster 900 - sold
2000 Suzuki GSXR 600 Track Bike - sold
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lemond Send a message via AIM to lemond Send a message via MSN to lemond  
Unread
  (#8)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

March 12, 2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemond View Post
have you not ridden a 90s ducati?
Future Son!

We all know the older ducatis did better as garage queens...

-Ryan
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

March 12, 2012, 02:19 PM

Ducati should be acquired by one of the Japanese bike brands.

They have the knowhow to get Duc in shape in terms of quality, manufacturing setup, distribution, finances, everything.
Unread
  (#10)
konichiwa bitches

Location: Over to the left, up a little more....right there!!....FFX
March 12, 2012, 02:19 PM

Being a fan of Audi and VW this excites me.....as long as they do not screw up Ducati.

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

"I'm pretty sure God would consider it a sin not to glorify that ass."

http://www.mrsimcard.com/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lqdgrphcs Send a message via AIM to lqdgrphcs  
Unread
  (#11)
Give me the Ban Button!

March 12, 2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
Ducati should be acquired by one of the Japanese bike brands.

They have the knowhow to get Duc in shape in terms of quality, manufacturing setup, distribution, finances, everything.
I think that would be the worse this that could happen to the company. You are correct that the Japaneses company run extremely well but they also lack soul and individuality.

Another plus is Audi is a racing company. They like winning and put a lot of money and effort into winning everything they enter.

Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

March 12, 2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubbs View Post
I think that would be the worse this that could happen to the company. You are correct that the Japaneses company run extremely well but they also lack soul and individuality.

Another plus is Audi is a racing company. They like winning and put a lot of money and effort into winning everything they enter.
Companies do not have soul and individuality. They have marketing budgets. Since premium brands can't compete on price, they compete on imagined soul and individuality and whatever else they stick in their commercials.

There used to be days when Apple made their own hardware and their own software. Then they finally transitioned to Intel based infrastructure and OS which is basically Linux behind the scenes with Mac look. I don't think it hurt their image one bit. And Macs are better than ever.

Who owns Jaguar, Aston Martin, Land Rover? Good old Ford. Actually, it's even worse... Ford sold Jaguar and Land Rover to Indian econobox maker Tata Motors. haha...

Who owns Bentley? Econobox maker WV. (At least that is their image in Europe.)

My point is that lots of niche luxury brands are owned by big conglomerates who have the R&D money and expertise to make these niche brands competitive. Being under Yamaha umbrella would be a huge boost to Ducati. It's not like Yamaha would just stick their engines into Ducs. They can share knowledge and huge library of patents and parts and distribution networks and suppliers and economies of scale.

Reality is that these niche brands simply do not make enough money to have the sort of R&D budget necessary to compete with the big boys - they may get lucky here and there, but it's impossible to do long term.
Unread
  (#13)
Give me the Ban Button!

March 12, 2012, 03:52 PM

Ok good point. Now put Ducati under a company umbrella that does more in revenue that I would venture to guess all 3 major Asian bike manufactures. I think Ducati would be a good fit and addition to the VW family. VW has proven that it can take these niche companies and turn a profit with them.

On another note look what Ford did to Jag and Rover.

Unread
  (#14)
Officially Addicted to Posting

March 12, 2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubbs View Post
Ducati needs more structure and needs to grow up into a big boy company.
LoL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Moar LoL!

I'm not a leg humper... but I'm super attracted to how fucking stupid she is! - wildjester

Castle: rob, potbelly, stat. i brought the bike, wanna ride 2 up??
ClemsonJeeper: omg i'm in now!
Castle: fvck, did i just put that in the sb?
Unread
  (#15)
Power One User

March 12, 2012, 03:57 PM

You make it sound like Ducati is floundering or needs manage ment help in some way. They are doing better sales wise and have some of the most advanced technology out there in their bikes. MotoGP performance last year aside, they have been dominating racing in WSBK on a bike that was designed in 2007.

Even though Rossi hasn't done anything on their GP bike, he is still selling a shit ton of merchandise and I am sure a few bikes to boot.

The are getting bought because the investment group that bought them before bought low and can now sell high.

The last thing Ducati needs is Japanese ownership.

CCS AM #710

Tags
audi