DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:



Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 533
3 members and 530 guests
davidcycle, nootherids, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Ducati

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Ducati 899
Unread
  (#1)
Eddie would go ...
 
Dutch's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,507
Join Date: April 16, 2006
Ducati 899 - August 20, 2013, 11:03 PM

This is making the rounds as a spy shot of the upcoming Lil' Panigale



more at EICMA no doubt


Based on the 1199′s “frameless” setup, this bike will be equipped with a smaller motor, double-sided swingarm and a lower price tag.

The 899 will be the latest in a proud history of mid-capacity Ducatis that ape the design, styling and mechanical configuration of their larger, Superbike brothers. The 748 looked like a 916, the 848 looked like a 1098 and now the 899 adopts most of what makes the 1199 so special. With no visible perimeter frame, it appears to use the same stressed motor with the airbox doubling as a front subframe and the rear subframe bolted to the rear cylinder of the v-twin.

In addition to the smaller capacity engine, the 899 is equipped with a cheaper, double-sided swingarm, different wheels and lower-spec front suspension and radial brake calipers. Expect the all-new engine to make something in excess of the current 848 Evo’s 140bhp figure.


Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#2)
Groping is a skill...
 
turkishexpress's Avatar
 
Posts: 14,997
Join Date: May 3, 2008
Location: Chicagoland
August 21, 2013, 01:05 AM

The double sided swingarm looks a bit weird but I won't miss the 170 foot pounds rear axle nut figure the single sided swingarm demands. Speaking of the 899 I saw a 999 the other day







2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned


I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#3)
konichiwa bitches
 
lqdgrphcs's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,968
Join Date: April 14, 2005
Location: Over to the left, up a little more....right there!!....FFX
August 21, 2013, 06:49 AM

Damn......I know it was not popular opinion but there was something about the 999 I really liked and that tail section is a distinct improvement.


XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

"I'm pretty sure God would consider it a sin not to glorify that ass."

http://www.mrsimcard.com/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lqdgrphcs Send a message via AIM to lqdgrphcs  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#4)
Traction Control
 
Tecknojoe's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,969
Join Date: May 6, 2009
Location: The hell out of VA
August 21, 2013, 07:41 AM

899 exceeds the middleweight class limits, doesn't it? So no racing?


KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#5)
Sewing Machine Rider
 
big_sur's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,934
Join Date: October 16, 2011
Location: Elevation 7,442'
August 21, 2013, 08:06 AM

I love how they just keep increasing displacement to keep up. Soon their "middleweight" is going to be a 1000cc.

On the bright side, maybe this will freshen up the smaller bikes. They've been left alone for quite some time now with all the fancy liter bikes that have been coming out.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#6)
AMA Superbike Champ
 
Macon663's Avatar
 
Posts: 756
Join Date: January 10, 2007
Location: Rockville, MD
August 21, 2013, 08:25 AM

Yea, hopefully this starts a middleweight bike revolution again. Been 5 years at least since manufacturers made good progress. The new 636 doesn't count. cheater motor.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#7)
GP Racer
 
Posts: 1,307
Join Date: February 11, 2012
Location: Northern VA
August 21, 2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
I love how they just keep increasing displacement to keep up. Soon their "middleweight" is going to be a 1000cc.

On the bright side, maybe this will freshen up the smaller bikes. They've been left alone for quite some time now with all the fancy liter bikes that have been coming out.

This, at almost 900cc's there is no such thing as a middle weight bike anymore from Ducati. Your options are insane and even more insane. I have often wondered about this issue of factories making larger and larger displacements. What will the sport bike scene look like in 30 years? Will we all be running +1500cc bikes? Will middle weight actually be 1000cc's? What happened to makeing a 750cc better instead of bigger? I mean look at the 2007 999 superbike. That was considered BEAST big dawg. Now less than 8 years later the middle weight is knocking on the 999's door.

As a non racer, am I missing something? Cause all this middle weight bike is gonna do is put an average rider who is thinking they can handle a lesser version of a superbike, in the seat of basically what was considered a superbike 10 years ago.


----------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTorch7 View Post
So in summary you're a little bitch, nobody believes your bitchass about anything, you look like a bitch, you sound like a whiny bitch and you've probably been a bitch for a long time.

All I want to know, how old were you when you realized you were a bitch? or did someone else have to tell you?

The only thing you can Jocky is the keyboard, so why dont you stfu Bitch
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#8)
Traction Control
 
Tecknojoe's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,969
Join Date: May 6, 2009
Location: The hell out of VA
August 21, 2013, 09:22 AM

Meh I can see it being fun. But as a racing enthusiest, I don't want to see them wasting resources on something like the gsxr 750. I mean, whats the point of that bike? beyond a nice street bike and fun track day tool, it just seems like a waste


KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#9)
AMA Superbike Champ
 
Macon663's Avatar
 
Posts: 756
Join Date: January 10, 2007
Location: Rockville, MD
August 21, 2013, 09:38 AM

The bottom line for ducati from a performance stand point is that its easier for the other inline 4 cylinder manufacturers to extract more and more performance out of their engines than it is for the desmo. So for ducati to keep up, they have to up the displacement.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#10)
AMSOIL/NGK Dealer
 
DC-MOTO's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,959
Join Date: October 1, 2003
Location: Virginia
August 21, 2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecknojoe View Post
899 exceeds the middleweight class limits, doesn't it? So no racing?
As it stands right now it does.


CCS #133 AM

For all of your oil and filtration needs go to www.dc-moto.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DC-MOTO Send a message via AIM to DC-MOTO  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#11)
Officially Addicted to Posting
 
Posts: 6,188
Join Date: January 14, 2009
Location: On a plane
August 21, 2013, 03:06 PM

Has there been any real confirmation that the engine will actually be 899cc?

for being able to use normal PitBull stands
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to HenryW  
Reply With Quote
when does it stop?
Unread
  (#12)
GP Racer
 
Posts: 1,307
Join Date: February 11, 2012
Location: Northern VA
when does it stop? - August 21, 2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macon663 View Post
The bottom line for ducati from a performance stand point is that its easier for the other inline 4 cylinder manufacturers to extract more and more performance out of their engines than it is for the desmo. So for ducati to keep up, they have to up the displacement.
So they need to change something besides the displacement BECAUSE the other contenders can extract more power out of an engine. Don't you think when the displacement is raised to allow Ducati's bike in; the other companies will just have a higher displacement platform to work on also? Wouldn't this just result in them extracting more power out of it? Forcing Ducati have to make another bike in 4 years with another 100cc bump to stay competitive. I understand Ducati is all about the engine, but they also used to be all about the frame. They lost the frame to stay competitive, question is when do they switch the engine to something on an even displacement playing field with the others? Do they ever do that?

The way I see it, it's a race to the 1000cc mark and the death of the middle weight. Sad part is Ducati can't even win at the 1000cc mark now. They need 1199.

I'm not hating. I'm just saying Ducati looks like they will always have to have a bigger engine just to keep up. I've read where people say Ducati is cheating and "bullies" officials to get their displacement increases, which as a Ducati fan sucks to hear.


----------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTorch7 View Post
So in summary you're a little bitch, nobody believes your bitchass about anything, you look like a bitch, you sound like a whiny bitch and you've probably been a bitch for a long time.

All I want to know, how old were you when you realized you were a bitch? or did someone else have to tell you?

The only thing you can Jocky is the keyboard, so why dont you stfu Bitch
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#13)
Groping is a skill...
 
turkishexpress's Avatar
 
Posts: 14,997
Join Date: May 3, 2008
Location: Chicagoland
August 21, 2013, 08:15 PM

Like they have done so in GP, Ducati will probably have to transition it's traditional motors from L-Twins to V4s or even inlines on their race bikes to compete with the rest of the manufacturers.


2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned


I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#14)
unapologetic
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,822
Join Date: August 21, 2004
Location: banging a hammer
August 21, 2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qcslvr View Post
So they need to change something besides the displacement BECAUSE the other contenders can extract more power out of an engine. Don't you think when the displacement is raised to allow Ducati's bike in; the other companies will just have a higher displacement platform to work on also? Wouldn't this just result in them extracting more power out of it? Forcing Ducati have to make another bike in 4 years with another 100cc bump to stay competitive. I understand Ducati is all about the engine, but they also used to be all about the frame. They lost the frame to stay competitive, question is when do they switch the engine to something on an even displacement playing field with the others? Do they ever do that?

The way I see it, it's a race to the 1000cc mark and the death of the middle weight. Sad part is Ducati can't even win at the 1000cc mark now. They need 1199.

I'm not hating. I'm just saying Ducati looks like they will always have to have a bigger engine just to keep up. I've read where people say Ducati is cheating and "bullies" officials to get their displacement increases, which as a Ducati fan sucks to hear.
I am currently having a blast racing in the Lightweight classes on an SV650SBK. I am also having a blast racing against 2 other racers who happen to be on air cooled Ducati 1000 motors that are legal in CCS for lightweight. One of the racers is on board a Bimota 1100 that has a handmade trellis frame and a motor out of a Multi-Strada (or a hyper motard, Chad could chime in and say for sure) but because it's air cooled it's given the thumbs up. I think Ducati has always fought off the perils of Japanese race tech with pumping larger displacements into their production. Personally it's kind of satisfying to know that I can give them fits on bikes that cost 4x what mine does.


"ride on #47, ride on"

on the internet you can be anyone you want, it's strange that so many people choose to be so stupid
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#15)
Toe Dragger
 
DucDucGoose's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,862
Join Date: August 31, 2007
Location: Winchestertonvillebridge
August 22, 2013, 09:11 AM

The engine displacement difference is due to the fact the engine is a twin.. in order to make more HP, displacement has to go up, it is an engine limitation. Short of Ducati going to a 4 cylinder, they will always have more displacement than the others.. that is the reason that they are allowed to run larger displacements.. It is inherent to twins.

Hollywood, the Bimotas would be running the SS1000 motors more than likely.. Realistically the Multi 1000 engine is the same, with different exhaust. The Hypers were all 1100's.


Chad
Sales Manager Duc Pond Motosports
I Make you Ducati Dreams Come True... LOL! Seriously! I do!

1999 Ducati 996 (sold)
1998 GSXR600 track bike (shamu) sold..
2008 Kwaki Versys sold...
2006 VFR800 Sold..
2001 Road King? Yep....
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © 2002-2010 by DCSportbikes.net. DCSportbikes.net is owned by End of Time Studios, LLC.