DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 579
1 members and 578 guests
tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Ducati

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#16)
Sewing Machine Rider

October 30, 2013, 11:39 AM

I understand it when the bike is still under warranty, but if it's goodwill warrantied, it's completely under your discretion and you can make a judgement call as to if someone screwed up their own bike. You also have records as to if you performed the service. I don't see resetting a service light as signing off that the work was done. It's just removing an annoying idiot light so the customer doesn't have to look at it. I would rather just not have them on motorcycles because I'm not retarded and I can follow a maintenance schedule without a computer reminding me to do so.

I understand it's probably a Ducati Policy, and you guys likely have little or no say in it, but as a consumer in Ducati's target demographic, I see the push to make motorcycles "black boxes" requiring service from a dealer even after warranty as a cash grab and it doesn't exactly endear the brand with me.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#17)
I'm a llama again!

October 30, 2013, 01:07 PM

I have to agree here, for me it's a bitch because I ride my bike way more then most. I put a ton allot of miles a week on it and I take care of all the fluid changes and such myself. I also do it more often the Duc calls for. So for me it is a massive pain in my ass to take my bike to the shop for a oil change. This is something I can do myself when I have time on the weekends and be on my way. For a shop to have it for a day or days is to much of a pain. On both me and my wife.

Yeah I am old enough to know better. Thing is, I just don't care.
Unread
  (#18)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

October 30, 2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
I have to agree here, for me it's a bitch because I ride my bike way more then most. I put a ton allot of miles a week on it and I take care of all the fluid changes and such myself. I also do it more often the Duc calls for. So for me it is a massive pain in my ass to take my bike to the shop for a oil change. This is something I can do myself when I have time on the weekends and be on my way. For a shop to have it for a day or days is to much of a pain. On both me and my wife.
Wait. You *HAVE* to go to a dealer for an oil change?

That's just stupid. I don't mean kinda stupid. But retarded, not owner friendly, and a cash grab kinda stupid. Then again, the demographic seems to be similar to HD. Go someplace, overpay for coffee, shine bike in parking lot, brag about the manufacturers posted specs to others like they care, ride home and leave in garage for weeks. Unless of course there is a new shirt/hat/sneaker/key fob with the brand name on it so you can overpay for the privilege of advertising for them, then you would drive to the shop straightaway to get one to wear on Sunday.

Oh wait. Was that too snarky?

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#19)
No more 1050 :(

October 30, 2013, 01:16 PM

...or just ignore the silly light/ indicator? If this somehow affected the performance of the bike, I'd agree with you two... since it affects nothing other than looking at my instrument cluster and seeing a little wrench or whatevs, I don't really care.

Doing your own maintenance will not void the warranty.
Unread
  (#20)
Toe Dragger

October 30, 2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
I understand it when the bike is still under warranty, but if it's goodwill warrantied, it's completely under your discretion and you can make a judgement call as to if someone screwed up their own bike. You also have records as to if you performed the service. I don't see resetting a service light as signing off that the work was done. It's just removing an annoying idiot light so the customer doesn't have to look at it. I would rather just not have them on motorcycles because I'm not retarded and I can follow a maintenance schedule without a computer reminding me to do so.

I understand it's probably a Ducati Policy, and you guys likely have little or no say in it, but as a consumer in Ducati's target demographic, I see the push to make motorcycles "black boxes" requiring service from a dealer even after warranty as a cash grab and it doesn't exactly endear the brand with me.
I completely understand guys, I really do... hell, we all do. If the kike is 5 years old, we can probably take care of that for you, but you would be shocked, well probably not, as to what some people are capable of... and turning off that light can open us up as a business... welcome to 'Murrica, home of the litigious.

Chad
Sales Manager Duc Pond Motosports
I Make you Ducati Dreams Come True... LOL! Seriously! I do!

1999 Ducati 996 (sold)
1998 GSXR600 track bike (shamu) sold..
2008 Kwaki Versys sold...
2006 VFR800 Sold..
2001 Road King? Yep....
Unread
  (#21)
I'm a llama again!

October 30, 2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucDucGoose View Post
I completely understand guys, I really do... hell, we all do. If the kike is 5 years old, we can probably take care of that for you, but you would be shocked, well probably not, as to what some people are capable of... and turning off that light can open us up as a business... welcome to 'Murrica, home of the litigious.

Yeah it does suck, and I want to be clear my comments are no way directed at your shop or any shop for that matter. I have dealt with your shop for parts and have had nothing but a wonderful experience. Plus I have been out for some of the events you have had and they were great.

Yeah I am old enough to know better. Thing is, I just don't care.
Unread
  (#22)
Toe Dragger

October 30, 2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
Yeah it does suck, and I want to be clear my comments are no way directed at your shop or any shop for that matter. I have dealt with your shop for parts and have had nothing but a wonderful experience. Plus I have been out for some of the events you have had and they were great.

No worries at all! I know where you are coming from, I just wanted to make sure that people understood the rationale behind it.. It isn't us trying to be money grubbing greedy pigs, it is covering our hineys. LOL

Chad
Sales Manager Duc Pond Motosports
I Make you Ducati Dreams Come True... LOL! Seriously! I do!

1999 Ducati 996 (sold)
1998 GSXR600 track bike (shamu) sold..
2008 Kwaki Versys sold...
2006 VFR800 Sold..
2001 Road King? Yep....