DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 538
0 members and 538 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Ducati

LinkBack Thread Tools
Ducati of Winchester, VA - Awesomeness
Unread
  (#1)
Range Rover Owner

Ducati of Winchester, VA - Awesomeness - April 21, 2013, 10:08 PM

I purchased a 2010 MT S Touring back in Feb, to satisfy my lustful desires. Only after 200 miles, the Ducati Electronic Suspension (DES) faulted, giving a Pre-Load error code; engine light on. This means the suspension is not able to adjust electronically on the fly. I searched the Ducati forums and found that some 2010's had the same problem but was covered under warranty. My bike's warranty expired 7/2012. I began to regret the purchase and immediately hated myself for buying it through private party.

I needed a shop that will go to bat for me and have superior technical knowledge. There is a Ducait dealer 15 mins from me, but they also sell other brands. I felt an exclusive dealer would be better than a multi-branded dealer. Two hours away is Ducati of Winchester or affectionately known as Duc Pond, a Ducati only shop with solid reputation.

I took it to Bill, the service manager in early March. Two weeks later, Bill told me that Ducati will furnish a brand new Ohlins shock at no cost provided I pay for the installation. The labor was quoted to be about a 3 hr. job. I was so relieved and excited to pick up my bike the following week. When I got there, fully expecting to ride the bike back, unfortunately, the error code came back again. This was supposed to checked out and tested. I was disappointed of course. Bill was embarrassed and apologized, but that the bike tested out fine. I just brought bad luck I guess. My worries returned.

Two more weeks past. Bill assured me that it is most definitely fixed this time. Ducati also furnished a new ECU. I assumed the repair cost escalated. Much to my surprise, Bill only charged me 2 hours of labor instead of the 3 hours quoted before and it included the ECU install. Bill said, the labor hours was recommended by Ducati and that's what was charged. Parts alone would have cost over $5k. I settled for a nominal labor cost. I give two thumbs up for Ducati owning up to a problem that's out of warranty and Duc Pond for complete transparency.

I rode it for 200 miles yesterday and it made me validate my purchase. What a blast it is to ride the Multi; unreal crisp handling with insane power/torque. Think of it as a superbike with super comfortable ergonomics and can go off road.

Please visit Duc Pond for all things Ducati see Chad (ducducgoose) for sales, Nate for parts, and Bill for service. They can ship nationwide. I may also add that Chad is the most if not the only active sales manager on this board. I have not seen posts from any other sales managers.

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Groping is a skill...

April 21, 2013, 10:55 PM

That's awesome bro. You didn't even buy it from them and they went to bat for you. That's the importance of going to a good dealership that has a good relationship with Ducati NA. Big thumbs up to Duc Pond

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Your Ad Here

April 22, 2013, 12:47 AM

Small, specialty houses and craft businesses that exist in a densely competitive market realize that they in part survive or falter based on their reputation and customer service.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Stand Collector

April 22, 2013, 07:34 AM

899 Panigale
Unread
  (#5)
Blah, Blah, and Blah

April 22, 2013, 09:39 AM

First, Ducpond folks are great. I am glad that they got you taken care of, and I am glad that ducati stood behind it's product.

Second, I like all of the badassness of new fangled technology that is appearing on bikes, but really 5K to fix it out of warranty. That's absurd even by Ducati's standards.

Something as simple as a ECU replacement is not a big deal in the scheme of things, but the electronic suspension (which I admittedly know nothing about working on so it maybe really easy) could be something that requires more than the average joe's knowledge or must be replaced versus repaired. I'd like to wrench on my own bikes and perhaps I am suffering from a little bit of the "back in my day" syndrome.
Unread
  (#6)
GDMFSOB

April 22, 2013, 10:47 AM

The Pond is a great place. Good to hear you got all the bugs worked out!

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#7)
Your Ad Here

April 22, 2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoples1234 View Post

Second, I like all of the badassness of new fangled technology that is appearing on bikes, but really 5K to fix it out of warranty. That's absurd even by Ducati's standards.

When a vehicle is Italian, be prepared for your anus to be violated when things break, wear, or malfunction.

True story.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
Knee Draggin!

April 22, 2013, 11:58 AM

$5k??? Damn!

Nothing I say is to be taken seriously.

2004 Black ZX636
Unread
  (#9)
I bent my wookie

April 22, 2013, 03:28 PM

Thank you for reaffirming my decision to trade in my troublestrada. I had a 2010 1200s, and as much as I loved it, your story brought back all the angst I had every time something went wrong with it.

Similarly, I had all the same issues. electrical issues, fork seals, ecu, brake etc...

BTW, get yourself about a foot of wire and stick it under the seat. If you experience the ECU error while on the road, you can disconnect the battery and drain the residual power to the bike by jumping the leads, thus resetting the ecu. I don't recommend this, and I'm sure there's some engineer facepalming themselves as they read this, but it got me home when I got an error code on a very cold feb night. I was stranded 50sh miles from home and found this little workaround on the interwebs... Bike went straight to the shop the following Tuesday morning.

All that being said, I want another one. The Strada is an amazing platform and I don't know anyone with 11s and 12s that have experienced the same issues I did. I rode mine all over the western U.S. (CO, UT, AZ, NV, CA, ID, MT, WY). I'm convinced mine was built on a Friday afternoon.
Unread
  (#10)
Groping is a skill...

April 22, 2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoples1234 View Post
First, Ducpond folks are great. I am glad that they got you taken care of, and I am glad that ducati stood behind it's product.

Something as simple as a ECU replacement is not a big deal in the scheme of things, but the electronic suspension (which I admittedly know nothing about working on so it maybe really easy) could be something that requires more than the average joe's knowledge or must be replaced versus repaired. I'd like to wrench on my own bikes and perhaps I am suffering from a little bit of the "back in my day" syndrome.
Yeah it's ridiculous. The ecu is $1500 and the rear shock is over $3K!!!

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
Range Rover Owner

April 22, 2013, 08:03 PM

i got a real good deal on the bike and it came all decked out from Altrider. and hardwired tomtom rode 2. it was too good to pass up. i negotiated with him for a week and finally drove up to the bronx and picked her up. the bike test rode fine, so i went for it.
Unread
  (#12)
Toe Dragger

April 23, 2013, 11:14 AM

Thanks so much for the kind words!! We are all really glad that we could get it the way it was supposed to be from the beginning. The 10's were the only ones that had these glitches, and as was previously mentioned, the 11's and 12's have been great. The new platform is even better than the old one too, which is scary considering how good the 10-12's really are...

Chad
Sales Manager Duc Pond Motosports
I Make you Ducati Dreams Come True... LOL! Seriously! I do!

1999 Ducati 996 (sold)
1998 GSXR600 track bike (shamu) sold..
2008 Kwaki Versys sold...
2006 VFR800 Sold..
2001 Road King? Yep....
Unread
  (#13)
got barrier?

April 23, 2013, 02:57 PM

Glad they hooked you up and got it back working again!

not the only time i've heard this happening there.
Quote:
When I got there, fully expecting to ride the bike back, unfortunately, the error code came back again. This was supposed to checked out and tested. I was disappointed of course. Bill was embarrassed and apologized, but that the bike tested out fine

DUCATI MONSTER
rubber ducky?!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dubplaya  
Unread
  (#14)
Ducati Only !

December 9, 2013, 08:15 AM

Agree, Chad is a good dude as is Nathan. Too bad they cant overcome the bad apples.
Unread
  (#15)
Too Fat To Be Fast

December 9, 2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
When a vehicle is Italian, be prepared for your anus to be violated when things break, wear, or malfunction.

True story.
I must have the wrong book?

Cheers,
Bern
13 Ducati 1199
06 Ducati PS1000LE
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to BurnCycle