DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 533
3 members and 530 guests
2blueyam, CCS762ZX6, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Ducati

LinkBack Thread Tools
Hyper VS KTM
Unread
  (#1)
( * )|( * )

Hyper VS KTM - October 5, 2007, 10:02 AM

Interesting article:

http://www.blog.desmoworks.com/?p=44

All I can say is WOW! The new Hypermotard 1100S is everything Iíve been looking for in a bike; it is the real deal. Let me start at the beginning thoughÖ

I put a deposit down on a HM1100S in January and the anticipation has been building since then. When the 1098 came out I briefly considered the S model, but I just didnít feel the same way about the 1098S as the HM1100S. In my opinion the 1098 looked like shit in the photographs, but in person it looks quite good. There are still some things I donít like, but overall I am in agreement with that bike. On the other hand, the HM1100S has looked good to me since day one when I first saw leaked and then official photographs.
Today I went to ride the KTM 950SM, KTM 990 Superduke, Ducati S4RS, and Ducati HM1100S, but the weather didnít cooperate at all. The first bike I took out was the KTM 950SM. Rick and I took off from the shop and made it about 25 miles before the rain absolutely began to poor. We continued on for a few more miles until we got to a fish market to eat lunch. While there we ran into our friend Rich and spent about an hour or hour and a half eating lunch and hanging out waiting for the rain to stop and the road to dry up.
Back on the road again we headed to a local race track. Okay, it is actually a parking lot to a school where the rich kids go. Rick uses it as his personal track. It was really quite impressive with a perfect surface, elevation changes, some s-turns connecting parking lots and not too much paint. Here I got to test the 950SM a little better.

The 950SM has one of the smoothest, or maybe even the smoothest motor of any twin Iíve ridden. The vibrations were very minimal at all RPMís. A couple of negative points stick out more than the positive however. First off, the seating position is not right for a ďmotardĒ. You sit much farther back off of the tank. Iíd compare the seating position to that of the Ducati Monster or Suzuki SV650. The bike also felt very heavy to me, not at all the same feeling of a motard. Granted it is a heavy bike, but so is the HM1100S and it fells so light! Very similar to my KTM 560SMR even though it is 130+ lbs. more. Another issue that really seemed to bother me is the lack of a tachometer. The bike is so quiet with stock exhaust and there is no tach so it is hard to tell when to shift. You have to do it with feel, but with such a smooth motor there really isnít much vibration to base your patterns off of.
Those are fairly minor gripes though! Overall it is a really good bike, but not one Iíd own considering the other options out there. The front brake setup is similar to many EU bikes. Brembo master cylinder and radially mounted 4 pad Brembo calipers. The WP suspension felt quite good even though it was not configured for me nor was I riding very hard. As for visual appeal, well that is very subjective, but the 950SM doesnít really do it for me. It would be a fine bike to own and ride, but it is not a bike that I would go to the garage and admire. This is where the HM1100S steps in.
The weather cut the day way short so I really only had time to ride one other bike since I had to get back to an event later in the day. The HM1100S that I rode had 0 miles on it so I had to keep the RPM below 6000, which I respected and obeyed. This particular bike was outfitted with the Termignoni 2into1 full system, air filter, and ECU (which took a long time to fit without instructions!).
The strongest first impression of the bike was the seating position. It really felt like a motard! Maybe even more than my 560SMR - on the HM you really almost sit over the front wheel. It is quite strange for the first few miles, but it gets very comfortable quickly.

Once riding the first thing I noticed is how easily the bike transition from side to side. This bike handles much like a true motard. The weight is really not noticeable at all - on the road it feels light and like I said, it is amazingly nimble. The HM1100S shares the same monobloc calipers that the 1098/S has and they are quite amazing! It will stop anywhere you want it whenever you want it, just tell it what to do!
Even in keeping the bike under 6000 RPM there was plenty of power. The motor is smooth and really pulled well. I would have liked to take it above 6000, but honestly for street riding the 6000 limit was totally fine. It pulls super hard with gobs of torque from just above 4000 RPM on to some unspecified upper limit.
My bike will be the next one to arrive so I should see it quite soon, probably a week or two. Iíve also ordered the race seat which has arrived and is going to be a must have for the HM owner. As well Iíve ordered the race cams and ECU kit with the intention of buying an aftermarket full system once they become available. I like the 2into1 full system much better than I thought I would, but I still donít like the fact that it replaces the carbon fiber S side panels with plastic. Hopefully the aftermarket will come through with some great full systems in a timely fashion.
The rest of my parts should be in soon too. Some random carbon fiber and what not, but also Iíve already got an STM slipper, slave cylinder and titanium clutch cover.

The exhaust is claimed to save around 15 lbs. which I believe after holding the stock pieces! I think another spot for future weight savings will be the sub frame. It is steel on the bikes due to it having to hold 2 people. I am thinking about trying to contact someone to make them in aluminum. It wouldnít be a huge savings, but a savings none the less.
The bike above has the emissions equipment removed minus the bracket, it is going to be removed. With those three things changed there is a loss of around 20lbs.
Couple that with a new lightweight slipper clutch, billet foot rests, and triples and I think youíll start to see the numbers fall more. We should be able to get this bike to a nice number without too much work, just money. Honestly though, it doesnít feel too heavy to me at all.

I think Iím going to start hounding SpeedyMoto to hurry up and make some triples for this bike. The stock cast units are really lame with such an impressive front end. The Marzocchi front forks are beautiful as well as the Brembo brakes and Marchesini wheel! but then you have that cast ďsilverĒ triple clamp.
I think this bike needs a black machined triple setup as well as some new foot rests that match the triples. The positioning of the foot rest is fine except it would be nice to have an adjustable angle of the peg - maybe a little adjustability all around would be nice just for the optimum setup, but I think where they are is fine for the riding position. To me the foot rests just donít match the level of the bike, but that is how Iíve always felt about the stock foot rests from Ducati.
Now on to the most important part, which I accidentally left out of the first part. I think it will be fairly easy to back this bike in! Maybe not like Xaus, but us mere mortals shouldnít have too much trouble. With the seating position, weight bias and great front brakes I bet it will be about as easy as my 560SMR. Iíll let you know when mine arrives and I have a chance to do it (obviously not on the street!).
Enough for now thoughÖ Iíll share some more random thoughts later on once I get my bike!

Click here to see all of the photos from this set on my flickr account.

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

October 5, 2007, 02:33 PM

HM is getting alot of praise, and it looks like there's something to that. Regardless of specs, HM seems to be winning based on the 'fun' factor. Righfully so. It's a very unique bike. The next time there's a Ducati test ride day, this is the bike I want to try out.

The article itself isn't that great and I will the US mags (and bike mags in general) hired better riders, did more riding, and actually said what substantially sucks about a particular bike. This guy seemed to take it for a mild spin around the block to draw his conclusions. I want someone who takes it on a weekend 800 mile loop including everything from twisties to some dirt.
Unread
  (#3)
( * )|( * )

October 5, 2007, 02:47 PM

Yeah, his article started out well but fell short. I haven't taken mine for a proper ride so I'll post up once I do.

However, from the rides I have done on the hyper...so far it is by far the most fun I've had on the street on any motorcycle.

I'm not going to say it's for everyone but for me it's exactly what I want.

Chris
Unread
  (#4)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

October 5, 2007, 03:07 PM

OK were do i begin? Th HM vs the KTM well first off the HM is 2 inches in wheelbase shorter but also has almost 3 inches less suspension travel. The Hm has about a 150 cc bigger motor but make less hp? Confused about that. The Hm weighs the same but in a shorter package which would explain the better feel. The HM really isn't a motard persay cause you will not see one offroad or doing big jumps like the KTM. As a Ducati rep said himself "KTM comes from the dirt and we come from the road race track". So sompare the SuperDuke R to the HM S and then we can see!!!

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#5)
( * )|( * )

October 5, 2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131
OK were do i begin? Th HM vs the KTM well first off the HM is 2 inches in wheelbase shorter but also has almost 3 inches less suspension travel. The Hm has about a 150 cc bigger motor but make less hp? Confused about that. The Hm weighs the same but in a shorter package which would explain the better feel. The HM really isn't a motard persay cause you will not see one offroad or doing big jumps like the KTM. As a Ducati rep said himself "KTM comes from the dirt and we come from the road race track". So sompare the SuperDuke R to the HM S and then we can see!!!
Yeah...I agree...the SuperDuke VS HM is a much better comparison since neither of them are supermotos.

I like the superduke...always have but I like the HM much more...that's just my preference. Honestly, is ANY bike really that much better...some could argue that it comes down to rider and their preference.

Is ANY bike faster than another...unless we're talking about straight line in the turns (where it really counts) again...it's all about rider IMO.

I love my HM...it does everything I want better than I expect it to...for jumps/dirt I have my trusty DRZ.

So...for me the SuperDuke VS HM? Both great bikes...can't really go wrong either way.

Chris