DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 533
1 members and 532 guests
2blueyam
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Ducati

LinkBack Thread Tools
I knew it would happen but this soon? (hyper problem)
Unread
  (#1)
( * )|( * )

I knew it would happen but this soon? (hyper problem) - August 30, 2007, 10:20 PM

Not even sure where to begin but I was riding the bike normal. As I approached an intersection I was in 3rd gear and when I shifted into 2nd gear the shifter (pedal) stuck in the down position. It does not move but I was able to limp the bike home in 2nd gear.

Bike doesn't even have 500 miles and it has already broken down so I'm disappointed, I really expected better quality so I guess I'll have to haul it to the dealership to get it fixed under warranty.

Aside from that the bike has been perfect.

If anyone has heard of this before please post info on what it could be.

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Agitator

August 30, 2007, 10:30 PM

http://webpages.charter.net/strysnie...ifter-fix.html
thats for an ST2...which was the 1000cc non-dual spark motor...but IIRC nearly every duc trans is identical in operation. Something to think about. (result of a quick googling...I would call the dealer who delivered the bike and ream them a new one)

from what I gather, its an adjustment issue that can rear its head...since ur bike is brand new, of a new model, I would bet it wasn't set just right from the factory. take it to dealer and have it looked at, but personally, I've never met a duc owner who had that happen...weird

also...http://www.ducati1098.net/forum/arch...php/t-470.html

let me know what your dealer says...if they give you any crap, call donnie (also, he may be closer)

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)

Last edited by birdman; August 30, 2007 at 10:40 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#3)
Meh

August 31, 2007, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousR6

Aside from that the bike has been perfect.
I'm sorry but this line cracks me up.
Unread
  (#4)
Spike

August 31, 2007, 07:19 AM

Is a Ducati, why are you surprised?

j/k, hope it is a simple fix Chris, I know you love that thing.

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#5)
( * )|( * )

August 31, 2007, 07:34 AM

I'm annoyed but the bike is under warranty so hopefully it's a quick fix becaue I've done some reading and heard of some bikes being stuck in the shop for 2 to 3 months over this issue!

I hate to say it but I fully expected this bike to break down at some point because it is a Ducati...I mean c'mon we need to be realistic.

However, after not even 500 miles? Crap...my 04 R6 with 13k miles has been flawless and then you have my 05 R6 which has been track/raced since 100 miles and that bike has been perfect...WTF...I ride the Ducati nice and easy and it breaks down.

I am hoping it's an adjustment issue, I've narrowed it down to about 3 possible problems so I guess we'll see what the deal is. I'm going to try to take it to Coleman's since they are closer if not, I'll take it back up to Speed's or the other shop in Md where Sam works.

Only good thing is this is a busy month for me so I wasn't going to be riding much anyhow so hopefully it will be fixed by the end of this month. I'll post up the results of what I find out.

Chris
Unread
  (#6)
( * )|( * )

August 31, 2007, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman
http://webpages.charter.net/strysnie...ifter-fix.html
thats for an ST2...which was the 1000cc non-dual spark motor...but IIRC nearly every duc trans is identical in operation. Something to think about. (result of a quick googling...I would call the dealer who delivered the bike and ream them a new one)

from what I gather, its an adjustment issue that can rear its head...since ur bike is brand new, of a new model, I would bet it wasn't set just right from the factory. take it to dealer and have it looked at, but personally, I've never met a duc owner who had that happen...weird

also...http://www.ducati1098.net/forum/arch...php/t-470.html

let me know what your dealer says...if they give you any crap, call donnie (also, he may be closer)
I've seen the issue on several different forums (not the hyper but as you said all Ducati's are similar when it comes to this)

It's basically one of 3 problems...each get progressively worse to fix so we'll see.

Chris
Unread
  (#7)
( * )|( * )

August 31, 2007, 07:39 AM

Interesting...I found this post:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthre...hif ter+stuck

and this was referenced as well:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=24014

Chris
Unread
  (#8)
( * )|( * )

August 31, 2007, 12:44 PM

Well, I dropped it off at Coleman's today and their tech looked it over quickly and it seems there's something going on interally.

Basically, it boils down to either something out of adjustment which the tech said would be an easy quick fix OR...the tranny will need to be replaced which means ordering it and having the motor pulled and all that mess.

Good thing is it's covered under warranty so while this sucks I'd rather this happen now instead of it being out of warranty.

Chris
Unread
  (#9)
#swag

August 31, 2007, 12:51 PM

There goes the thought of a 1098, thanks for the heads up

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#10)
( * )|( * )

August 31, 2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFORC1
There goes the thought of a 1098, thanks for the heads up
Actually, if you check out 1098-forumscom you'll see that they don't have too many issues outside of the stalling issue.

I'm curious to know whether this issue is just an adjustment of if a part failed. The research doesn't show this to be a common issue so I guess we'll see. With 500 miles it wouldn't surprise me if something just came out of adjustment.

I will post up once I get more details but aside from this the bike rocks!

Chris
Unread
  (#11)
#swag

August 31, 2007, 01:04 PM

Think I'll still stick to an 08 zx6r.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#12)
( * )|( * )

August 31, 2007, 01:07 PM

I don't consider the Ducati to be as reliable as my Yamaha's or Suzuki. However, I realized and accepted this so the nice thing is that they do have a 2 year warranty so hopefully I'll get the bugs worked out.

If you want reliability...I'd say stick to the Japanese bikes...while I'd love to race a Ducati because I really enjoy the powerband I'll stick to a Japanese bike. For now it's the R6 so eventually I'll switch to something else when I decide it's time to upgrade. (which won't be for a while at my current riding ability)

Chris
Unread
  (#13)
Typical Stripper

September 2, 2007, 08:45 AM

I know this is what you did Chris....

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#14)
Eddie would go ...

September 2, 2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousR6
I don't consider the Ducati to be as reliable as my Yamaha's or Suzuki. However, I realized and accepted this so the nice thing is that they do have a 2 year warranty so hopefully I'll get the bugs worked out.

If you want reliability...I'd say stick to the Japanese bikes...while I'd love to race a Ducati because I really enjoy the powerband I'll stick to a Japanese bike. For now it's the R6 so eventually I'll switch to something else when I decide it's time to upgrade. (which won't be for a while at my current riding ability)
I'd tend to agree with you..but I think our opinions are historically shaped (traditionally Euro bikes have been inferior but more exotic etc etc...) Think about it, for the money you put down and this day and age...should they really not be able to put out something cool and reliable as well??? Its like saying its ok for the Porsche to break down more than the Nissan....(damn...it actually does... ) . For the investment, you deserve to expect equal or better... and for the record...luv the bike man

oh and stop doing things like this with Nate:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.

Last edited by Dutch; September 2, 2007 at 01:06 PM..
Unread
  (#15)
Typical Stripper

September 2, 2007, 10:58 AM

Ouch.... SuMo suprise buttsechs

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to