DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 536
3 members and 533 guests
EGlovr, RileysDad, t84a
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 04:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Ducati

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#16)
Groping is a skill...

October 24, 2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoallafila View Post
That's a trade off: you can't have a big twin be smooth at low rpms AND have a lot of power at high rpms
Yeah you can, get the KTM

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#17)
Slowest Going Straight

October 24, 2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
I also had one loaded, full Term exhaust and DP chip, all the bags. It was a 2010 I had it 4 like four years.

IF you are trying to compare it to a GS1200 it's not a good comparison. Everything the GS does really well the Multi does a pore job of it and everything the Multi extremely well the GS is okay. Not knocking the GS in anyway but the GS is a true adventure bike in every sense of how it is built and it's hard to argue that it not the best adventure bike made.

The Multi really is not a good off road machine the rear brake fails all the time because it's to close to the exhaust and has always been weak. On the road no big deal because the front brakes are really good, better then your average sport bike but you pay the price for that.

The suspension I found takes awhile to get just right with all the mods the bike has. But when you do the bike is super nimble in traffic and getting around in tight areas. Stand on the pegs with really slow speed blip the throttle she will perk up, no one needs a bike that heavy rolling over for a belly rub.

Things that were and issue, rear brake, and the gas tank will swell because of the ethanol. Oh and watch the thumb screws for lowering and rising the wind screen I lost one because I didn't tighten it enough.

Now the good parts, the thing is hella fun!! It has tons of power, and handles on the street amazingly. In the mountains you could keep up with any sport bike.

I drag raced a Z1000 against a guy that is a drag racer and smoked that his z1000.

It was great for all day trips, even road it down to Alabama/TN boarder to my parents farm.

Only thing on my wish list for that bike was shaft drive. For a bike designed to put tons of miles on it chain maintenance was a pain.

Also if you get the bike I have a really nice machined aluminum rear axle nut tool I will sell you. Even has the torque specs machine etched on the side.

Oh and last thing if your feeling frisky and you want to wheelie the bike down rout 50 with your wife on the back. Not a problem Well in till you stop and she cusses you out. Just saying.
Thanks for that! It'll be awhile but I'm motivated to do some wheelies down rt 50.

MSF Rider Coach 166210
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#18)
Aqua Velvet

October 24, 2017, 10:23 PM

Sailor, if you want true sportbike performance in a more comfortable V-Twin platform, look into the KTM Superduke GT. Lighter, more power, quick shifter, SSSA, removable cases, better electronics, cruise control, heated grips, no PITA belts, true rear sets, Bremo M50's, semi-active WP suspension. Tons of torque to lug it where ever and the top end rush to run with the superbikes. Not to mention it comes with everything mentioned standard while a somwhat comparable Multi S is $4k more expensive.

Mind you the KTM has been dynoed by several different reviewers at 25-30+ more HP than the Multi and its alot lighter.

Last edited by Prospected; October 24, 2017 at 10:28 PM..
Unread
  (#19)
GP Racer

October 24, 2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
how (not) tall are you?

I'm 6 foot.
Unread
  (#20)
GP Champ

October 25, 2017, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkhas View Post
I'm 6 foot.
And you think the Multi is big and bulky???? Try my GSA, then come talk to me, hahaha.

2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Current)
2006 BMW R1200ST
2003 BMW K1200GT (current)
2004 Ducati 998s Final Edition (current)
1997 Aprilia RS250
1998 BMW K1200RS
2000 Ducati 998
1998 Pegaso 650
1999 Ducati 996S
2004 BMW R1150R
2005 Aprilia RSVR Factory
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Buell Ulysses
1991 Suzuki GSX-1100R
1991 Honda Africa Twin 750
2008 Mobster Lefty Trophy pitbike
2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory
1990 Aprilia Pegaso 125
1991 Ducati 888
1995 Honda CR250
1996 Aprilia RS125
1995 Aprilia Sr 50
1984 Kram-it 50
Unread
  (#21)
GP Champ

October 25, 2017, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishexpress View Post
Yeah you can, get the KTM
I can't digest their bike's lines. I like when form follows function, not so much when form follows a designer with seizures and turrets. And the engine isn't all that different from the big Duc. I think it all depends on what you are used to: if you want to have a big twin that is as smooth as an inline 4 you're shit out of luck, but as far as big twins go, they are all pretty sweet in my book right now. Wanna try something that bogs, backfires and shuts off at anything below 3k rpms, try my 998. So again, depends on what you compare it too. In my book, thems smooth as butter and having to keep them in the right range for it to perform best is part of my DNA as I learned to ride on 2 stroke sportbikes where the good range is about 4k out of 12k

2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Current)
2006 BMW R1200ST
2003 BMW K1200GT (current)
2004 Ducati 998s Final Edition (current)
1997 Aprilia RS250
1998 BMW K1200RS
2000 Ducati 998
1998 Pegaso 650
1999 Ducati 996S
2004 BMW R1150R
2005 Aprilia RSVR Factory
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Buell Ulysses
1991 Suzuki GSX-1100R
1991 Honda Africa Twin 750
2008 Mobster Lefty Trophy pitbike
2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory
1990 Aprilia Pegaso 125
1991 Ducati 888
1995 Honda CR250
1996 Aprilia RS125
1995 Aprilia Sr 50
1984 Kram-it 50
Unread
  (#22)
Mommy's Little Monster

October 25, 2017, 11:29 AM

Keep in mind that newer Multi's with the VVT or DVT (whatever they call it) are much much smoother at low end rpm's now, even if you're in the wrong gear....and the superduke gt is a relatively brand new model. Last spring I rented a 2013 Multi while out in San Francisco for a day, and it was a much less refined ride than the newer ones (2015+ I think)....which I've ridden a number of times, and have really loved.

If you decide to go a cheaper route though, I've had my FJ-09 for 1.5 years now and ~15k miles, and I've absolutely loved it. It won't have a lot of creature comforts or as much power as the other bigger bikes you mentioned, but they're super cheap lightly used and can easily do two-up and all day riding, I rode mine up to Montreal last year on a week trip, and had no issues with putting in 8 hour days in the saddle.

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
Unread
  (#23)
Slowest Going Straight

October 25, 2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospected View Post
Sailor, if you want true sportbike performance in a more comfortable V-Twin platform, look into the KTM Superduke GT. Lighter, more power, quick shifter, SSSA, removable cases, better electronics, cruise control, heated grips, no PITA belts, true rear sets, Bremo M50's, semi-active WP suspension. Tons of torque to lug it where ever and the top end rush to run with the superbikes. Not to mention it comes with everything mentioned standard while a somwhat comparable Multi S is $4k more expensive.

Mind you the KTM has been dynoed by several different reviewers at 25-30+ more HP than the Multi and its alot lighter.
I've eyeballed the GT since it first came out. Love everything I've read about it but unfortunately I'm looking more at the used market and I don't see the GT being in my price range for sometime.

MSF Rider Coach 166210
Unread
  (#24)
Slowest Going Straight

October 25, 2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8nsanta View Post
Keep in mind that newer Multi's with the VVT or DVT (whatever they call it) are much much smoother at low end rpm's now, even if you're in the wrong gear....and the superduke gt is a relatively brand new model. Last spring I rented a 2013 Multi while out in San Francisco for a day, and it was a much less refined ride than the newer ones (2015+ I think)....which I've ridden a number of times, and have really loved.

If you decide to go a cheaper route though, I've had my FJ-09 for 1.5 years now and ~15k miles, and I've absolutely loved it. It won't have a lot of creature comforts or as much power as the other bigger bikes you mentioned, but they're super cheap lightly used and can easily do two-up and all day riding, I rode mine up to Montreal last year on a week trip, and had no issues with putting in 8 hour days in the saddle.
The FJ has been at the top of my list and it's probably the smart way to go but if I got it, I'd always be wishing I had got a multistrada. I guess what i need to do is just get the Ducati and let it piss me off till I set it on fire and replace it with the FJ. Its the only way I'll learn.

MSF Rider Coach 166210
Unread
  (#25)
Groping is a skill...

October 25, 2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I can't digest their bike's lines. I like when form follows function, not so much when form follows a designer with seizures and turrets. And the engine isn't all that different from the big Duc. I think it all depends on what you are used to: if you want to have a big twin that is as smooth as an inline 4 you're shit out of luck, but as far as big twins go, they are all pretty sweet in my book right now. Wanna try something that bogs, backfires and shuts off at anything below 3k rpms, try my 998. So again, depends on what you compare it too. In my book, thems smooth as butter and having to keep them in the right range for it to perform best is part of my DNA as I learned to ride on 2 stroke sportbikes where the good range is about 4k out of 12k
See the Multi was my first vtwin so it was a big shock in terms of smoothness. The low end torque was great for sure. Getting it flash tuned helped a bit but nowhere near an I4. When I jumped on the KTM however, it was smoother out of the box. After it was dyno tuned it's smooth as can be. Still not in line with a tuned I4 but close enough for me. I also test rode the KTM 1290 Super Adventure and the 2016 MTS Enduro on the same day at MCC here in Chicago. The Enduro definitely felt more refined then my 2011 but the KTM took the cake in terms of power and smoothness. That thing is even smoother out of the box.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#26)
GP Champ

October 25, 2017, 10:27 PM

I was tossed the keys to '16 1290 SD GT last week for a Sunday spin thru WV twisties. Put about 350 miles on it. Beast of a bike!

If I were to buy one I'd get a late model 1290 SD and get a fly screen for it. It's considerably less than the GT on the used market. I really didn't care for the bulky tank and funky fairing/windscreen on the SD GT and the ergos are the same. Might be a little difference in bars is all. It's a comfy bike for me @ 6' tall, 34" inseam.

Just don't plan to keep your license long unless you have a get out of jail free card. That motor loves to be run and the handling is sharp. Not too mention that 4th gear full throttle roll-ons were just plain nutty, LOL.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#27)
Mommy's Little Monster

October 26, 2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorJack View Post
The FJ has been at the top of my list and it's probably the smart way to go but if I got it, I'd always be wishing I had got a multistrada. I guess what i need to do is just get the Ducati and let it piss me off till I set it on fire and replace it with the FJ. Its the only way I'll learn.
Probably worth a test ride at a minimum. I looked at Multi's about 2 years ago, and was verrrrrry close to pulling the trigger on a 1200S Touring. But for less than half the price, I found the FJ to be more than enough/capable for my realistic needs. Threw on some heated grips, got a throttle lock (for trips), and strapped my kriega luggage down, that's all there is to it.

That said, if money wasn't a factor and I could just choose between the two, I'd go new Multi obviously.

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600