DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 594
5 members and 589 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle, legendindisguise, Nobrains, Speed3
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Ducati

LinkBack Thread Tools
My Hyper Review
Unread
  (#1)
( * )|( * )

My Hyper Review - February 8, 2008, 03:21 PM

So now I've finally gotten some miles on the hypermotard so I figured I'd write up a review. Sadly, I have not gotten the hyper to the track so I'll limit this to my review based on riding the bike in traffic, backroads which include sweepers (yes some at triple digit speeds...tisk tisk I know) and some tight turns which require a more technical approach.
First thing is first...I'll start off with the bike from the front working my way to the back.
If we drew a line the first thing that line would hit is the front tire.

The standard Hypermotard (which is what I have so this is the bike you're reading about) comes with the Bridgestone BT04 front tire. This is a street spec tire so the feel is decent. Honestly, it performs better than I expected and in cooler weather and rain the tire has worked well. If you are smooth the tire should give you decent feedback, I found that running 34psi seems to work well. Wear is good and I have yet to push the tire even through some tight turns so if you ride at "street speeds" you will find that this tire does just fine. I would not recommend this tire for the track or demanding roads on hot days due to the fact that it is a street tire but for normal street use, it does just fine.

Next up we have the Marchesini front rim. Light, strong, beautiful...you get a stock rim that a lot of people will drool over yet performs as well as it looks. The "S" model has a forged rim which is lighter and just as strong. What does this mean? Well, the "S" model removes a little unsprung weight so handling tends to be a little more responsive which is a good thing. However, comparing the "standard" to the "S" would need a lengthy test.
Ok...so we've covered the front tire and the rim...now the brembo brakes. I found that you need to adjust the lever to get the right feel. One very important item is breaking in the pads properly. What I did was brake very lightly the first 50 miles and now the brakes feel in a word...perfect. They stop with power but not too much power. They provide excellent feedback, they're easy to trail, and consistent. Some people have not found that sweet spot so if that's the case, I'd recommend removing the pads and checking the rotors and pads for any glazing. The pads work well but they glaze easily if not broken in properly. Again, the process I recommend is to use them lightly and trail them the first 40 to 50 miles so you lay down some material on the rotors so the brakes work in conjunction with the rotors.

The forks, one of the single most important components on a motorcycle. No trust in the front leads to riding tight...riding tight can become down right dangerous in situations that require "trust" I found the forks to be rather stiff so I dialed out some rebound and the bike began to communicate much better. The standard comes with Marzocchi 50mm upside-down forks. Once you get them dialed in, they react quickly, give great feed back and you'll know when you have them dialed in because your speeds through turns will increase and you'll find that the bike is effortless to ride. Have your suspension set up properly...it's paramount to enjoying the Hyper to its true potential.

Front/Fender - Front light! Fender is unlike anything on any other bike. It's futuristic, beautiful when you stop for a moment and look at the contours, lines, and how they lead into the rest of the bike...and even the rider. The front light is bright, excellent highbeam, and fits perfectly with design and flow of the bike.
Handlebars - integrated turnsignals keep the front sleek, clean, and have purpose. The guards are usually found on supermoto/dirt bikes however, if you ride this bike in the cold or in heavy traffic they could help keep all your fingers warm and offer a small bit of protection. The fold out mirrors set the hyper apart from a lot of bikes because extended the hyper is like sitting next to someone at a dinner table while they have their elbows spread out. Personally, I like it...it screams out...this is MY LANE...MOVE!
Heads up display is bright and easy to read and comes with a number of features (too many to even begin to list but for start...a built in lap timer, highbeam flash..etc..etc..) Grips work well, they are comfortable however, you may find that the throttle needs to be tightened. I've ridden two models and both had a bit of play. Brake levers are standard, nothing fancy but are adjustable so they do their job.

While riding you will find that wind hits you in the chest. Speeds over 100mph require a tuck position where your chin needs to rest on top of the display to minimize wind buffering. Although, this bike was designed for technical types of roads. The wide bars allow quick inputs and great feedback which are opposite of a superbike which have narrow bars and are designed to slow inputs which at times can be a blessing when exiting turns while the front wheel skips around searching for grip. Since the seating position is up front, upright some people will need to get used to it since the front disappears once you sit on the hyper. Personally, I like this, when I ride a bike my goal is to get the bike as transparent as possible so when I sit on the bike I feel as though it becomes a direct extention of my body...which is the beauty of motorcycle riding because the rider controls the bike...unlike a car where you're in a chair strapped in...the car takes you around where a bike...moving your butt, arms, shoulders, etc results in an input.

Tank and shroud are beautiful, they mold pefectly into the frame/motor. The gas cap is large and easy to remove even with gloves on. Filling up the tank can lead to some splashes however, if you angle the gas nozzle forward or backwards they are rather limited. The design allows easy gripping so whether you ride the hyper road race style or supermoto/MX style the design works well. Gas mileage leads to 120 all the way down to 90 miles depending on how you ride the bike.
Motor...WOW...well, this being my first V-twin taught me the meaning of "linear response" and "torque"

The first thing I noticed when riding this bike is that it has power everywhere in every gear. Unlike an inline 4 this bike develops power consistently and has a tremendous amount of torque and bottom end power. This has taught me a lot about throttle control and smoothness. I tell people that the Hypermotard is truly a bike that can bite you if you do not respect and apply the throttle in a consistent manner. Although, because the power is so linear, you can be a bit more aggressive and step the rear out easily yet consistently which is a good thing. Never have I ridden a bike where coming out of turns often means the front is up in the air while I'm still leaned over a little. How can this be? Well first is the power delivery, an inline 4 typically responds slowly then quickly once the proper rpms are reached. With the power spread through the rpm range on the hyper, power comes in consistently so you can get on the throttle earlier, load the suspension out of turns easily and reach WOT quickly. FYI - My hypermotard has the 2-1 Termi race system which includes and air-box, ECU, and full exhaust system. Typical dynos show an increase of 5hp to the rear wheel which is around 10 to 12hp at the crank.

On the throttle the bike is both responsive and predictable, off the throttle the v-twin has a bit more engine braking than an inline 4 so it's something to get used to.
Seat is soft and comfortable. Depending on what you are used to some people find it too hard...personally, being a cyclist it's like sitting on a sofa. 3 to 4 hours are no problem, seat is grippy, comfortable, and as far as looks I give it 3 stars out of 5...sometimes I look at it and think it looks a bit too bulky.

Pegs are lower than most bikes so if you hang off they don't drag too much however, they are easy to drag so a set of rear sets may be necessary for racing/trackday riding. On the street I personally don't ride hard enough to drag knee/pegs....I save that for racing...so I haven't found them to be a problem.

Tail light doubles as a handle for passengers. It uses an LED system so it is bright, and stylish. I do not ride 2up so the first thing I did when I got home was remove the passenger pegs. To me they disrupt the flow of the exhaust and are not necessary. The rear shock is a Sachs rear shock, again, once dialed in provides excellent feedback and the front becomes rather stable. There's a lean angle point where this bike goes from sliding easily (aggressive throttle required) OR...the front wheel is lifted because the rear translates the power so well. The rear Bridgestone BT04 works well however, I recommend letting the tire heat up. Last weekend I took the bike out and the temp was round 40 degrees and I was able to spin up the first 2 gears easily. Rear rim is a Marchesi which is a work of art on a single sided swing arm. Light yet strong the rim does its job well and looks beautiful.

Exhaust + Sound! Stock exhaust sounds decent...for a stock exhaust the bike sounds good once the system has warmed up. However, that lasted approximately 3 days...I bought the Termi 2-1 race system because well...it's an 1100cc air-cooled V-twin...it's a sin not to allow this bike to "sing"

The full exhaust provided a smoother/faster throttle response in addition to probably the sickest of engine notes. The bike growls...sounds like an angry creature that wants to know why you said what you did about its mother!

Stock you can wheelie 1st through 3rd just off power...the difference is with the 2-1 exhaust....you'll ask yourself how can I possibly keep the front down? The answer is...well...you don't and why would you want to? The response is aggressive, smooth, and fun. One of the things I love most about this bike is the way the bike talks to you, it's effortless to ride, responsive, and FUN AT ANY SPEED! Yes, unlike an inline 4 this bike has power at any rpm...of course does not have the top end speed/grunt of an inline-4 however, on the street that combination is not good any how. Let's face it...hospital bills or tickets suck!

Overall, I'm happy with the bike. It is fun to ride, capable, fast, and sings to you via the exhaust note. Brakes allow confidence and great stopping power while the motor has enough raw power to shoot forward at will. This bike can be gentle but really....the bike is at home via more aggressive style of riding.

I would recommend this bike however, this is not a beginner bike, in my opinion this bike demands respect because speeds of 90mph come quickly if you open it up and click through a couple of gears. Treat the bike right and you're rewarded...and you'll find yourself counting down to the next ride.

That's my review!

Pics of the bike the day after I got the exhaust installed:

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Last edited by deviousR6; February 8, 2008 at 06:17 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Republicans for Voldemort

February 8, 2008, 03:29 PM

noice.....

loved this description: The full exhaust provided a smoother/faster throttle response in addition to probably the sickest of engine notes. The bike growls...sounds like an angry creature that wants to know why you said what you did about its mother!

added to the memory banks...

nice read

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider  
Unread
  (#3)
( * )|( * )

February 8, 2008, 03:31 PM

Thanks!

Chris
Unread
  (#4)
Tough guy

February 8, 2008, 04:39 PM

Awesome write up but......

Congrats on the bike!
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

February 8, 2008, 04:51 PM

Great review, Chris! I saw and heard the beast last weekend!! It is a lovely sight to behold and the sound of the engine is music to the ears!

We need Guzz to take some pictures of it!

Celebrate freedom, honesty and excellence!
Unread
  (#6)
( * )|( * )

February 8, 2008, 06:18 PM

Pics added! I'll update as I get more time on the bike..in the fall I'll get it out to the track too

Chris
Unread
  (#7)
Tough guy

February 8, 2008, 06:24 PM

:: Wow....just, Wow. Congrats. Welcome to the V-Twin fam!
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Unread
  (#8)
( * )|( * )

February 8, 2008, 06:31 PM

Thank you sir...BTW...how's good old 269 treating you? (Ivan's former bike)

Chris
Unread
  (#9)
Tough guy

February 8, 2008, 06:53 PM

Its be great so far.... 3 track dayz for far. Heading to Cornerspeed II in Mar. and I have 8 trackdays with NESBA scheduled and paid for. Maybe in 2009 - 269 races again!?!

Again...NICE BIKE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousR6
Thank you sir...BTW...how's good old 269 treating you? (Ivan's former bike)
Unread
  (#10)
( * )|( * )

February 8, 2008, 10:03 PM

Good to hear!

Chris