DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 536
1 members and 535 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Ducati

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Silence... I keeeel you

June 18, 2005, 03:04 PM

Hey everyone,

I have been a member for a while but this is only my second post. Usually I just search and read. I am picking up my bike in July (a 2000 748 biposto with 1320 miles). I have owned many bikes in the past but this is my first duc. I am looking for input from the experienced duc owners on things to do...or to look out for. The stuff that you wish someone would have told you about ducs that you ended up learning the hard way. I'm looking for stuff like "make sure to check this or tighten that often" Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to riding with everyone on the site (I'm not a brand snob...as long as it has 2 wheels you're cool with me). Thanks in advance.

Kris...aka...Drnknmnky13
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Signed up for Track Days!

June 18, 2005, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnknmnky13
Hey everyone,

I have been a member for a while but this is only my second post. Usually I just search and read. I am picking up my bike in July (a 2000 748 biposto with 1320 miles). I have owned many bikes in the past but this is my first duc. I am looking for input from the experienced duc owners on things to do...or to look out for. The stuff that you wish someone would have told you about ducs that you ended up learning the hard way. I'm looking for stuff like "make sure to check this or tighten that often" Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to riding with everyone on the site (I'm not a brand snob...as long as it has 2 wheels you're cool with me). Thanks in advance.

Kris...aka...Drnknmnky13
welcome to the DCSB.net!
and congrat's on the new ride!!

as for advice; every person on this site has a wealth of knowledge and always willing to help out a fellow rider, just give any one of a shout! as for where to get the bike serviced I personally take her down to MotoEuropa in Richmond (it's a peace of mind to have experienced mechanics that always do an awesome job for you each and every time). Colemans is good for parts. {Enough said about Coleman's!}.
Just keep up with the maintenance on you Ducati - but where all the fun in owning!!!
but know this: 'you will always have a grin....!'

see the sites below:
www.ducati.ms (very good Ducati forum)
http://speedzilla.zeroforum.com (another really good Ducati forum)
www.section8superbike.com (good for parts, and a wealth of DUCATI knowledge) just ask for Jason!

live in Fairfax myself just give me a shout...still have yet to meet everyone on this site!

2003 999 SUPERBIKE
Unread
  (#3)
Silence... I keeeel you

June 20, 2005, 09:06 AM

Thanks for the sites DUCman. I should be ready to ride mid July. I pick the bike up July 2nd nd am having the belts and rockers checked ASAP. I'm considering getting some risers, peg relocaters, and a new seat...trying to make the bike a little more comfortable for non track days...I can always raise he pegs and take the risers out for track days. Any thoughts? I look forward to riding with you...and everyone else.

Then again... That's just me.

On the internet... Everyone is an expert.

And now...The dancing Banana:
Unread
  (#4)
GP Racer

June 20, 2005, 10:13 AM

I have some advice.

Dont lose ( or get stolen at the track ) the concentric hub adjuster from the toolkit or you wont be able to adjust your chain.

On that same line of thought, can I borrow a concentric hub adjuster from one of you two fellow Duc riders ?

Also on that same train of thought, work on downshifting more smoothly or your chain will stretch out quick.
Unread
  (#5)
Silence... I keeeel you

June 23, 2005, 01:17 PM

KneeDragr,

I pick my bike up July 4th weekend. I'd be happy to loan you the hub adjuster anytime after that.

Unread
  (#6)
GP Racer

June 23, 2005, 04:05 PM

Sounds good man, Im still looking for one but If I still havent got one by then fire me a PM and we will meet up. I'll show you some fun roads to put that Duc to good use
Unread
  (#7)
Spike

June 23, 2005, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnknmnky13
Hey everyone,

Kris...aka...Drnknmnky13
My advice, buy a different bike. They break down a LOT and are very expensive to fix. It was very hard for me to sell Ducati's because of that factor. Go to shops that sell them and talk to the Ducati techs...you'll see what I mean.
If not, good luck with it and congrats, I hope you enjoy it!!!

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#8)
Silence... I keeeel you

June 23, 2005, 05:58 PM

Ferrari's break down and are expensive to fix...but I still want one. The duc is a toy...I expect to do maintenance on it. If I needed a bike to ride to work everyday I'd worry more about the reliability factor.

Unread
  (#9)
GP Racer

June 24, 2005, 07:44 AM

I agree, dont buy a Duc if you want to ride back and forth to work with it. Its for riders who want to appreciate an italian sports machine. If you are caught up with the latest greatest technology or want something to pose with dont buy a Duc either.

I cant think of a bike I would rather ride down a twisty road. But it has had mechanical "issues" and Ive only put 1100 miles on mine.

Also, buying a bike based on its resale potential is like deciding ahead of time that you dont want it. Besides Duc's sell like hotcakes on Cycletrader if the price is close to blue book and the service is up to date.

You will love the bike drnknmnky13. The riders I know that have Ducati's love them and the ones that sold their Ducati's regret it.