DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 596
4 members and 592 guests
2blueyam, GsxrBulldog, nootherids, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Ducati

LinkBack Thread Tools
Seeking Ducati 999 input
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

Seeking Ducati 999 input - December 4, 2013, 08:25 PM

So I currently ride a 2006 Triumph Speed Triple, which is a great commuter/long-distance bike (for me, anyway).

That said, I'm getting the "bug" for a different bike (yet again) and couldn't help but notice that the Ducati 999 line is pretty reasonable price-wise these days.

For those of you with experience riding the 999, what are your overall thoughts about the 999 series (e.g., did you enjoy riding it, are there reliability/problem areas and how is the cost of ownership)? I do know that the 2005-06 models have subtle, but worthwhile improvements over the 2003-04 models.

And would I hate commuting and occasionally sport touring on a 999 with the dry clutch and obligatory intense "under the seat" engine/exhaust heat? I commute a fair amount of time from Loudoun, VA to Arlington, VA for work. I know that I could upgrade the clutch slave to lighten the clutch action, but would welcome your overall thoughts since I hear that the 999 supposedly hates stop and go traffic.

Given the Triple's versatility and the fact that it fits my riding style perfectly, this is probably a idea, but not everything about riding is smart/logical...

At any rate, would appreciate folks' input.

P.S.-Yes, I tried to reach out to Chad/DucDucGoose via PM, but someone needs to clear out his inbox.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

December 4, 2013, 09:51 PM

Its stupid and more expensive, but if it outs a smile on your face. Do it

2011 Ducati Diavel Chromo (Current)
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Current)
2006 BMW R1200ST
2003 BMW K1200GT (Current)
2004 Ducati 998s Final Edition (Current)
1997 Aprilia RS250
1998 BMW K1200RS
2000 Ducati 998
1998 Pegaso 650
1999 Ducati 996S
2004 BMW R1150R
2005 Aprilia RSVR Factory
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Buell Ulysses
1991 Suzuki GSX-1100R
1991 Honda Africa Twin 750
2008 Mobster Lefty Trophy pitbike
2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory
1990 Aprilia Pegaso 125
1991 Ducati 888
1995 Honda CR250
1996 Aprilia RS125
1995 Aprilia Sr 50
1984 Kram-it 50
Unread
  (#3)
Blah, Blah, and Blah

December 5, 2013, 08:50 AM

If you like it, go for it.

I love my 999. With the sargent seat, I was able to ride all day long on the street.

I never commuted though. I would probably not like it very much between the tall gearing and clutch. The Testastretta motor is reliable and easier to work on (IMHO) than the other 4V motors.

Overall, it has a little more maintenance than the big 4 bikes (belts and what not), but it is manageable if you like to do work yourself. The valves seem to settle in and if adjusted properly you can typically go longer periods between adjustments.

Mine is now it is setup for track duty and will likely stay that way.

If you can swing it, get a 05+ S model.
Unread
  (#4)
Toe Dragger

December 5, 2013, 10:00 AM

As was said, the biggest improvement you can make comfort wise is the seat.. put a sargent on it.. Heat wise, the 999 series really was not complained about very much.. at least we never really hear the complaints. The engine is essentially set up the same as the current bikes save the Panigale's, parts are plentiful, etc.. Not reserved to the 999, the dry clutch setup will be something you will adapt to, and yes, it's happy place is not in stop and go travel, but it is tolerable. Drop the front sprocket to 14t up front or go up in the rear to shorten the gearing, and it will be a much happier day to day bike..

Chad
Sales Manager Duc Pond Motosports
I Make you Ducati Dreams Come True... LOL! Seriously! I do!

1999 Ducati 996 (sold)
1998 GSXR600 track bike (shamu) sold..
2008 Kwaki Versys sold...
2006 VFR800 Sold..
2001 Road King? Yep....
Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

December 5, 2013, 03:13 PM

Thanks for the input, folks. I keep hearing about the "expense" of owning a Ducati (i.e., Leoallafila). Is owning a 999 really going to be that much more expensive than, say, my Speed Triple? If so, is it solely because of the more expensive parts and the shorter service intervals?

Just out of curiosity, how much do the 6,000 mile services typically run? I am somewhat handy, so I presume that I'll do the belts and such on my own.
Unread
  (#6)
Blah, Blah, and Blah

December 5, 2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctex View Post
Thanks for the input, folks. I keep hearing about the "expense" of owning a Ducati (i.e., Leoallafila). Is owning a 999 really going to be that much more expensive than, say, my Speed Triple? If so, is it solely because of the more expensive parts and the shorter service intervals?

Just out of curiosity, how much do the 6,000 mile services typically run? I am somewhat handy, so I presume that I'll do the belts and such on my own.
The belts are $100 for the exact fit belts (non-OEM, but just as good).

If you aren't going to do the valves yourself, then it can range from $300 to about $1000 depending on where you have it done (and what else you have done at the same time). What I mean is that a 6000 mile service is alot more than just a valve job.

DucPond seems to be the most reasonable and they are easy to work with on the valves. They basically charge you by the hour, so it can vary depending on how many need adjusting.

In the DC metro area, Coleman and Battley are on the upper end of the price scale in my experience.

Besides belts and valves, Ducs are no more expensive to maintain than your Triumph.

If you can do the valves yourself, then it is just the cost of the belts. There are plenty of resources out there for ducati owners for valves (Ducati Tool Rental) to make it cost effective. But if your time is too valuable, then paying Ducpond to do it is the next best thing.
Unread
  (#7)
GP Racer

December 5, 2013, 04:18 PM

Do it. Loved my 749s. +1 on an 05 and up

----------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTorch7 View Post
So in summary you're a little bitch, nobody believes your bitchass about anything, you look like a bitch, you sound like a whiny bitch and you've probably been a bitch for a long time.

All I want to know, how old were you when you realized you were a bitch? or did someone else have to tell you?

The only thing you can Jocky is the keyboard, so why dont you stfu Bitch
Unread
  (#8)
Toe Dragger

December 5, 2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:

P.S.-Yes, I tried to reach out to Chad/DucDucGoose via PM, but someone needs to clear out his inbox.

DOH!!! Thanks for the heads up! Clear now..

Chad

1999 Ducati 996 (sold)
2006 VFR800 Sold..
2001 Road King? Yep....
Unread
  (#9)
Licensed Rider

December 5, 2013, 07:16 PM

I have a 749. Like others said, ownership is cheap if you do your own work. I was able to teach myself so it's not that tough. When it comes time to adjust valves, Colemans will swap shims for free. There's also free software you can download to reset tps and adjust fuel trim. It used to be called Ducatidiag but it's got a new name which I can't remember. Fun bike as long as you're moving!
Unread
  (#10)
GP Racer

December 5, 2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucDucGoose View Post
DOH!!! Thanks for the heads up! Clear now..
Hahaha... No worries. So the obvious follow up is to please give me a heads up if you get a 999 in your shop.

That goes for anyone else on the forum if you hear of one being sold locally.

Thanks again for the input.
Unread
  (#11)
opossum puncher

December 5, 2013, 09:41 PM

Do yourself a favor, if you can find a 999 to test ride, I found the 749 a bit too aggressive to ride for more than 30 min outside of twisties. Phenomenal bike, but Im not a 5-10 mile jont guy. My commute is 52 miles a day, and when I go for a ride, 120 miles is a slow day, based on that, the top echelon Ducs are out for me, that damn hyper I test rode at duckpond still gives me wood from time to time. When I move to Winchester it will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#12)
GP Racer

December 5, 2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rfool View Post
Do yourself a favor, if you can find a 999 to test ride, I found the 749 a bit too aggressive to ride for more than 30 min outside of twisties. Phenomenal bike, but Im not a 5-10 mile jont guy. My commute is 52 miles a day, and when I go for a ride, 120 miles is a slow day, based on that, the top echelon Ducs are out for me, that damn hyper I test rode at duckpond still gives me wood from time to time. When I move to Winchester it will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine.
That is a great point. I previously owned a Yamaha FZR600 and the current gen R6, so I figure that if I survived them over long distances, the 999 should be tolerable. But definitely in an ideal world, I'd find a way to test ride a 999.

Anyone want to volunteer their 999?
Unread
  (#13)
Toe Dragger

December 6, 2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rfool View Post

Why wait? I have a SCREAMING deal on one right now... LOL

Chad

1999 Ducati 996 (sold)
2006 VFR800 Sold..
2001 Road King? Yep....
Unread
  (#14)
Toe Dragger

December 6, 2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Hahaha... No worries. So the obvious follow up is to please give me a heads up if you get a 999 in your shop.

That goes for anyone else on the forum if you hear of one being sold locally.

Thanks again for the input.
Will do!

Chad

1999 Ducati 996 (sold)
2006 VFR800 Sold..
2001 Road King? Yep....
Unread
  (#15)
SIN MC President

December 6, 2013, 01:47 PM

Oh how I miss my James Toseland 999R FILA... I only had it for 2 years.. The only actual issue that I had with it [if it even qualifies as an issue] was that when I got it it was stored a friend's garage. One night of working in the garage the 999R actually began to start up, like someone was hitting the ignition... I can't remember what the official diagnoses of that was, but I'll assume it was James Toseland astral projecting and letting me know that I had to ride the damn thing already....

It was SUPER fast, wheeled out of most turns, burned my ass off in traffic, turned on a dime, telepathically talked to girls for me, and taught me how to ride with the big boys!

#22 TOTNAC
STRENGTH IN NUMBERS MC