DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 547
2 members and 545 guests
GRN96WS6, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Ducati

LinkBack Thread Tools
Thinking of going monster...
Unread
  (#1)
Site ADMIN

Thinking of going monster... - July 24, 2012, 09:50 AM

So, as of late riding the 05 VTX has become well...boring. since i mostly ride it back and forth from work...like cars, i am surprised i made it this long w/out swapping it.

That being said, it looks like the monster has a similar riding position. I am going to test ride of course, just curious on y'alls opinion. It seems a bunch of you ride the monster.

I dig the look, and the price of the 696 is about what i want to pay. hoping ducpond might help out a bit.... I dont see a huge difference between the 696 and 796..

What I like about my VTX is, ride height, ride position, comfy seat, loud aftermarket pipes, torque, easy maintenance. (duc seems to have improved the maint cycle, but i think it still has the bad rap)

what i dont like about my vtx: boring cruiser look, turns like a cruiser, well its a cruiser and getting bored of it... lol

so..give me the good and the bad..what to look for..etc..

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#2)
I'm a llama again!

July 24, 2012, 09:55 AM

Have you thought about a Multi? Commuting to work is nice with a top case. Plus heated grips and plugs for heated gear.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Site ADMIN

July 24, 2012, 09:58 AM

based on price.. NOPE. my VTX OTD in 2005 was 8K, plus 1K in aftermarket upgrades.. looking to stay around the same.

my commuter suit does me good. Im not a CRAZY commuter, if its fraking retarded cold, i dont ride...

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#4)
I'm a llama again!

July 24, 2012, 09:59 AM

Makes sense
Unread
  (#5)
Snow Whore

July 24, 2012, 10:02 AM

Unless you are under 150 lbs or a new rider (which you are not) dont go 696 (just my opinion). I have the 796 and love it for city riding. Hands down the most fun I have had on the street between 30 and 80 MPH; after 100 it gets a little sketchy. The 1100 Evo is the bomb but for just city style riding the TQ might bug you. I wish I had the 1100 for the days when Im out west but to and from work I couldnt ask for more from the middleweight. Everything about the bike is awesome.... except the suspension. Without an S option Im ready to go buy the suspension just to get that added layer I want. Only an issue though when you are pushing the bike hard or out west having fun, thats when you notice the suspension making you work more.

You also have the 848 Streetfighter which is similar to the monster's seat position but the suspension and the motor on the fighter are a lot better.'

Either way I doubt you will be let down, but get out to DucPond and test ride one, thats when you will know what you want.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dblrr900  
Unread
  (#6)
Give me the Ban Button!

July 24, 2012, 10:07 AM

I love my monster and it is by far the best bike for the type of riding I do now. Which seems to align with what you are looking for. I do not think you will regret getting a monster. Just stay away from the small ones. I rode a 620 before my 800 and hated it.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#7)
noise

July 24, 2012, 10:08 AM

Thought about used? You could find a 1100 monster for around your range. small tank tho

"Love is love and family is what is around you and who is in your immediate sphere."
Unread
  (#8)
Site ADMIN

July 24, 2012, 10:09 AM

Can you elaborate on your opinion of the 696 and the weight of the rider?

based on specs only, the 696 is slightly lighter than the 796 with only 7hp less..

thanks.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#9)
Site ADMIN

July 24, 2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubbs View Post
I love my monster and it is by far the best bike for the type of riding I do now. Which seems to align with what you are looking for. I do not think you will regret getting a monster. Just stay away from the small ones. I rode a 620 before my 800 and hated it.
price seems to be dictating which one...

so you dont like the 696 either then?

yeah mostly commuting, but every once in a while i get to go out and ride some fun roads..

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#10)
Site ADMIN

July 24, 2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by static View Post
Thought about used? You could find a 1100 monster for around your range. small tank tho

i would consider it..however.. i dont usually like to buy used. i want to be the only one that has farted on my seat...lol

any good leads on a used one?

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#11)
Toe Dragger

July 24, 2012, 10:18 AM

Alex,
There isnt much difference on paper between the two, but the 796 has more grunt all around.. that is where the difference is. I dont have a 796 demo, but I do have a 696 you can ride. Realistically it is a great bike, but if you have longer legs it will feel cramped for sure.. Power wise though, the 6 is just smooth all over, it doesnt do anything to get you in trouble really. The 7 has that lil bit more that makes it FEEL bigger, even though it is close to the same..

Chad
Sales Manager Duc Pond Motosports
I Make you Ducati Dreams Come True... LOL! Seriously! I do!

1999 Ducati 996 (sold)
1998 GSXR600 track bike (shamu) sold..
2008 Kwaki Versys sold...
2006 VFR800 Sold..
2001 Road King? Yep....
Unread
  (#12)
Site ADMIN

July 24, 2012, 10:20 AM

oh ok.

Im short and tubby. 5'8" ~200lbs...

goose: based on riding position and comfort, how does the monster compare to my current ride?

if you can do a 796 for a 696 price, Im in! lol

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#13)
Site ADMIN

July 24, 2012, 10:21 AM

maybe a .netter can let me ride their 796..

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#14)
Give me the Ban Button!

July 24, 2012, 10:22 AM

I have not ridden the 696 but if I was buying I would buy the 796 ( im a sucker for a single swing arm). I have a 2006 800 S2R and I love it. If you want let me know and ill toss you the keys for a weekend or so.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#15)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

July 24, 2012, 10:22 AM

Doesn't matter: won't get ridden

Wanna ride my V-strom? Great bike. I could swing up your way when I'm back in town. The 650 version is fantastic too, AND has ABS and updated styling

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...