DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 497
1 members and 496 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Ducati

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Signed up for Track Days!

November 19, 2002, 09:54 AM

experienced the infamous flaking rockers? I've potentially got a line on a nice used 996, but wouldn't have a warranty. So, the rocker thing scares me if I go that route. I'm wondering if this rocker issue is really as common as it's made out to be, or if it only seems that way due to the nature of the internet (i.e., you only hear about the bikes with bad rockers, not the bikes that have no problems). Have you heard anything about this issue? Thanks!

I refuse to tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

November 19, 2002, 09:59 AM

<<wondering if this rocker issue is really as common as it's made out to be, or if it only seems that way due to the nature of the internet >>

I heard that this was due to outsourced parts and is a very well known problem ..and Ducati will replace them even out of warrenty.

John
Unread
  (#3)
Knee Draggin!

November 19, 2002, 11:44 AM

DC_FZR,
What year is the 996? I believe that it's only an issue on the '00 and earlier models. This question comes up a lot on the Ducati discussion board. Go to the link below and search for "rockers" in the superbike and/or general sections. There you'll be able to pull up all the info you need. If you're not to sure about buying the 996, you can always save some money on a left-over 2001/02 model. Let me know if you have any other questions?

http://ducati.infopop.net/2/OpenTopic

Chase
Unread
  (#4)
Knee Draggin!

November 19, 2002, 11:48 AM

Here is one of the replies when asked about the common problems with ducs...

"depends on the model- common probs are leaky clutch slave cylinders, fried regulators, shifty fuel pump o-rings, and flaky rockers/cams. The slaves for 2001+ have a recall and should be replaced under warranty, earlier models should get a replacement with an Evoluzione or Yoyodyne unit. Regulators can be replaced with an Electrex unit. Rockers are, well, a touchy issue. 2001's supposedly have a new manufacturer, but no doubt a lot of leftover rockers sitting on shelfs made their way in, as problems ahve turned up in those bikes. 2002 998's with testastretta heads have a redesigned rocker and less aggressive valve angle and are supposedly OK. Problems show up around 6,000 miles so only time will tell. Fuel pump o-rings sometimes split inside tanks and cause delivery problems. These are the probs I've heard owners talk about over and over, but they should be reliable otherwise."

Chase
Unread
  (#5)
Signed up for Track Days!

November 19, 2002, 12:33 PM

hmmm, it's a 1999. I did a search on the Ducati Discussion Forum, and the problem seemed to occur in all of the model years. I don't know what to do now. I've heard that Ducati now replaces bad ones with or without warranty, though I don't know if that's true. I guess it's not a huge deal, I just don't want to get a bike and then have to shell out $1k for a new set of rockers, and that's assuming it doesn't wipe out the cams at the same time. eek.

I refuse to tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death.