DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 532
1 members and 531 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Kawasaki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

August 1, 2005, 10:17 AM

Posted on .com also.

Put 350 break-in miles on my future trackbike this weekend, got a good taste of how good of a streetbike it is.

And the answer is - its an excellent streetbike. Its been 5years since I rode a 600 on the street ( logged a lot of track miles on 2 R6's however ), and I must say the improvements are vast. As I was leaving the garage Sunday morning I thought "I cant believe my Duc is sitting there while I ride a gutless 600 around, sigh...". But I was wrong, the mid-range of the bike is more than adequate to keep fun street pace without winding the bike out. Here is a breakdown of my impressions.

Riding Position : 8/10 - Pegs too low and foreward for my personnal tastes ( I like the hardcore track setup ), but the bars are nice and low, with a nice angle to them. The seat is high which makes the bars feel even lower. Short riders may have a problem standing flat-foot with this bike.

Engine Characteristics : 9/10 - Although I havent railed the thing to redline yet, I slowly increased its range and got a decent enough impression to say that it should make an excellent track bike. The throttle response is super smooth. The mid-range is superb for a 600.

Handling Characteristics : 8/10 - Ran it up/down Saddleback and Mt. Storm a few times ( roads that most of you never heard of or will ever see, but they are at least the equal of 211 ) and once again, it should be an excellent track bike. Steering is slower than an R6, but still quite quick - took some getting used to after riding a Ducati. However picking up the throttle while leaned over produced a couple twitches in the front end - this thing needs a dampner for the track!

Transmission : 8/10 - A bit notchy 1-2, but positive and very slick shifting otherwise. Seemed to get better as I put more miles on it. With synthetic oil it should be sweet. Slipper clutch is awsome. For some reason it doesent produce the pulsing sensation that my 10r did, perhaps because I wasnt working it as hard.

Brakes : 9/10 - Best stock brakes I have experienced with the exception of my Ducati's - those are a 10 in my book.

Fit/Finish : 9/10 - Really nice for a Kawi. Wish I could polish it

Suspension: 8/10 - Seems really nice for a stock 600. Quite plush but at the same time firm. Spring rates seem pretty good for me at 185lbs. Also, it steers on the brakes, something I couldent say about the last Kawi I road ( the 10r ). I think thats because the front end isnt quite as extreme with the compression dampning as the 10s.

I will update this post when I have it at the track the first time.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Happiness Consultant

August 1, 2005, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDragr
And the answer is - its an excellent streetbike.
yup. I concur. this is my streetbike.

Quote:
Engine Characteristics : 9/10 - Although I havent railed the thing to redline yet, I slowly increased its range and got a decent enough impression to say that it should make an excellent track bike. The throttle response is super smooth. The mid-range is superb for a 600.
Ive redlined mine, 1, 2, 3 and 4 - it keeps pulling all the way up to 15.5

Quote:
this thing needs a dampner for the track!
Ive heard this as well, but only time Ive ever needed (on the street) it was when I caught air out in Middleburg

Quote:
Transmission : 8/10 - A bit notchy 1-2, but positive and very slick shifting otherwise. Seemed to get better as I put more miles on it. With synthetic oil it should be sweet. Slipper clutch is awsome. For some reason it doesent produce the pulsing sensation that my 10r did, perhaps because I wasnt working it as hard.
no issues yet and only engaged the slipper clutch once trying to beat a light off the interstate, all I can say was it was cool.

Quote:
Brakes : 9/10 - Best stock brakes I have experienced with the exception of my Ducati's - those are a 10 in my book.
yeah, I'd like to see what happens if I change to Galfer/Goodrich lines and pads. my 03 (trackbike) has galfer lines and ebc pads and I can breath on the brake lever and stop.

Quote:
Suspension: 8/10 - Seems really nice for a stock 600. Quite plush but at the same time firm. Spring rates seem pretty good for me at 185lbs. Also, it steers on the brakes, something I couldent say about the last Kawi I road ( the 10r ). I think thats because the front end isnt quite as extreme with the compression dampning as the 10s.
I can steer on the brakes on my 03 and 05 (buttpucker factor is usally around 9 when I do). Ive done no suspension settings on my 05 and Im good, the godfather and 600killer helped tweak my 03 though.

cant wait to hear about the track performance.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#3)
rdg
best avatar in the biz

August 1, 2005, 03:13 PM

The Kawasaki 6R annoys the poo out of me. Mostly that it's more than 600ccs. Why didn't Kawi just keep a 750 around?
Unread
  (#4)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

August 5, 2005, 08:11 PM

just bought the new 6r, got the new candy plasma blue...i think the color is hardcore and of course the bike is awesome, especially after riding a 250VTR heh, doesnt go real fast with a 240lb frame on it. Glad for the 6r

crazedwombat
Andrew

"It's not the car you ride, it's the size of the arm hanging out of it"

"Body building isnt everything but being small, puny, and weak kinda sucks"

"The urge to run up and suck on the crotches of hot wimmen's pants is significantly decreased off cycle though" - Hatred
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to crazedwombat  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

August 5, 2005, 09:23 PM

wow that was a good story you wrote there now go read my post why buells are #1

Buell (American Motorcycles)
"Had enough rice? Try some apple pie."
Unread
  (#6)
( * )|( * )