DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 595
6 members and 589 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle, legendindisguise, Nobrains, Speed3, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Kawasaki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Posting Nothing Relevant

January 18, 2006, 10:33 AM

so im really pressed on getting the '06 636 right now but i have a few concerns. well not a few, just one.

the digital tach, how accurate is it, and is i always easy to see?

im worried because ive had a bad experience with a digital tach in an S2000 so i dont trust them to much. and then when the suns hits it i dont want it to wash out and not be visible.

any help? thanks

The East Coast Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
This is America I can shit where I want. FREEDOM!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to eck226 Send a message via AIM to eck226  
Unread
  (#2)
One and Only

January 18, 2006, 10:43 AM

As far as accuracy is concerned, good luck. Kawasaki states that they are designed to be (I believe) 4-6mph over at 65-70mph. It increases exponentially from there. They don't know WHY they do it, just that the engineers design it that way. This is on all Kawasaki motorcycles. As far as I know, all manufacturers are pretty much the same.

Good luck, it's a badass machine.....except in the godawful blue.

Right up the 1 hole.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Cloaca  
Unread
  (#3)
Happiness Consultant

January 18, 2006, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eck226
so im really pressed on getting the '06 636 right now but i have a few concerns. well not a few, just one.

the digital tach, how accurate is it, and is i always easy to see?

im worried because ive had a bad experience with a digital tach in an S2000 so i dont trust them to much. and then when the suns hits it i dont want it to wash out and not be visible.

any help? thanks
can't talk about the 06 but i can talk about how the 05 digital tach was basically invisible (in the sun and at night) until I got a smoke double bubble. Since there is very little difference b/w 05 and 06 you may have to do the same if you get the 06. Im not sure about the tach's accuracy, but when I rode the 400+ miler with SVBG in Sept we had found it to be a few mph off.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#4)
Dressed for Success

January 18, 2006, 10:44 AM

I have that tach on the '05. I would say it seems to be pretty accurate, but hard to read. I don't usually use it anyway, always go by sound. I'm not 100% on this, but there might be some aftermarket analog ones out by now if it is a major problem for you.

But you're right, the tach is the biggest complaint most have with the bike.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Happiness Consultant

January 18, 2006, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody
Kawi's new blue

saw it at the IMS .... and blue is my fav color

kawi needs to hire some less aesthetically challenged engineers/designers

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
Unread
  (#6)
rdg
best avatar in the biz

January 18, 2006, 10:49 AM

Tach?

That's what you have ears for man.
Unread
  (#7)
One and Only

January 18, 2006, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoSuave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody
Kawi's new blue

saw it at the IMS .... and blue is my fav color

Remember back in the early to mid 90s, when people would go to Ocean City and buy those pullovers that looked purple, but would turn green and blue, etc in the light? Yeah, it looks like one of those.

Right up the 1 hole.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Cloaca  
Unread
  (#8)
Posting Nothing Relevant

January 18, 2006, 10:50 AM

does anyone have any other complaints about the bike other than the tach? i mean in 05 model since 06 is pretty new.

im 90% sure that this is what im gonna get, but still have some time to wish wash around

The East Coast Kid

Quote:
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to eck226 Send a message via AIM to eck226  
Unread
  (#9)
Dressed for Success

January 18, 2006, 10:54 AM

Quote:
+1 Luckily they couldn't screw up black, but I'm sure they tried.
Unread
  (#10)
Happiness Consultant

January 18, 2006, 10:57 AM

Quote:
does anyone have any other complaints about the bike other than the tach? i mean in 05 model since 06 is pretty new.

im 90% sure that this is what im gonna get, but still have some time to wish wash around
- super tiny ass tail compartment. - get a tank bag

- plastic cover gas tank - get a tank bag that uses clips because magnets dont work.

- if youre going to work on your bike - get used to having to take most of the shit (seat, tail, fairings) off to do anything - Scorpio alarm install took me 2 1/2 hours because I basically had to take everything from the tank to the tail off.

- battery positive terminal is under the tank - so most electrical work requires taking the damn tank off.

dont get the blue 06 if you dont want to get laughed at.

ok i shut up now.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--

Will pay to see this
Unread
  (#11)
Posting Nothing Relevant

January 18, 2006, 11:00 AM

didnt plan on getting the blue, looking at the black one, i cant stand that green.

but come next winter im going to look at getting a second set of plastics and make it a pearl white like my RSX type-S

The East Coast Kid

Quote:
Unread
  (#12)
Dressed for Success

January 18, 2006, 11:00 AM

Quote:

From my understanding they didn't change anything other than the paint jobs on the '06.

On my '05-
The transmission is a bit clunky between 1st and 2nd. But I hear this happens on most Kawi's because of the positive neutral finder. It can miss 2nd sometimes if your shifting is lazy. And it takes a gentle touch to get it into neutral while still rolling (which you usually shouldn't do in traffic for safety reasons anyway). Other than that, no complaints - I love it.
Unread
  (#13)
Happiness Consultant

January 18, 2006, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja636
On my '05-
The transmission is a bit clunky between 1st and 2nd. But I hear this happens on most Kawi's because of the positive neutral finder. It can miss 2nd sometimes if your shifting is lazy. And it takes a gentle touch to get it into neutral while still rolling (which you usually shouldn't do in traffic for safety reasons anyway). Other than that, no complaints - I love it.
tranny problems continue to plague the kawi. I used to get a lot of false neutrals on the track and still do every now and then, but switching to GP shift has alleviated it a little - for me anyway, moreso on the 05 then the 03.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--

Will pay to see this
Unread
  (#14)
Dressed for Success

January 18, 2006, 11:11 AM

Quote:
- super tiny ass tail compartment. - get a tank bag
+1 - The cowl gets you a little bit more room, but really not worth the price.

Quote:
- plastic cover gas tank - get a tank bag that uses clips because magnets dont work.
The back half is metal, if you get the magnetic kind the 2 side and 1 back magnet will work, you will just need a strap for the front. I was lazy and just have a 6'' piece of twine tied to the front tank bolt that I tie to the loop on the front of my tank bag. It works.

Quote:
- if youre going to work on your bike - get used to having to take most of the shit (seat, tail, fairings) off to do anything - Scorpio alarm install took me 2 1/2 hours because I basically had to take everything from the tank to the tail off.

- battery positive terminal is under the tank - so most electrical work requires taking the damn tank off.
This is a downside. But there are ways to prop your tank up so you don't need to remove the fuel lines and completely remove the tank. And the fairings get a bit annoying to remove time after time.

Quote:
dont get the blue 06 if you dont want to get laughed at.
Or the puke green
Unread
  (#15)
Officially Addicted to Posting

January 18, 2006, 12:00 PM

If it's anything like the ZX-10, good luck on changing the plugs. Took an experienced tech most of the day to get to them. He was performing a valve check, and it took the better part of 2 days. Good news was, they were still spot on! Didn't cost the customer much because the flat rate was like 4 hours, but the mechanic wasn't too happy about it! And I thought my VFR was bad!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy