DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 551
4 members and 547 guests
2blueyam, GsxrBulldog, nootherids, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Kawasaki

LinkBack Thread Tools
10R owners - Chain question.
Unread
  (#1)
Super Moderator

10R owners - Chain question. - March 24, 2009, 04:18 PM

WHo here has replaced their chain/sprocket on their 10R? I just pulled my rear tire off and it doesnt look good. EIther its REAL dirty or its about had it. Dosnt move too freely anymore. I read on zx-10r.net that some replace theirs with a 16t. WHo here has one up to a 16t?

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#2)
Derpentine Dealer

March 24, 2009, 07:13 PM

I have over 25K miles on my 04 and have not touched the drive system yet. However, it's starting to show some wear, and I'm thinking I'll have to replace it this summer. I'm planning to go with a 520 conversion and will probably spring for the supersprox liftetime rear sprocket w/ 39t (OEM size), D.I.D. ERV3 520 Chain, and a AFAM or Renthal front sprocket w/ 16t (-1 from OEM size).

In fact, I just got a slightly used 16t 525 front sprocket that I'm putting on tonight to determine whether this is the setup I want with my 520 conversion. This combo yields a drive system ratio of 2.44. I have toyed with the notion of trying a 40t rear sprocket, like maybe an el cheapo vortex that's going to wear out in one or two oil changes to see if I like the ratio before investing in the supersprox. Going larger than 2.5 (which one will achieve with a 16t front + 40t rear combo) is probably gonna make the front end a bit too nervous for my taste.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Derpentine Dealer

March 25, 2009, 03:00 PM

Yo James, the results are in (at least the prelim results). I like the -1 tooth up front mod.

You're absolutely going to need an impact wrench and a hair dryer or heat gun. I rented a 3/4" drive electric impact wrench and still had a helluva time getting the countershaft nut loose. First I tried with everything cold, and it was nothing doing. So then I let the bike warm up, rode it around for a while, then zip tied a hair dryer onto the bike so that it aimed the hot air flow onto the nut. I let this cook for a good 15-20 minutes with periodic rotation of the drive system. Then I got back onto it with the impact wrench. Still didn't look good so I just set that beyotch on there and hammered for a good solid 60 seconds. It finally broke loose.

My 27 mm socket fit the nut a bit loose so I ended up using an SAE 1-1/16" socket that fit more snug, and it worked well.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.

Last edited by OrangeShirtDude; March 25, 2009 at 05:15 PM..
Unread
  (#4)
Super Moderator

April 20, 2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
Yo James, the results are in (at least the prelim results). I like the -1 tooth up front mod.

You're absolutely going to need an impact wrench and a hair dryer or heat gun. I rented a 3/4" drive electric impact wrench and still had a helluva time getting the countershaft nut loose. First I tried with everything cold, and it was nothing doing. So then I let the bike warm up, rode it around for a while, then zip tied a hair dryer onto the bike so that it aimed the hot air flow onto the nut. I let this cook for a good 15-20 minutes with periodic rotation of the drive system. Then I got back onto it with the impact wrench. Still didn't look good so I just set that beyotch on there and hammered for a good solid 60 seconds. It finally broke loose.

My 27 mm socket fit the nut a bit loose so I ended up using an SAE 1-1/16" socket that fit more snug, and it worked well.
No kidding. That tough to get off? THATS GONNA SUCK! I ordered a front sprocket (16t) and was thinking about the supersprox. How is it holding up?

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#5)
GDMFSOB

April 21, 2009, 06:55 PM

Good info! I too have been wondering what ratio to go with. Slider and I got his countershaft nut off by putting the bike on a stand and holding the rear brake (with the chain on still). Then used a 1/2 drive 22" breaker bar. Impacts scare me on bikes.

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#6)
Derpentine Dealer

April 21, 2009, 07:02 PM

I did my bandit drive system replacement up at RRonin's, and we used a shower curtain rod as a cheater and still had a hell of a time getting the nut loose. We didn't use the impact wrench because we didn't have the right size socket. I've done a couple on a couple different bikes since and have always had good luck with the electric impact. I don't let it hammer when tightening. That's really a torque wrench application.

I'm really digging the -1 tooth up front (16 from OEM 17). However, I can see why some guys go a little further by bumping up the rear to 40, 41, or even 42 teeth. For in-town, you can feel where a higher ratio, like 2.8 or 2.9 would be nice. However, I'm out in the country often enough to enjoy sticking with -1 up front, OEM rear size.

Just bought a 520 chain from a zx10r.net member and will probably go with the supersprox. I may not swap all this out until early June as I milk the last few miles out of the 525 system that's on there.

Unread
  (#7)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

April 21, 2009, 10:18 PM

on the street i leave mines stock...and wouldnt do a 520 conversion...525 OEM is already pretty lite and most 1000's use 530 weight chains. Depending on how you ride, a 520 is going to pop 4 sure over time. I dont think its worth the rotating mass and gyroscopic savings you will gain. I run 6th gear to the red line for miles and i know that thing would pop and slice my leg off...

I have a supersprok OEM 41 on my 08 street...17 up front....

On my race bikes

My 2008
is -1 (16) up front and +1 (42) in the rear....I might go up one more this summer.
(stock is 17/41)
In this gearing I dont hit 6th gear until im past the oak tree at VIR North and probably could run it to the number 3 marker b4 I run out of gearing...but I dont have the balls for that...paracute is deployed at the number 6 marker, lol

My 2006
is -1 (16) up front and +2 (42) in the rear.
(stock is 17/40)
With this gearing I hit 6th gear right at the kink/oak tree at VIR North and run out of gear about the number 6/5 break marker. At summit i can probably go to the number 2 marker if i had the balls...lol

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin