DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 555
2 members and 553 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Kawasaki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
MSF Student

February 2, 2004, 10:06 PM

I've got a gsxr 750 (1100 motor) that I'm selling and would like everyone's feedback.

What have you beat? How comfy, mods, all of that. I don't want something too razor sharp like a new R1 or 1k. The 9R seems like the best everyday bike, hands down.

I'm saying this, even though I've beaten 2 on a hwy roll on (Doom, remember last summer, on the way to 211 ... we went out stuntin and you dropped your bike on the right and rode back w/your foot on the pipe?!?! :o (just fuckin w/ya)) to 160mph indicated. And I didn't beat them THAT BAD or anything. I had 14/48 gearing, jetting/pipe/k&n pods/+5 ign advancer.

Any thoughts, pros/cons....

Anyone gone from a sportier feeling gixxer to a kawi 9 at all? My goal is a bike that runs 10s all day, semi-comfy, linear cable clutch engagement, will throttle wheelie in 2nd, smooth and still be able to lean w/out being twitchy. I don't mind hang off a bit to make a porky bike move a bit.

My 1100 was a bit much off the line (torquey) and not smooth. Weight of both bikes are close I presume. Mine was pretty low so it felt. I'm flyweight at 130lbs in a rainstorm.

Ali
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Super Moderator

February 21, 2004, 12:33 AM

I can ride my ZX-9R all day long. I am 5'10 165pds. I rode my friends GSXR750 and it KILLED my back. The 9R has TONS of power but a little bulkier. The two bikes serve 2 different purposes to me. Gsxr1000 - balls to the wall power. ZX9R- Power when you want it and enjoy it the whole time.

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

February 23, 2004, 08:32 AM

i'm so happy with my ZX9. i went from a v-star classic 650 to a sv650 to the ZX9. the power is amazing. and, it's so comfortable. i've riden all day and haven't had any kind of discomfort. i definitely couldn't do the same on the sv.
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

February 24, 2004, 09:27 AM

The longest ride i've ever been on was four hours through mountains and hills and wide valleys. My butt hurt on my ZX6 as much as it would sitting on anything.

The biggest problem I had was a pinched nerve behind my right knee, but it went away after riding for about 10 minutes with my leg stretched out.

I was tired after that ride, even though I stopped 3 or 4 times..views, gas, food...

I believe of the 4 major sportbikes, Kawas the most comfortable ride, by way of rumor not experience.

EDIT: BTW, the only real difference in a ZX6 and a ZX9 are the weight, the tank, and the engine.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ThrustinJZX6  
Unread
  (#5)
Super Moderator

February 24, 2004, 05:57 PM

Kawis are the most comfortable....Experience talking

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#6)
Has an idiot exemption

February 24, 2004, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaneSplittah
My goal is a bike that runs 10s all day, semi-comfy, linear cable clutch engagement, will throttle wheelie in 2nd, smooth and still be able to lean w/out being twitchy. I don't mind hang off a bit to make a porky bike move a bit.
Well...that pretty well describes the 9.
Don't go by doom's bike as an example of how 9's run.
I've ridden his and it's the worst running bike I've ever ridden. Not trying to bust on doom..not his fault. Well, maybe a little.
I've ridden mine on some decent road trips with no problems. Even handles 2-up well.

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#7)
MSF Student

March 7, 2004, 08:30 AM

What is the common consensus on going a full system vs slip on? I'm really loving the muzzy sound on a 9R. Who's local who's got a pipe on theirs that wouldn't mind doing a couple of "fly bys" for me so I could get a real idea of the sound of em?

I've heard on the 00+ that the headers are good enough, you just need a slip on and jet kit. What's the difference between stock and aftermarket headers? I'll take more streetable midrange any day (as any literbike should, IMO). If I was looking at a 600, top end would be all I was concerned about . I want it to be everyday smooth so I think a jet kit and slip on are best for back for the buck and to get rid of Kawi 9's rep as stuttery snatchy sumbling tune in the later years, right?

I figure being as light as I am, plus crazy gearing + jetting/pipe + a +4 ign advancer should put me right at where most literbikes are at (barring the newest newest ones )

The goal is to drag her, wheelie her, street her, tour her, everything. And is there a better paint scheme then the black/mica one in 00 ?

Thanks all

Ali
Unread
  (#8)
Has an idiot exemption

March 7, 2004, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaneSplittah
I want it to be everyday smooth so I think a jet kit and slip on are best for back for the buck and to get rid of Kawi 9's rep as stuttery snatchy sumbling tune in the later years, right?
I'd recommend getting a Factory Pro jet kit.
Really transformed my bike.
I have a full Yosh system and a BMC filter BTW...

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

March 7, 2004, 07:04 PM

I put helis on my hayabusa and would argue it's as comfy as the 9R. Not quite as much leg room but very roomy.

It's not razor sharp like the R1, or 1k (or even the 9R haha) but can be ridden agressively. I haven't ridden with any hyperbikes that have lost me yet

You want to know how it is in a roll on? I'll say "adequate" haha
Unread
  (#10)
Has an idiot exemption

March 7, 2004, 09:25 PM

Twiggy has a good point. My only beef with the busa comfort is the stretch to reach the bars. Heli's would fix that for sure.
Lane-splitter...since you didn't mention cornering prowess high on your list you might want to consider the Busa like Twiggy said. Sure won't have to worry about power...

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

March 7, 2004, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZX9
Twiggy has a good point. My only beef with the busa comfort is the stretch to reach the bars. Heli's would fix that for sure.
Lane-splitter...since you didn't mention cornering prowess high on your list you might want to consider the Busa like Twiggy said. Sure won't have to worry about power...

Well, that and it's uglier than f*ck.
Unread
  (#12)
MSF Student

March 8, 2004, 08:16 AM

I'm a pretty small guy but the BUSA felt perfect for my frame...my insurance would laugh at me if I even mentioned it...no tickets/convictions in 18 months but before that....we're talking 9 page driving record...I'll be 26 in a couple of weeks and I have taken the MSF class but it's still tuff as far as insurance goes

Busa is the ugliest bike of all time, barring the Honda CBX w/fairings of course I toyed w/the 12R but I think the 9R w/simple boltons and MAYBE a 30 shot spray by Nov will be enough

Cornering does matter but to be honest, I'm sure the 9R will feel just fine. I have an F2 that will probably be used for track purposes ... I just need the literbike for "EVERYTHING ELSE"

Ali
Unread
  (#13)
MSF Student

March 25, 2004, 09:57 AM

Ali,

I have had my 99 zx9 for about 3yrs. In that time put about 11000 miles on it. I also have a zx7. I have ridden just about every bike out there at some point or another and the zx9 is the best all-around sportbike in my opinion. Sure there are bike out there faster and even that handle better but to do all as well as the zx9 does, it just cant be beat. I live in sterling and ride down to 211, ride a few hours and then ride back with no ill affects. For the record sometimes thats about 8 hours total. I have riddin my bike 200 miles at averaging about 100mph and was just as comfortable as 5 miles at 60. I really hate to sell my bike but need to because I am buying a house this year. I have it listed in the classifieds on this board if your interested. Oh and by the way I dont need the clutch in second to wheelie, maybe in third. I do have to give it a little bounce at about 50 in second but Stevezx9 can just role on in 2nd with no clutch and wheelie off into the sunset. He is just a better rider. If I remember correctly I think he did that on my bike to.

Bluezx9
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Bluezx9  
Unread
  (#14)
GP Racer

March 25, 2004, 10:51 AM

steve my bike runs better than your bike fool so stop talking about me i know you want to be like me you tool
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to drdoom Send a message via AIM to drdoom  
Unread
  (#15)
Has an idiot exemption

March 25, 2004, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluezx9
Oh and by the way I dont need the clutch in second to wheelie, maybe in third. I do have to give it a little bounce at about 50 in second but Stevezx9 can just role on in 2nd with no clutch and wheelie off into the sunset. He is just a better rider. If I remember correctly I think he did that on my bike to.

Bluezx9
Me a better rider?
Damn Dan...you rail those stand-ups!
I just have the jet kit and full system on mine. That's why it comes up easier in second.

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
www.cornerspeed.net