DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 541
3 members and 538 guests
davidcycle, nootherids, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Kawasaki

LinkBack Thread Tools
About quick tire changes on a 636
Unread
  (#1)
Super Moderator

About quick tire changes on a 636 - March 12, 2007, 07:29 PM

Does kawasaki have different bolts for the front fork (Part #92153) so the front tire can be changed easier? The head requires a hex socket and it seems thatthe head strips easy. Since my bike does double duty, I change the tires often. Maybe kawasaki racing has a different bolt for it that takes a socket instead of a hex? Also, different caliper bolts with a socket head qould be nice. I dont remember who told me but someone said that they dont sell the right size at Home Dept.

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#2)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
March 12, 2007, 07:46 PM

Scorp look up a company called Fastenall they will have or can get what you need.

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Super Moderator

March 12, 2007, 08:14 PM

Ok...What about all you racer dudes...Any ideas?

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#4)
I hate Hybrid drivers

March 12, 2007, 08:16 PM

the bolts in there now are 6mm allen heads. mine were super duper tight but you can get a high quality allen socket that shouldn't strip out the heads. If you do het hex head bolts don't get anything below grade 5 of course.

You can measure the bolts and order them from the BOLTDEPOT
Unread
  (#5)
Super Moderator

March 12, 2007, 08:27 PM

I meant to say allen head. OOPS. I guess I do need to get a top quality allen socket. I have been using just my usualy craftsman. I was told, even if I do get a good allen socket, after time they will still strip. I change my tires OFTEN because I LOVE doing trackdays and regular riding...

-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
Unread
  (#6)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

March 12, 2007, 08:50 PM

ALso try McMaster Carr for bolts. I buy all my bolts in 316ss from them and they are fast and not pricey.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#7)
Ballaugh Bridge

March 12, 2007, 09:05 PM

Suzuki Part #01500-10603 (used to be 01107-10605)

It's a 10x60mm hex head used on the '82 GS1100.

Honda Part #95801-10060-00 is a 10x60mm hex also. A frame bolt on '90-'97 VFR750.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Last edited by CrazyMotorcycleGuy; March 12, 2007 at 09:07 PM..
Unread
  (#8)
Super Moderator

March 12, 2007, 09:56 PM

The front fork bolt I am looking for is 8x40....

I hate alleb head

-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
Unread
  (#9)
Officially Addicted to Posting

March 12, 2007, 10:56 PM

I'd stick with stock and figure out why it's stripping. I've changed many a 636 front tire and never had an issue. You are either over-torquing, are not keeping the tool fully inserted when loosening, or have a bad tool. A properly used allen should not strip.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#10)
opossum puncher

March 13, 2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rddy
I'd stick with stock and figure out why it's stripping. I've changed many a 636 front tire and never had an issue. You are either over-torquing, are not keeping the tool fully inserted when loosening, or have a bad tool. A properly used allen should not strip.

Fru, I do the same double duity and change tires often myself. Torque Wrench. Hands down the best investment, I learned this the hard way when I snapped a pressure plate bolt head off.

Get good Hex sockets too, I got the husky ones from Home Depot, and the one I use to swap my rotors back and forth broke out of the socket. Stipid pos.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#11)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

March 13, 2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Why stick with stock bolts? They suck cause of the mass production. You can find better bolts at a lot less price. I buy 316 stainless steel bolts by the 20 for what you can get a steel bolt from a dealer and that just 1 bolt! They look better don't rust and have better threads on them for holding power.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#12)
Officially Addicted to Posting

March 13, 2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131
Why stick with stock bolts? They suck cause of the mass production. You can find better bolts at a lot less price. I buy 316 stainless steel bolts by the 20 for what you can get a steel bolt from a dealer and that just 1 bolt! They look better don't rust and have better threads on them for holding power.
Because I don't know enough about the properties of metals to know whether a different metal compound would stretch the same and have the same friction properties such that the recommended torque settings would be appropriate. Combine that with the fact that I assume that the bolts are designed as hex heads for a reason (perhaps they are less likely to have a corner ground down in a slide which would make them harder to remove). It's just my opinion. It doesn't mean you have to agree.

Last edited by rddy; March 13, 2007 at 09:59 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#13)
Super Moderator

March 13, 2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I think it is the craftsman tool that I have. Might go get a snap on set. A couple of people have told me that no matterhow good the tool is, if you do a lot of tire changes, it will strip. An allen key just doesnt seem to be the best type of bolt head to use for something under a decent amount of torque

-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
Unread
  (#14)
Super Moderator

March 13, 2007, 05:31 PM

I called Kawasaki about replacement bolts and I asked them why they use allen head screws. The answer - they are lighter. Wow. Hmm..

SV - I ordered the screws from the Honda dealer along with the smaller one. We will see how it works!

-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588