DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 623
2 members and 621 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Kawasaki

LinkBack Thread Tools
I got my first bike!
Unread
  (#1)
weeeeee

I got my first bike! - March 15, 2007, 11:05 PM

Hey everyone, I just got a 2001 kawi 250. It has 4768 miles on it, I got it for 1200. ..the problem is it doesnt start. It cranks but i cant get it to start, the guy said it was running just 3 months ago before it got really cold. does anyone have any tips on what to try? Thanks so much for everyones help!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rohit  
Unread
  (#2)
ATTN INVESTORS!

March 15, 2007, 11:17 PM

I think those are carb'd, right? Does it have a prime? Did you try the choke and all that?

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rekoniz  
Unread
  (#3)
Got my Permit

March 15, 2007, 11:43 PM

excellent choice for a first bike bro. people will tell you it's cheap shit or you'll get bored with it, but really they're just full of shit.

for your specific 250 needs you should hop over to www.ninja250.com . they will be able to hook you up. check out the FAQ before you post.

anyway, if the bike ran three months ago but now it only cranks (assuming you're trying to start it correctly), it's likely that it was improperly winterized (prepared for extended storage). some of the problems you may have are low battery charge and bad gas in tank and float bowls. the carbs may even need to be pulled and cleaned as a result of unstaiblized gas siiting for that extended period. if you are in touch with the previous owner, ask him what if anything he did to prep the bike for storage. if none of this makes any sense, go to the site i linked and read the faq and dig up a few threads.

good luck and enjoy the bike. hopefully the seller has been honest and this is just a fuel issue.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Spike

March 16, 2007, 07:03 AM

Great bike, I want to get my daughter one but not until she takes the MSF course.

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#5)
Nothing here

March 16, 2007, 07:06 AM

Yeah, I'd check for fouled plugs, choke must be on and change the gas. Excellent choice!

Oh another thing. Since it's your first bike and carbed at that, it could be just simple starting procedure. Not trying to be condecending (sp) at all here, but do you know how to start a bike with a choke? Choke at 100%, starter button and gently roll the throttle just a weee bit. Some people trying to start carbed bikes think they will just start with the button right away. It's car knowledge misapplied to bikes. Just a thought.

Last edited by Madali; March 16, 2007 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: Cuz I forgot sumfin...
Unread
  (#6)
1 of DA PAK FOUNDERS!!

March 16, 2007, 07:26 AM

congrats

R1 , 2001
Gixxer 2005
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Chico Send a message via AIM to Chico  
Unread
  (#7)
Officially Addicted to Posting

March 16, 2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madali
Yeah, I'd check for fouled plugs, choke must be on and change the gas. Excellent choice!

Oh another thing. Since it's your first bike and carbed at that, it could be just simple starting procedure. Not trying to be condecending (sp) at all here, but do you know how to start a bike with a choke? Choke at 100%, starter button and gently roll the throttle just a weee bit. Some people trying to start carbed bikes think they will just start with the button right away. It's car knowledge misapplied to bikes. Just a thought.
Some of you motorcycle gurus can correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that most modern carbs don't have true chokes, they have enrichener systems and rolling on the throttle, even a wee bit, will reduce the effectiveness of an enrichener system.

Congrats on the new bike Rohit! I rode a few 250s over the past few years and found them quite fun! Enjoy!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#8)
ATTN INVESTORS!

March 16, 2007, 08:09 AM

Quote:

This is what I was getting at. First bike...carb'd...its common. I was there at once. If its really only been 3 months and it did really run fine then...then its probably something fairly simple. Gas is not the same as it used to be I doubt its going bad and ruining your carbs in just a few months.

Unread
  (#9)
( * )|( * )

March 16, 2007, 08:26 AM

Congrats! If you run into a wall PM boomboom929 and he may be able to help you or even get you set up with the proper maintenance.

You'll have fun on that bike!

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#10)
whoa preppy......

March 16, 2007, 08:43 AM

choke...NO throttle when starting. Roll = flood

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
DAS BOOT

March 16, 2007, 09:00 AM

congrats on the first bike!!! Have fun and be safe!!

Wow. Just..................wow.
Unread
  (#12)
Nothing here

March 16, 2007, 09:09 AM

Interesting on the NO throttle part with the choke. My carbed R1 will not start unless I slightly slightly roll the throttle. Same way with my Suzuki I had a long time ago. Although the Suzuki was owned in a very high altitude. Anyway, the problem will have a very simple solution....I'm sure of that part.
Unread
  (#13)
No! You!

March 16, 2007, 09:24 AM

Ninja 250!!!

Miami Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexxx
I slapped him in the forehead for being vulgar (I'm a lady, dammit).
Unread
  (#14)
ATTN INVESTORS!

March 16, 2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Interesting on the NO throttle part with the choke. My carbed R1 will not start unless I slightly slightly roll the throttle. Same way with my Suzuki I had a long time ago. Although the Suzuki was owned in a very high altitude. Anyway, the problem will have a very simple solution....I'm sure of that part.

My Triumph is like that also. I helped a co-worker get a '05 250R last year and I *think* it was the same. She has to travel a lot so the bike will sit for a while at times. It can be difficult to start but it does eventually start even after sitting outside for months.

Unread
  (#15)
whoa preppy......

March 16, 2007, 12:14 PM

some bikes do need a little throttle to start. The ninja 250 does not. Atleast the ones I have ridden and/or owned start on choke only.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to