DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 558
5 members and 553 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6, Nobrains, Sal_the_man, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Kawasaki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Super Moderator

August 30, 2004, 10:47 AM

Well, let’s see how it started off. I now have 20,000 miles on my bike. I’m still on the original chain and sprockets. I can’t even remember when I replaced the brake pads. I have noticed that the brakes are getting a little weaker. BoomBoom929 bled the brake lines for me a couple of months ago but they are already getting spongy again. He also said it is about time to replace them anyway. I guess after a couple of track days on semi old pads, they are due to be replaced. The chain doesn’t look so bad and neither do the sprockets. But after this many miles, its about time. But, what to buy? 520 conversion? Up a couple of teeth in the back and down one in the front? What kind of brakes? Should I get stainless steel lines? Decisions, decisions, decisions. Also, my turn signals actually burned out so they have to be replaced too! The wires were corroded so I had to replace the whole thing.

So, on-line I go to Kneedraggers.com. The stock size of my rear sprocket is 41. I decided that I wanted a little more get up and go off the line so I went up 2 in the back and kept the front stock size. But I did get a new front sprocket. Also, I picked up a DID chain. I asked about the conversion and they told me not to! Keep the stock size chain. They also said if your not stunting a lot, keep the stock sprocket on the back because a smaller sprocket actually puts more wear and tear on the transmission. What about brakes. Galfer makes a kit that comes with the stainless steel lines and the pads. Everything you need comes with it. Kneedraggers also told me not to get the HH pads for the street because they will eat up my rotors in no time flat. Fine – A credit card number later and the parts are on their way. LP LED rear turn signals, Galfer pads, lines and a set of front and rear vortex sprockets

Well, I used to work on cars when I was younger but I haven’t done much work on motorcycles. Also, I think the bike is running a little rough. So, I enlist the help of the one and mighty Shooom – the mechanic guru who was very kind enough to help me out and Sportbikerchic was kind enough to offer her garage. The turn signals were easy enough to replace. My worry – can anyone see them during the day! We will see. Then, off to Sprotbikerchic’s house we go. This is where all the fun started. Pads and lines were easy and were replaced in no time. Getting that damn front sprocket bolt without an impact gun was a bitch and a half! We are working in Mary’s garage and we had the door open. So, a TON of mosquitos are coming through and we are getting chewed up. I get a couple of those mosquito repellant candles and light them up! At the time it was a brilliant idea. I had worn my nylon jacket since it was hot outside. As Shooom and I battled with the motorcycle on the front sprocket, the jacket had gotten in the way. I grabbed the jacket and tossed it to the side. “What’s that smell?”, comes out of Shoooms mouth. Next thing I know, he is leaping over and grabbing my jacket from the fire. A WEE too close to the fire. It’s too late. The jacket is DONE! Nice big hold at the coller. Oh well…Cest a vi! The rest of the nigh is uneventful. About 3 hours later, everything is complete. It is time for a test drive.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE everything made. I immediately could tell the difference the sprocket made. It just seemed that the bike wanted to fly right out of the driveway. The brakes were 100% better than what they were. The bike now stops on a dime. Not too much play in the lever and it feels good and solid. I did a couple of laps around the neighborhood. It’s not like my bike didn’t have any torque at the beginning. Now, that bike just wants to take off! My top end has been brought down a little but I don’t go flying around here at 140 anyway. But time will tell how all this comes together.

The bike to me is still running a little rough so I decide to check the air intake. I look into the intake scoops. On my Kawasaki, there are two small tube-like intakes that are inside my air intakes. I don’t know what they are called but they go right to my airbox. There is a TON of crap that appeared to be clogging these tubes. So, I pull them out and clean them up. Nothing but dead bugs and there were a lot of them. Well, if this is filthy, I wonder how my air filter is! UGH! Is it nasty! Left over cicada’s and a ton of other dead BUGS! Also, another thing. I put on the Sportec windscreen. It looks awesome but the only problem is that if you want to put a camera on your tank to get some great footage, you will get nothing cause you cant see out of it!!

What is one lesson for today? Check your air filter!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0421_resize.jpg (100.3 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0420_resize.jpg (115.2 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0419_resize.jpg (88.0 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0418_resize.jpg (106.8 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0417_resize.jpg (96.6 KB, 394 views)

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

August 30, 2004, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion9R
...What is one lesson for today? Check your air filter!!!
ew - i should do the same. i can only imagine all of the yummy crunchy dead things that are in my bike.

the windscreen looks really good james! nice job!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Mr. Glass

August 30, 2004, 01:02 PM

i saw the finished product at B&N this past thurs.. and must say loookiin good james, the bike that is

06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Unread
  (#4)
Officially Addicted to Posting

August 30, 2004, 01:33 PM

Nice! Fun working on your bike, isn't it! Even if it's only minor stuff! I recently changed my air filter on my VFR and found that a mouse must have really liked the foam in my airbox, because it stole some to make a nest. Switched to a K&N and noticed a huge difference - probably mostly due to the fact that the old one was very dirty.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#5)
Licensed Rider

August 30, 2004, 01:39 PM

Bout time you put that shyt on!....you did all that in three hours....that's pretty good..when I get my new sprokets and chain...I'm calling you for help!

What did you have to take off to get to those air intake nozzles? You made it sound real simple, but if I remember right you have to take off the whole front cowling and shyt to get to it..or am I trippin'?
Sorry to here about the jacket though.

Sex is like a game of spades; if you don't have a good partner you better have a good hand!

I luv phat a$$es...big ti!!ies are just a bonus!

No matter how lowered your CIVIC is, you won't win a race against me...that's just the way it is!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to kdybread  
Unread
  (#6)
Super Moderator

August 30, 2004, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdybread
Bout time you put that shyt on!....you did all that in three hours....that's pretty good..when I get my new sprokets and chain...I'm calling you for help!

What did you have to take off to get to those air intake nozzles? You made it sound real simple, but if I remember right you have to take off the whole front cowling and shyt to get to it..or am I trippin'?
Sorry to here about the jacket though.
Actually I didnt have to remove the front. The plastic inlets in the cowl are held in by 2 phillips screws. I just went through the back and took them out. Its all hooked up to rubber line so you and twist the hose out..No time at all..

B.T.W. - Heysers in the only one in the area that has our air filter in stock!! $30.00 and they are the cheapest!!

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#7)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

September 26, 2004, 02:16 AM

Quote:
The bike to me is still running a little rough so I decide to check the air intake. I look into the intake scoops. On my Kawasaki, there are two small tube-like intakes that are inside my air intakes. I don’t know what they are called but they go right to my airbox. There is a TON of crap that appeared to be clogging these tubes. So, I pull them out and clean them up. Nothing but dead bugs and there were a lot of them. Well, if this is filthy, I wonder how my air filter is! UGH! Is it nasty! Left over cicada’s and a ton of other dead BUGS! Also, another thing. I put on the Sportec windscreen. It looks awesome but the only problem is that if you want to put a camera on your tank to get some great footage, you will get nothing cause you cant see out of it!!
Here's an article I found in sportrider.com
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9508_ram/

Quote:
So, on-line I go to Kneedraggers.com. The stock size of my rear sprocket is 41. I decided that I wanted a little more get up and go off the line so I went up 2 in the back and kept the front stock size. But I did get a new front sprocket. Also, I picked up a DID chain. I asked about the conversion and they told me not to! Keep the stock size chain. They also said if your not stunting a lot, keep the stock sprocket on the back because a smaller sprocket actually puts more wear and tear on the transmission.
I just hit 14K on my nine and I think its time to change the chain, but I'm considering of getting the 520 conversion. I heard some negatives and positives about this. The bike is gonna be street and will not see the track. Actually, it will be a cruiser (to some its called "poser") . Seriously, it will be since I just bought a 600 for the track.

So you think doing 520 is practical?
Unread
  (#8)
1 of DA PAK FOUNDERS!!

September 26, 2004, 10:03 AM

nice mang!

R1 , 2001
Gixxer 2005
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Chico Send a message via AIM to Chico  
Unread
  (#9)
Super Moderator

October 2, 2004, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upNover
Quote:
Here's an article I found in sportrider.com
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9508_ram/

Quote:
So, on-line I go to Kneedraggers.com. The stock size of my rear sprocket is 41. I decided that I wanted a little more get up and go off the line so I went up 2 in the back and kept the front stock size. But I did get a new front sprocket. Also, I picked up a DID chain. I asked about the conversion and they told me not to! Keep the stock size chain. They also said if your not stunting a lot, keep the stock sprocket on the back because a smaller sprocket actually puts more wear and tear on the transmission.
I just hit 14K on my nine and I think its time to change the chain, but I'm considering of getting the 520 conversion. I heard some negatives and positives about this. The bike is gonna be street and will not see the track. Actually, it will be a cruiser (to some its called "poser") . Seriously, it will be since I just bought a 600 for the track.

So you think doing 520 is practical?
If it is just for street, dont go 520 conversion. People do the conversion to save weight when every little bit counts! I talked to a lot of people and they say the same thing for our bike. Not strong enough and it will wear out a lot faster..

Have you had your carbs resynched?

-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
Unread
  (#10)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

October 12, 2004, 10:48 PM

Nah, I was going to since I have all the tools. Now I'm thinking of going to CAD and do a dyno run on her and maybe have them do the synch while there. I don't have anytime right now to do the work cuz of my job and school.