DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 616
4 members and 612 guests
2blueyam, GsxrBulldog, Speed3, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Kawasaki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Ninja 250R '87
Unread
  (#1)
Chupathingy?

Ninja 250R '87 - May 21, 2007, 07:00 AM

So I have a 1987 Ninja 250R. Don't laugh, cause mine is in great shape. bout to hit the 23k in miles mark, and still runs strong. When I bought it as a second bike, I saw some things needed some fixing. One was the really rusted pipe and yoshi exhaust. The tail Yosh isn't that bad, but the two-in-one header is rusted to hell. Took that off, got a dual can, stock exhaust. Also has a K&N filter, and I think the Carbs may have been tweaked. Not jetted, but facked around with. Last owner was a girl, with a boyfriend who has a passion for duct tape and bubble gum. So my main concern is this. The bike idles at almost 4k, and bucks at certain speed/rpm. It is def a throttle prob I belive, but I thought I would ask the Kawa community. I asked on kawasakifourms.com (im evergreene529 there) and haven't had much help. I want to keep this bike running properly, as its still a great runner.

PM me if your in H'Town, MD.
"Can't we go faster?.... Even if we rub cheetah blood on the engines?" -Phillip J. Fry

Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to Sith4Brains Send a message via Yahoo to Sith4Brains Send a message via AIM to Sith4Brains Send a message via Skype™ to Sith4Brains 
Unread
  (#2)
opossum puncher

May 21, 2007, 09:05 AM

the bike should be idling at around 1400 to 1700 rpm. That is an easy fix as the idle screw should be on the left side around the seat. Cant remember where it was on my friend's girl's 250.

Jetting could be off on the bike. A K&N and a yosh exhaust would suggest that it was jetted. But unless you pull the carbs its hard to tell. Clean the inside lip of the exhaust, take it for a ride and clean it again, see how much soot the bike is putting out, lots of black, too rich, gray/white, too lean.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#3)
Chupathingy?

May 22, 2007, 07:44 AM

Thanks, going to try that out. Really hate playing with carbs, but need to se whats going on. I know in the morning, when its a lil brisk out, shes smokes but white/gray. nothing too bad.

"Can't we go faster?.... Even if we rub cheetah blood on the engines?" -Phillip J. Fry

Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to Sith4Brains Send a message via Yahoo to Sith4Brains Send a message via AIM to Sith4Brains Send a message via Skype™ to Sith4Brains 
Unread
  (#4)
( * )|( * )

May 22, 2007, 08:20 AM

If you need it worked on PM boomboom929. He worked on miamigirl's 250 and her bike runs as if it was brand new...very smooth.

He also put the jet kit on my DRZ and it runs 10000 times better than it did when I first bought the bike.

Just FYI in case you need someone who will not charge you an arm and a leg and will do great work.

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
weeeeee

May 22, 2007, 07:42 PM

I had the same problem. I also have a 250, the vacum hose on mine was slightly kinked, might be worth looking at.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rohit  
Unread
  (#6)
Bikeless... for now

May 23, 2007, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousR6
If you need it worked on PM boomboom929. He worked on miamigirl's 250 and her bike runs as if it was brand new...very smooth.

He also put the jet kit on my DRZ and it runs 10000 times better than it did when I first bought the bike.

Just FYI in case you need someone who will not charge you an arm and a leg and will do great work.
+125478936542.... you know what I mean

My bike run's on snake oil.... thanks to BG.

'06 ZX-6R in blue
'93 Ninja EX500 (sold)
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Chupathingy?

May 27, 2007, 12:25 PM

So i checked all the vacuum hoses, and found one that was going nowhere... oh! its suppoesed to be on the idle spped adjusting screw... there is no freaking screw!
This bike was duct taped together when I bought it, so now I found another problem.
So heres the hose... what should I do?

UPDATE: just where the thumb screw on the left side is gone. the actual idle screw is still there. So, warmed her up with a lil ride up and down the boulvard, and let her sit running while I looked at all the hoses again. If I plug that hose, she idles higher, which we don't want, mkay. blew into the hose and she started to settle down a bit. so I left that alone for now. adjusting the speed screw and I really got nothing but more of a headache. shes down to 3k rpm, but 80% of the time won't stay andthen dies out.
BTW, the front/top of the airbox has a small hole in it, unning through a rubber gromet into the frame. that hose I found is long enough. Tell me im stupid and it doesn't go there.

Last edited by Sith4Brains; May 27, 2007 at 02:25 PM..
Unread
  (#8)
weeeeee

May 27, 2007, 06:23 PM

Sith, the hose you were blowing in to, was it clear? There are several hoses that do not go anywhere (venting hoses) one is clear and that is from the carbs, the others are black and arefrom various things, such as the gas tank. you should pull the clear hose (connects to the back of the carbs) and let it hang, meaning just pull it out so you can see the whole hose while it is still connected to the carbs, and try starting it again. That hose can get kinked a little and it will cause jumping idle as you described, I hope this is clear if not I will take pics 2morrow to show you.
Unread
  (#9)
Chupathingy?

May 27, 2007, 07:30 PM

yea, it was clear, well, for its age it looked somewhat clear. All the other hoses were conected, if in the right spot i believe so from pics I have in a manual and online. Going to work on it in the morning befoire I take out on a ride.
pics of the hoses and where they go would be helpful most likely. They are all connected, but who's to tell that they are correct.

Unread
  (#10)
weeeeee

May 29, 2007, 01:10 PM

Hey sith, this are the photos I took at lunch time. Sorry they didn't come out that good, I will try to take better ones later. Hope these help

Unread
  (#11)
Chupathingy?

May 29, 2007, 01:20 PM

that should work a bit. Thanks Roh, and btw, your clutch case looks a lil scuffed. Ouch! that where you went down?

Unread
  (#12)
Chupathingy?

May 30, 2007, 09:22 AM

Well, no probs now... bike blew up on I70 this morning. Time for me to sell this peice of crap. New bike time!