DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 541
1 members and 540 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Kawasaki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

March 17, 2003, 11:09 AM

When's the next bike maintenance get together????????
I need to do my first service, wanna show me how?????

"I've learned that whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed."
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Has an idiot exemption

March 17, 2003, 11:15 AM

Sure!
Get with Adrian and Katie...they are gonna come out, too.
I guess it's about time for another one since it seems like spring is finally here.
Maybe next weekend whichever day we're not going to the bike show at dulles?

Steve

2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2008 Honda CRF 450R
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

March 17, 2003, 11:16 AM

When you say "first service" do you mean the 600 mile one? If so, that probably includes a valve adjustment that Steve wouldn't be able to do for you (I don't think so anyway). If its oil changes and misc mainenance, then steve is the man

Brad
-- I've got one word for you... brain damage.
http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/ibf/ht...icons/tard.gif
Kat 600
Chevy Chase, MD
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to BAMMER  
Unread
  (#4)

March 17, 2003, 11:20 AM

Yes, I mean the 600 mile one.

Unread
  (#5)
Site ADMIN

March 17, 2003, 11:24 AM

i have been told that the dealership should do the first service on the bike to insure that your warrenty will be valid with the manufacturer. Coulda been BS, but its what i was told. Anyone else hear this?

[Edited on 3/17/2003 by spud]

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#6)
Railing!

March 17, 2003, 11:46 AM

That is BS about having the dealer do it! Your manual will tell you what mtnce needs to be done.
Unread
  (#7)
MSF Student

March 17, 2003, 04:22 PM

It should not void the warrenty but if the dealer sees that it wasnt done by a certified kawi/suzuk/whatever tech and you need somthing that should be covered under warrenty they wolnt cover it. You will have to fight your ass off to get anything done. IMO just do the required services at the shop and then be done w/ it! Too much of a hassle not too!
Unread
  (#8)
Railing!

March 17, 2003, 04:46 PM

I disagree, Zaki. I never had a problem servicing my own bike and making warranty claims. So long as you can demonstrate some degree of mechanical competence, i.e. dont put 10 qts of oil in. Also, in order to avoid any potential issues I keep an accurate log of all service that Ive preformed and save receipts for everything. Its worth an hour of my time to do the service myself in order to save at least 100 dollars.

What ya doing?
Chewing chocolate.
Whered ya get it?
Doggie dropped it.
Unread
  (#9)
Has an idiot exemption

March 17, 2003, 08:26 PM

Quote:
When you say "first service" do you mean the 600 mile one? If so, that probably includes a valve adjustment that Steve wouldn't be able to do for you (I don't think so anyway). If its oil changes and misc mainenance, then steve is the man
I can adjust your valves, Kim. If you don't have a manual let me know and I'll find out the clearences.
But I doubt you need the valves adjusted at the first service. We can do them if you want, though. You are talking about the EX aren't you?
You will have no problems with your warranty. It covers manufacturer defects. If you do the maint or they do doesn't matter as long as you keep receipts and put in the log that you did the required services.
Whatever you decide to do I'll give you a hand if you want. There is a great dealer out here in Winchester (Valley Cycle) that you can talk to about warranty or have them do the work.

Steve

2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2008 Honda CRF 450R
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#10)

March 18, 2003, 11:01 AM

Steve, how do I know if my valves need adjusting or not??? I will get a manual. And I am talking about the EX500. I will also buy the oil and filter. Is there anything else I need? When are you up for getting together? I asked Katie and Adrian but they weren't sure so maybe if you throw a date and time out there, that will get their butts in gear

Unread
  (#11)
MSF Student

March 18, 2003, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I disagree, Zaki. I never had a problem servicing my own bike and making warranty claims. So long as you can demonstrate some degree of mechanical competence, i.e. dont put 10 qts of oil in. Also, in order to avoid any potential issues I keep an accurate log of all service that Ive preformed and save receipts for everything. Its worth an hour of my time to do the service myself in order to save at least 100 dollars.
To each his own.....
http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/cgi-bi...c;f=1;t=004051
This guy put a pipe on his Busa...had serious damage that was not related to his pipe.......but the dealership is still giving him problems.....JMO If there were any problems to occur i would rather have it get taken care of w/ out any question of my mechanical Competence.
If I had a new Bike w/ a warranty I would follow the warranty requirements even though I am fully capable to the service myself. To save a couple of buck in the short run could cost you big bucks in the long run JMO.
Unread
  (#12)
Has an idiot exemption

March 18, 2003, 05:26 PM

Kim,
Look in the service section of your owners manual. It will have dots or something like that in the column that needs to be done.

Steve

2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2008 Honda CRF 450R
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#13)
MSF Student

March 18, 2003, 11:44 PM

Hey Steve How was your trip to Daytona? I had a good time.
Just a quick question. I have been doing some research on clutches. I have heard that it is better to stay w/ OEM and not to aftermarket clutches. I have even heard to use zx6r springs because they grab harder? Whats your take on this? How hard is the swap. I looked at my manual, it doesnt look that bad. Im gettin ready for a new clutch!!!!
Unread
  (#14)
Has an idiot exemption

March 19, 2003, 12:38 PM

Hey Zaki...trip was great!
The stock plates are very good but I've also used barnett plates with great results even though some say they are grabbier. If you want more spring pressure I would just alternate a stock spring with a heavy-duty spring using the stock plates. Remember our bikes use a cable clutch so stiffer springs will make it a little harder to pull the clutch in. If it hasn't been slipping I wouldn't change them unless I planned to do a bunch of drag-racing.
Changing the clutch is pretty easy. If you want a hand set up a time and come on out...

[Edited on 19/3/2003 by SteveZX9]

Steve

2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2008 Honda CRF 450R
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#15)
MSF Student

March 19, 2003, 03:51 PM

Thanks for the invite Steve. I might have to take you up on that. I pretty sure it is starting to go.....in third when I whomp on the throttle the rpms will rise but then catch(slipping)! I will be drag racing....Have a Beefed up Mustang to shut up(buddy's stang pushing 750hp)!! That will be interesting to say the least. So should I stay w/ stock or go Barnett?