DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 601
4 members and 597 guests
CCS762ZX6, GRN96WS6, Sal_the_man, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Kawasaki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Where do you guys attach rachet straps on your bike?
Unread
  (#1)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

Where do you guys attach rachet straps on your bike? - April 28, 2006, 08:35 PM

I noticed on my upper fairing there are hair line fractures from the previous owner attaching rachet straps to the handle bars and then to the box of a truck.

Is there any where else you guys prefer? Id like to avoid any more damage if it ever has go to into a truck or avoid strapping it to something that looks strong enough and find out it isnt

Ive got a 91 zx6d, but Id imagine it has similar supports as the newer ones.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
singin sweet home alabama

April 28, 2006, 08:39 PM

Canyon dancer for the front (strappy thing that goes from handle to handle and provides anchor points for the tie downs).... for the rear I just use the passenger peg brackets.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#3)
Cooked White Rabbit

April 28, 2006, 08:41 PM

Depending on your trailer the best method I have found is to get a sport chock. Put the front in the Sport Chock and just tie the back. Rap the strap around the tire. Make a loop around the back of the tire and pull the bike forward into the Sport Chock. Have the bike in gear. Without a sport chock I try not to compress the suspension.

SV650r,rc51,fz1,1098
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to TylerDare  
Unread
  (#4)
Cooked White Rabbit

April 28, 2006, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8
Canyon dancer for the front (strappy thing that goes from handle to handle and provides anchor points for the tie downs).... for the rear I just use the passenger peg brackets.
Man hate to tell you this but a Canyon Dancer will foobar your throttle bad.

SV650r,rc51,fz1,1098
Unread
  (#5)
What's today? aah fuck it

April 28, 2006, 08:43 PM

Quote:
BEST CHOICE IMO!!!!!!! They rock!! They will never cause any damage to ur plastics, and the worst thing u can get from it is a bit of a sticky throttle, but only if u keep it strapped really tight for a long period of time.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)

April 28, 2006, 08:44 PM

Wouldn't you *want* to compress the suspension?? Otherwise you hit a nice bump the suspension compresses, the strap gets slack and is likely to come off.

There's nothing wrong with compression... just don't over do it. The thing doesn't need to be slammed, but you need to take the 'bounce' out of it.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
Unread
  (#7)

April 28, 2006, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDare
Man hate to tell you this but a Canyon Dancer will foobar your throttle bad.
Been using 'em for years without a problem... on 3 different bikes. :shrug:

Unread
  (#8)
Cooked White Rabbit

April 28, 2006, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't you *want* to compress the suspension?? Otherwise you hit a nice bump the suspension compresses, the strap gets slack and is likely to come off.

There's nothing wrong with compression... just don't over do it. The thing doesn't need to be slammed, but you need to take the 'bounce' out of it.
Actually it works the other way around. It also will foobar your setting so everytime you get to the track you find yourself trying to get your setup right again.

SV650r,rc51,fz1,1098
Unread
  (#9)
Cooked White Rabbit

April 28, 2006, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Been using 'em for years without a problem... on 3 different bikes. :shrug:
I used one for awhile and people told me not to but I just figured it was like all other internet advice you have to take or leave. In the end it did foobar the thottle. Then I kept having problems with my setup changing. A old racer there asked how I was tying the bike down. He said if your compressing the supsension your changing the rate on your spring just a little every time and it takes some time for it to go back to normal. I thought it was strange with your riding on them all the time but it sure seemed to work. He was saying the thing about riding is the shock is going in both directions not just down.

SV650r,rc51,fz1,1098
Unread
  (#10)

April 28, 2006, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDare
Actually it works the other way around. It also will foobar your setting so everytime you get to the track you find yourself trying to get your setup right again.
Maybe this is where we differ? I don't think dude was asking about how to transport his bike for the track.

Another thought... wouldn't you want to adjust your suspension for *that* particular track that day?

Dunno... maybe I missed something in the original post, but I thought this guy was just talking about the off chance he has to haul it in the back of a truck somewhere... not all prepped for a track day and what not.

Unread
  (#11)

April 28, 2006, 09:26 PM

TylerDare, not saying you're wrong or anything, but me and Canyon Dancer go way back.

This guy's also talking about a 91... I doubt he's looking for the primo mode of transportation. Canyon dancer isn't going to screw your shit up, unless what you're talking about is really nitpicky track stuff. Any negative affect from being compressed would go away pretty quickly (not that I've ever noticed a negative affect).

Phail, sweet & simple... Canyon Dancer is what you're probably looking for. When you tie down you just want to make sure the bike's suspension movement, should the truck hit a nice pothole or something, isn't enough to create slack in the strap and let it fall off.

To each his own... but I don't buy the anti-Canyon Dancer sentiment (first time I've heard any complaint about 'em actually). I hauled 2 bikes cross country, and left them on the trailer a week total... no problems. Rode the day I took 'em off. Didn't notice a thing, but I wasn't going to the track... ::shrug::

2004 R1 & 2002 R6

Last edited by DvlsAdvc8; April 28, 2006 at 09:28 PM..
Unread
  (#12)
Cooked White Rabbit

April 28, 2006, 09:57 PM

No problem man. We all do things in our own way

Quote:
TylerDare, not saying you're wrong or anything, but me and Canyon Dancer go way back.

This guy's also talking about a 91... I doubt he's looking for the primo mode of transportation. Canyon dancer isn't going to screw your shit up, unless what you're talking about is really nitpicky track stuff. Any negative affect from being compressed would go away pretty quickly (not that I've ever noticed a negative affect).

Phail, sweet & simple... Canyon Dancer is what you're probably looking for. When you tie down you just want to make sure the bike's suspension movement, should the truck hit a nice pothole or something, isn't enough to create slack in the strap and let it fall off.

To each his own... but I don't buy the anti-Canyon Dancer sentiment (first time I've heard any complaint about 'em actually). I hauled 2 bikes cross country, and left them on the trailer a week total... no problems. Rode the day I took 'em off. Didn't notice a thing, but I wasn't going to the track... ::shrug::

2004 R1 & 2002 R6

SV650r,rc51,fz1,1098
Unread
  (#13)
Railing!

April 29, 2006, 07:21 AM

The absolute best way is to tied them to the rear sets if you have a chock
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to MorpheusTC  
Unread
  (#14)
Cooked White Rabbit

April 29, 2006, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorpheusTC
The absolute best way is to tied them to the rear sets if you have a chock
Good idea. I have been looping it through the rear wheel.

SV650r,rc51,fz1,1098