DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 584
2 members and 582 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, Nobrains
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Suzuki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

June 30, 2003, 10:09 AM

does anyone have any ideas on why my 750 won't start, it seems like it happens when it gets hot , a little over 200 degrees. The bike will just crank and crank , and will backfire really loud , but will not start. I took it to the dealer , when i got there it wouldn't start back up , they witnessed this , and they gave it back to me saying " it started just fine for us", looks like i will have to take it back to them again , unfortunately . . .any help would be greatly appreciated . . .

Tim Peterson 12.21.69-12.18.02

I Will Never Forget You
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Knee Draggin!

June 30, 2003, 08:16 PM

Sorry I can't really help you with your problem. But maybe it would help if we analyzed the problem more. The 02 750's are FI right? The bike is obviously getting fuel judging from the backfiring, so it would seem that it could a problem with the ignition? :dunno: Does the bike start back up after it has cooled? How long?

Out of curiosity, which dealer did you take it to?

Kal

'05 GSX-R 750
'01 SV650S
Full D&D, Dynojet Stage I kit:
Shimmed needles, 150 mains, 17.5 pilots, 2.5 turns
De-snorkelled & de-fendered
Unread
  (#3)
Licensed Rider

July 1, 2003, 01:32 PM

took it to colemans , since they have already checked it once , this time i actually had some luck , Mike the head tech there came outside and i showed him exactly what it was doing and when . he pulled the codes to see what , if any codes came up , turns out it was the throttle position cable, he said it was set at a very lean setting, thus causing the bike to not to want to start all the time. I left it there , they said there is a sort of a recall for this prob. , so we shall see the outcome

I Will Never Forget You
Unread
  (#4)
I am a nice guy :)

July 3, 2003, 04:39 PM

So whats the good word? I for one want to know.. having a 02 750 and all.

-Leon
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to leon  
Unread
  (#5)
Fuzz Runna

July 27, 2003, 01:45 AM

I second that inquiry regarding any recall.....Leon, does yours do that ever? mine hasn't...but is a little funny about starting when it's hot...is a little hesitant sometimes....

Sometimes in order to live, you must first be willing to die....
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to ND4SPD Send a message via AIM to ND4SPD  
Unread
  (#6)
Licensed Rider

July 27, 2003, 10:32 AM

they did fix it , i guess. starts better but it will still hesitate a little when it starts , and has backfired since i got it back upon starting. I guess I can deal with that , cuz it does start, which is nice. he said it was the throttle position switch/sensor, when I brought it in they there was a bulliten(sp?) out on this problem , but when they wanted me to pay to pick it up the bulliten had mysteriously never been there. go figure. They wanted me to pay for the fix because they had never done the service on my bike , ever heard of that ? well anyways the service manager took care of it for me and warrantied it, so that was a good ending to the story , lets hope it continues to start, because sitting out in 90 degree weather , and your bike won't start sucks ass !

I Will Never Forget You
Unread
  (#7)
I am a nice guy :)

July 28, 2003, 11:29 PM

Brandon,

Mine doesnt do that to my knowledge. I'm running a PC3 so its probably not running as lean as stock.

-Leon
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to leon  
Unread
  (#8)
Licensed Rider

July 30, 2003, 01:41 PM

i have the pc3r , but that has no effect on it starting or not. it still has trouble starting when it is hot , but not as bad as before . . .

I Will Never Forget You
Unread
  (#9)
Fuzz Runna

August 4, 2003, 07:14 AM

hmm...well, I wonder if I would have problems with getting mine repaired if it does start to happen since I skipped having the shop do my 4000 mile service (did myself)...it is coming up on 8k now, so should be time for the next service....may check into it....

how many miles did yours have when it started doing this?

Sometimes in order to live, you must first be willing to die....
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to ND4SPD Send a message via AIM to ND4SPD  
Unread
  (#10)
Licensed Rider

August 5, 2003, 03:24 PM

it started it with maybe 2000-2500 miles i think , VERY annoying problem !

I Will Never Forget You
Unread
  (#11)
I'm a Realtor in VA

August 13, 2003, 03:03 PM

Curious... I would love to see what they wrote on you repair ticket. Do you still have it? Are you opening the throttle when you start the bike, if so donít because the FI is designed to start with out any throttle input. It will take a few minutes for the bike to warm up and for the FI to adjust the mixture correctly for running instead of full rich for starting. Perhaps you should let the bike idle for a minute or so before riding and then after a few minutes of riding it should respond very quickly to throttle input. When the motor is cold there may be a hesitation if you go wide the puck open in a nanosecond after starting the bike even if you rode it a few minutes ago.

Your backfire sounds like an air leak in the exhaust system. Does it do it on closed throttle on coast down, or just when you start the bike? Are all the header gaskets correctly installed? You said you have a PCIIIr, do you have a pipe and an air filter? K&N air filters are not known to work well with the Suzuki FI.

Please list the mods you have made to the fueling system, exhaust system and air filter.

I'm a Realtor Licensed In DC and VA
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to highsider Send a message via AIM to highsider  
Unread
  (#12)
I'm a Realtor in VA

August 13, 2003, 03:06 PM

Also according to the KISS principle.

Do you have the clutch pulled in and the bike in neutral with the kick stand up?

I'm a Realtor Licensed In DC and VA
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to highsider Send a message via AIM to highsider  
Unread
  (#13)
boxing twins

August 13, 2003, 03:42 PM

Take it to Champion Motorsports. They are a Suzuki dealer, and the only Dynojet certified shop in the area:
http://www.powercommander.com/centers_va.shtml

I just had my 'Busa there, and Nick (the Dyno jet guru) is very experienced and knowledgable.

p.s. Did you change anything on the bike when the problem arose? Air filter, plugs, exhaust, PC3r installation, etc. You'll need that info for Nick to troubleshoot.

-- Chris
BMW R1100s
(previous rides: '82 KTM250, '95 CBR600F3, '98 Buell S3T, 2000 Hayabusa, 2008 R1200R)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hayabusafiend  
Unread
  (#14)
Licensed Rider

August 14, 2003, 03:28 PM

I don't give it gas when starting , yes it is in nuetral, kickstand up .problem only occurs when the bike has reached about 200 degrees , cold start is fine , no exhaust leaks. the only mods i have is/are : pc3r & hindle ss full exhaust. the throttle position sensor , or whatever it is called seemed to help when they adjusted it , but not a total problem solver. Nick at Champion has dyno'd it before , he is a top notch guy , if this problem persists , i may have to make a run over there

I Will Never Forget You