DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 510
1 members and 509 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Suzuki

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-07 gsxr 600/750 mirror issue
Unread
  (#1)
MSF Student

06-07 gsxr 600/750 mirror issue - July 2, 2008, 12:12 AM

Ok here's the problem...

I switch my bike between street and track often. The first time the mirrors were put back on, someone tightened them too much, and when I went to take them off again... the bolt unscrewed out of the mirror (and subsequently stayed latched to the nut).

I tried everything possible to get the nut and bolt separated but it was impossible. I ended up taking the entire upper fairing stay off and sending it away with someone to their job (car mechanic) so he could figure out how to get them to separate. He did.... and I used locktight on the end of the bolt that goes into the mirror.

But the next time I put the mirrors on, it screwed crooked, and I went to take it off, and BAM.... same problem.

Anyone else having this issue?? If so, what did you do to fix it?

I don't have the same contact to be able to help me out this time... so next time I want to swap over to track plastics, I'm going to have to drill a whole through the upper fairing and have a bolt sticking out of it. Unless someone has some insight on how to help.

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught."
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Give me the Ban Button!

July 2, 2008, 12:21 AM

You first need to get the nut off the bolt. Than you can mix up some JB weld and put it on the screw part that goes into the mirror than screw it in. Let it set up and dont tighten it as much the next time you put it together. You can also try to fill the hole with model pr supper glue than screw it back in. model or super glue will cause cause the plastic to melt a bit and will help to re-form the threads.

Good luck

U could also just leave the mirrors off and put on bar end mirrors for the street

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#3)
MSF Student

July 2, 2008, 12:27 AM

Thanks for the info!

Any idea how to get the nut/bolt separated without ruining the threading on the bolt? (It seems to be really weak metal)

Unread
  (#4)
Give me the Ban Button!

July 2, 2008, 12:30 AM

there should be a flange of some type below the but. you can try to mount it in a vise or use vise grips to hold it while taking off the nut

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#5)
MSF Student

July 2, 2008, 12:32 AM

Yeah I tried the vice grips but it just spun and started to destroy the threading pattern. I'll try mounting it in a vise next time.

Thanks again

Unread
  (#6)
old fat and slow

July 2, 2008, 12:36 AM

not sure on the new ones but is the bolt made into the mirror? if not go ahead and order a new nut and bolt for your next use and then just cut the messed up one off. or can you grab the bolt with needle nose vise grips to hold it while you turn the nut with a wrench? if the bolt comes out of the mirror can you remove the mirror and fairings? again sorry i'm not real familliar with the newer gsxr's stock bodywork.

MissS:no now!!!

bambam nope you said i have a few hours

MissS: I changed my mind

bambam: see MissS: well, you have a few hours

MissS: I'm a female, allowed to do it
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to bambam  
Unread
  (#7)
old fat and slow

July 2, 2008, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue.
Yeah I tried the vice grips but it just spun and started to destroy the threading pattern. I'll try mounting it in a vise next time.

Thanks again
sorry to say but at this point it's time for a new nut and bolt. you can try re threading it but it will most likely just strip since the threads are already dammaged.

MissS:no now!!!

bambam nope you said i have a few hours

MissS: I changed my mind

bambam: see MissS: well, you have a few hours

MissS: I'm a female, allowed to do it
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to bambam  
Unread
  (#8)
MSF Student

July 2, 2008, 01:02 AM

bambam, the bolt is made into the mirror. I could cut it off and get a new one... and I might just have to. I tried using vise grips and a wrench, but it just spun in the vise grips-- no matter how hard it was on there. The guy who got it off before rethreaded it for me and it was working fine for a while, until I *oops* put it on crooked.

Unread
  (#9)
Alone in my World

July 2, 2008, 06:21 AM

I had the same problem. Find a bolt to fit the mirror instead of using the stud and nut that it came stock with.
Unread
  (#10)
strip joint sugardaddy

Exclamation July 2, 2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
bambam, the bolt is made into the mirror. I could cut it off and get a new one... and I might just have to.
I had the same problem on an '06. The stud is not sold separately by the dealer though as the mirror and the studs are one assembly. So you can either do your best with a hardware store bolt and some JB Weld or something similar to make it work, or you can buy a new mirror which if I recall correctly was around $100 retail. Suzuki must use some kind of monster thread locker on that thing, it's total overkill.

PS the mirror will stay on there just fine with only one bolt holding it, at least that was my experience. Just don't over-torque it, use some Loc-Tite and snug it up real easy.

Founder, President and CFO
Bananarama Fan Club
Shenandoah Valley Chapter
Unread
  (#11)
( * )|( * )

July 2, 2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
bambam, the bolt is made into the mirror. I could cut it off and get a new one... and I might just have to. I tried using vise grips and a wrench, but it just spun in the vise grips-- no matter how hard it was on there. The guy who got it off before rethreaded it for me and it was working fine for a while, until I *oops* put it on crooked.
You could try using a small basin wrench. It's a plumber tool but very useful for things like this. I had 3 bolts strip on a turbo manifold on my Supra and it was the only tool that worked. They have smaller ones so that should do the trick.

The tool basically grabs the bolt as you turn tighter and tighter so it will not slip like a vice grip or adjustable wrench.

Here's a picture:

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/3F2897B..._Wrench_3C.jpg

Good luck!

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#12)
MSF Student

July 2, 2008, 10:24 AM

sweet, thanks guys