DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 602
2 members and 600 guests
beatle, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Suzuki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Got my Permit

August 10, 2003, 07:02 PM

Right on the brink of buying my first bike. Found a 2001 gsxr600 w/ low miles, but a friend advised that those are notorious for coming up with problems and issues. Any comments on this?

-Charles

'01 GSX-R 600
With TONS of character
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to cecald  
Unread
  (#2)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

August 10, 2003, 08:53 PM

No they are not notorious for problems. There are a few cases of the the Cam Chain Tensioner failing, but this has been a problem that has followed the GSX-R line for quite some time. It's an easy fix.

The 2000 750 had a problem with it's 2nd gear, but they had corrected this issue by the next model year.

2000 GSX-R750Y
Wise men ask questions...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Got my Permit

August 10, 2003, 09:29 PM

thanks for the advice!

'01 GSX-R 600
With TONS of character
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to cecald  
Unread
  (#4)
Serial Killer

August 10, 2003, 09:40 PM

One of the biggest known problems with the Gixxer 600 is that it IS a Suduki. The 2001 gixxer 600 has been known to have a faulty flux capacitor, as well as a misaligned trunk valves and gigaswitches. You'd be better off buying a Honda

I'm a lead farmer, motherfucker!!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Diggy Send a message via AIM to Diggy  
Unread
  (#5)
boxing twins

August 10, 2003, 10:06 PM

If you don't have any riding experience do not buy a 600cc sportbike. It will only make your learning experience longer and more difficult. Buying a bike far too large/powerful for your skills will only hold you back.

Start with a Kawasaki EX500, Suzuki GS500, expect to outgrow it in 6 or so months, and probably sell it for what you bought it.

Start with a Suzuki SV650 and keep it for years, constantly improving your skills.

Buy a bike you can learn on. Is your first bike to pick up chicks or learn with?

Most bike salespeople, some of your friends, and some forum members will tell you to start on the latest 600cc sportbike of the moment such as the 600RR, or ZX-6RR. As a newbie, you will likely drop your first bike at least once, normally during parking lot practice. On the full fairing bikes, that's a $1,000 mistake.

Learn on a smaller bike and be a better rider.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

-- Chris
BMW R1100s
(previous rides: '82 KTM250, '95 CBR600F3, '98 Buell S3T, 2000 Hayabusa, 2008 R1200R)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hayabusafiend  
Unread
  (#6)

August 10, 2003, 10:13 PM

The 750's and 600's both had cam chain tension issues, and had a recall issued on them in 99 or 2000 I think. Only thing I ever heard negative about the bikes.
Other than the 01's FI light coming on now and again on my 1000 that was the only issue I had.

Here is a good site for buying a used bike, especially a sportbike.
http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

good luck and welcome to the sport.
Unread
  (#7)
Serial Killer

August 10, 2003, 10:16 PM

I bought a 600cc supersport as my first bike, and I didnt drop mine when I was learning. I'm sick of hearing people say what a newbie should or shouldn't start on; its their decision, let them make it and stop tryin' to be somebody elses parent.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Diggy Send a message via AIM to Diggy  
Unread
  (#8)
Loves Sporking

August 10, 2003, 11:21 PM

Quote:
...The 2001 gixxer 600 has been known to have a faulty flux capacitor, as well as a misaligned trunk valves and gigaswitches. You'd be better off buying a Honda
Only a Honda guy would list a bunch of Star Wars toaster parts! I've been racing a 2001 GSX-R600 for two years. Bought it new off the showroom floor in 2000. Over two years old, and it's still 11 lbs lighter than a new 600RR or F4i. I've had a fuel injection issue with it for many months, but only at lean angles you won't see for a LONG time as a newbie. Besides, it's not a common problem. Still, I don't think it's a good choice for a first bike. Even if you're hellbent on getting a 600, buy one that's less race-focused. The F4i comes to mind! Docile, friendly little machine, compared to the peaky, throttle-sensitive, quick-steering GSXR and R6. But whatever you get, be careful, and have fun.

[Edited on 11/8/2003 by JPVaccaro]

Johnny V.
CCS & ASRA #67

2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2004 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
2004 Aprilia 1000 Mille R (street)
2001 Aprilia 1000 Falco (street)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
1995 Kawasaki ZX-6E (street and racing)
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
(street)
Unread
  (#9)
boxing twins

August 11, 2003, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I bought a 600cc supersport as my first bike, and I didnt drop mine when I was learning. I'm sick of hearing people say what a newbie should or shouldn't start on; its their decision, let them make it and stop tryin' to be somebody elses parent.
As has been said in the past about you Diggy, you're a rare case. Every new rider I've met dropped their bike at least once when learning. Having lived in California, the motorcycling mecca, I've seen alot of bikes and met alot of riders.

I fully believe, and the more experienced riders on this forum agree, start on a smaller bike and you'll become a better rider.

-- Chris
BMW R1100s
(previous rides: '82 KTM250, '95 CBR600F3, '98 Buell S3T, 2000 Hayabusa, 2008 R1200R)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
Unread
  (#10)
Serial Killer

August 11, 2003, 08:46 AM

Quote:
As has been said in the past about you Diggy, you're a rare case. Every new rider I've met dropped their bike at least once when learning. Having lived in California, the motorcycling mecca, I've seen alot of bikes and met alot of riders.

I fully believe, and the more experienced riders on this forum agree, start on a smaller bike and you'll become a better rider.
I understand what you're saying, but who are we to assume one's learning curve? A friend of mine started out on a ZX9, and I guarantee he'll beat half the riders on this board around the track. I think that if a person truly respects the bike, and takes their time to honestly learn THAT bike, that they will do just fine.

Unread
  (#11)
boxing twins

August 11, 2003, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I understand what you're saying, but who are we to assume one's learning curve? A friend of mine started out on a ZX9, and I guarantee he'll beat half the riders on this board around the track. I think that if a person truly respects the bike, and takes their time to honestly learn THAT bike, that they will do just fine.
I agree completely.

However, there are too many people that don't respect the bike, nor take the time to learn. I'd rather a new rider start on a smaller bike and learn to ride that bike quickly. The slower acceleration literally gives them more time to learn and react.

-- Chris
BMW R1100s

Unread
  (#12)
Serial Killer

August 11, 2003, 11:59 AM

Okay, Busa, I understand what you are saying and where you are coming from; history and statistics give you a good foundation for your opinions. BUT, here is where I have to disagree with you. You say that the slower accelleration will give the rider more time to learn and to react. But what if the noob is already AT speed? IE cruising down the highway at 65+ mph, and suddenly something happens. Without the right training on ANY bike, they wont know how to react and may wreck or what have you. This can happen on a new 600cc supersport, as well as on a 250 or 500cc bike.

Unread
  (#13)
Loves Sporking

August 11, 2003, 12:01 PM

Diggy rejects opinions that seem officious.
Chris doesn't want new riders buying big bikes.

Diggy and Chris, You two probably agree on how to learn to ride. You disagree on how influential experienced riders can or cannot be, and on what kind of bike is best to learn on. Chris? You probably agree that everyone get's what they want to get, and although we may disagree with their choices, we don't have a right to insist when it comes to starting new riders on smaller bikes. Diggy? You probably agree that it's easier for most people to learn more quickly on a smaller, more nimble machine.

BOTH of you make valid points, and the newbie will weigh them in his or her own mind. Now that I've found some things you both agree on, will you please shake hands? No more squabbling. Can't we all just get along? Group hug.
Who's yo Daddy?

Johnny V.
CCS & ASRA #67

2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
(street)
Unread
  (#14)
Has an idiot exemption

August 11, 2003, 12:23 PM

JP's my daddy and my hero!!!!

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#15)
Loves Sporking

August 11, 2003, 01:14 PM

Steve knows... we are creatures of love.

Johnny V.
CCS & ASRA #67

2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
(street)