DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 634
4 members and 630 guests
beatle, dubplaya, GRN96WS6, HotRod1200
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Suzuki

LinkBack Thread Tools
'99 SV Track Bike Build
Unread
  (#1)
Air-Cooled Goodness

'99 SV Track Bike Build - July 14, 2011, 09:00 AM

With a whopping two whole track days under my belt, I decided I wanted to get an entry level track bike and stop risking my street bike.

One of the most important things Iíve learned from doing a lot of auto-x is that itís always better to buy someone elseís completed race/track project than it is to build your own. Not only is it cheaper in the long run, but you end up spending much more time on the track instead of in the garage. The second thing I wanted was something with a wee bit more horsepower than the Buell Firebolt I had used for my two previous track days. Not that I felt I was ready for more power, but because it was much harder to pass slower riders.

Taking this all into consideration, the first thing I did was go out and buy a beat up, stock, í99 SV650, from another member on the board.

Iíve always had a soft spot for the SV, I know I donít need the extra power, and I always like a project; so I said fuck it and went for it.

The day I brought it home

The Bad:
Fork seals are completely blown
Steering head pops like a Chinese firecracker
Gauge cluster is M.I.A.
Shock is a question mark. Supposedly from a ZX10?
Clutch needs adjustment
Tires are shot
Maintenance is a giant question mark as I donít know the mileage or the history

The Good:
Engine seems to be strong and is running like a champ
Frame is in good condition and has a clear title

I donít know if I should classify this as a good sign or a bad sign

The plan is to buy everything I can used, or as cheap as possible. I happen to have a set of K5 GSXR 1000 Forks, Bottom Triple, Clip-ons, Axle, Calipers, and Master Cylinder already lying around from another project that never got off the ground. I plan on trying to swap those on, but Iím currently reading thousands of archived posts on SVRider, trying to figure out exactly what combo of parts I need in order to make the swap work.

Aside from the fork swap I plan on sourcing the following parts before taking it to the track:

Chain and sprockets (any suggestions on sprocket sizes?)
Rearsets
Tachometer
Pilot Pures
Race Plastics
GSXR Rear Shock (if the current shock isnít up to the task)
Routine Maintenance Parts (Oil Filter, Bearings, Valve Shims, etc.)

I know a lot of people on the board race SVs and half of the posts Iíve read on SVRider are from Nudist, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Now lets see if I can get this thing rolling by the Roger Lyle day on August 7th

-Tommy
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

July 14, 2011, 09:05 AM

Awesome idea. I want a track bike at some point but money's fucked right now.

I don't have any advice for ya, but lemme know if you need help with heavy lifting or anything.

Also, what size woodcraft pin would that thing take for a front stand? I have a 15mm you can have if it will fit.

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#3)
Street Bonk Bum.....

July 14, 2011, 09:09 AM

Chain and sprockets (any suggestions on sprocket sizes?) 520 kit for sure....sprockets depend on what track your running
Rearsets-get woodcraft
Tachometer
Pilot Pures- I have dunlop 209 take offs and pilot one takes FS
Race Plastics
GSXR Rear Shock (if the current shock isnít up to the task)-i have one fs i used to run in my sv before i swapped to penske

CCS AM # 204
Unread
  (#4)
GP Racer

July 14, 2011, 09:22 AM

Too bad you're not in Louisiana. I have what you're looking for for sale, but it's currently sitting down there.

'02 SV-650S track bike (for sale, but in Shreveport, LA)
'05 Yamaha TTR-125L
'94 Dodge Viper RT/10
other boring stuff
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to mangle  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

July 14, 2011, 09:23 AM

Congrats on the new ride. I'm working on closing a similar deal on an '01 that is already tracked out. I wanted something I could toss down the track and not feel bad about it.

I wouldn't worry about the race plastics for now if money is any sort of issue unless you come across a screaming deal on a used set. Unless you're racing the plastics are largely just cosmetic.
Unread
  (#6)
Street Bonk Bum.....

July 14, 2011, 09:26 AM

i also have a used set of armor bodies body work (2nd gen style) was crashed has some cracks etc...make me a offer....

CCS AM # 204
Unread
  (#7)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

July 14, 2011, 10:25 AM

I have some bodywork you can have.

Front forks - skip the GSXR forks. You don't really need them. Get fork seals, emulators, and bel-ray 30wt oil. The forks work very very well with that setup. And you can do that in a couple of house with no problem. If you need that done I can do it for you no problem. I used to do all the front forks on my SVs to good effect.

Chain & sprocket - 520 - 15/45, but get a 46 & a 44 to be safe. It depends on your riding ability.

rearsets - yes. Get the $150-200 sets. Not the $350 sets. That are usually the first thing trashed in a wreck.

Frame sliders would be a good thing as well.

Front stay for the fairing - you will need this with bodywork.

Steel braided brake lines for front brakes, sintered pads as well. I would also check the tolerance on the brake rotors front and back. You are talking about an 11 year old bike you know.

Thats off the top of my head.

Keener

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#8)
Typical Stripper

July 14, 2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDawg View Post

Front forks - skip the GSXR forks. You don't really need them. Get fork seals, emulators, and bel-ray 30wt oil. The forks work very very well with that setup. And you can do that in a couple of house with no problem. If you need that done I can do it for you no problem. I used to do all the front forks on my SVs to good effect.

Chain & sprocket - 520 - 15/45, but get a 46 & a 44 to be safe. It depends on your riding ability.

rearsets - yes. Get the $150-200 sets. Not the $350 sets. That are usually the first thing trashed in a wreck.

Steel braided brake lines for front brakes, sintered pads as well. I would also check the tolerance on the brake rotors front and back. You are talking about an 11 year old bike you know.

Keener
Im with Keener here with all except the 30W oil. Depending on rider weight, 15-20 is typically pretty good in these forks from my experience but I am a pretty lean fella.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
GDMFSOB

July 14, 2011, 10:41 AM

My $0.02:
If the forks are indeed stock, holla at R&R or Manassas Honda. Both have really good suspension people. Get their opinion on filling the tubes with better components/ stock rebuild vs. changing them out (unless your gixxer tubes are a direct fit). With 2 track days under your belt, you may or not necessarily benefit from throwing a ton of money at it up front. I know I didn't do shit to mine aside from set-up at first. If you do use the gixxer tubes, pay attention to ride height not so much how much tube is sticking out of the top of the tripple. They may have different lengths.
The stock rear sets might be ok at first, I don't know how quick they are to drag. Just don't toss the old ones because you might need them as spares one day. Hopefully not
A lot of people don't mess with the rear shock. Some may differ but I think forks are more important at first. Since the unit is a ?? you will definitely want to find out at least what it is from.
BRAKES BRAKES BRAKES! Just as MudDawg said.
You will dig the Pures, I sure do!
Best of luck, man. I'm doing the same thing to a zx6r

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#10)
Street Bonk Bum.....

July 14, 2011, 11:06 AM

call up ffx....those guys can build a SICK SV race bike mine is there if you want to look at it for some ideas....

CCS AM # 204
Unread
  (#11)
Air-Cooled Goodness

July 14, 2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefitzvh View Post
Awesome idea. I want a track bike at some point but money's fucked right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefitzvh View Post

I don't have any advice for ya, but lemme know if you need help with heavy lifting or anything.

Also, what size woodcraft pin would that thing take for a front stand? I have a 15mm you can have if it will fit.

Thanks for the offer on the pin, but I donít have a woodcraft stand. I might take you up on your offer for help if I run into any snags. Money is tight for me as well so Iíll let you know how thin of a budget I get this done on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWZelibor View Post
Chain and sprockets (any suggestions on sprocket sizes?) 520 kit for sure....sprockets depend on what track your running
Rearsets-get woodcraft
Tachometer
Pilot Pures- I have dunlop 209 take offs and pilot one takes FS
Race Plastics
GSXR Rear Shock (if the current shock isnít up to the task)-i have one fs i used to run in my sv before i swapped to penske
Thanks for the offers to buy your stuff, however unsurprising they may be as well as the advice.

I might be interested in the shock, but Iíll have to see what type of shape this one is in first

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangle View Post
Too bad you're not in Louisiana. I have what you're looking for for sale, but it's currently sitting down there.

I remember seeing that one before I got this one, but the logistics wouldnít work at this price point. Just a reminder of how I shouldíve bought one already done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post
Congrats on the new ride. I'm working on closing a similar deal on an '01 that is already tracked out. I wanted something I could toss down the track and not feel bad about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post

I wouldn't worry about the race plastics for now if money is any sort of issue unless you come across a screaming deal on a used set. Unless you're racing the plastics are largely just cosmetic.
Good advice, the plastics are on the bottom of my to-do list. LMK what days you plan on doing with the sv and Iíll see how far I end up behind you after the first lap. FYI I just got the august edition of sport rider, and there is a whole article on modding the 1st gen FZ1

Quote:
Quote:

Keener
Great advice! I would definitely like to take the bodywork off of your hands.

The only reason I went straight for the GSXR forks is because theyíve been collecting dust in the garage for two years now and Iíve already considered them a sunk cost. The price of clip-ons, emulators, and brake hardware for the stock forks might blow my budget. I was going to do the fork seals on the stock forks just because itís easy and itís nice to have a working set around. Iíll price out the stuff for the stock forks/brakes and see whatís up.

I imagine the shorter gearing is probably best for me as Iím not carrying the exit speed to use the taller gearing yet.

The only thing Iíve seen are the woodcraft and vortex rearsets that are in the ~$300 range. Have any brands your recommend in the $150-200. I will need the shift rods and ball/socket joints as the ones on the bike are bent and worn out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
My $0.02:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
If the forks are indeed stock, holla at R&R or Manassas Honda. Both have really good suspension people. Get their opinion on filling the tubes with better components/ stock rebuild vs. changing them out (unless your gixxer tubes are a direct fit). With 2 track days under your belt, you may or not necessarily benefit from throwing a ton of money at it up front. I know I didn't do shit to mine aside from set-up at first. If you do use the gixxer tubes, pay attention to ride height not so much how much tube is sticking out of the top of the tripple. They may have different lengths.
The stock rear sets might be ok at first, I don't know how quick they are to drag. Just don't toss the old ones because you might need them as spares one day. Hopefully not
A lot of people don't mess with the rear shock. Some may differ but I think forks are more important at first. Since the unit is a ?? you will definitely want to find out at least what it is from.
BRAKES BRAKES BRAKES! Just as MudDawg said.
You will dig the Pures, I sure do!
Best of luck, man. I'm doing the same thing to a zx6r
GSXR swap is fairly direct and well documented (including fork tube length) on SVRider. I believe I have 75% of the parts already (need a top triple, steering head bearing and front wheel/rotors). But like others have now suggested Iíll look into what I can do with the stock forks and brakes.

I think the rear will be ok for my level. Although I noticed the compression adjustment screw was partially broken off last night. I doubt that is a good sign

I have pures on the Buell and was amazed by the traction I was getting at the MARRC day. Iíll definitely have more tire than talent.

-Tommy
Unread
  (#12)
Ballaugh Bridge

July 14, 2011, 02:33 PM

If you insist on the GSXR front end I believe I may have the head bearings you need if they are the same ones as used with an SV1000 front end swap.

I tried a SV1000 front end but promptly put the stock stuff back on.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#13)
#swag

July 14, 2011, 02:44 PM

Track bikes are stupid.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#14)
Groping is a skill...

July 14, 2011, 05:45 PM

That seems like a really well put together idea, now you just gotta execute. If you're set on Michelins start with Power Pures, and once you get a little faster (in a season or so) jump power ones. You'll love them. Suspension and brakes should be where all your $$ goes. You can track the bike without body work and on $200 Chinese eBay rearsets just fine.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#15)
unapologetic

July 14, 2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:

Keener
pay attention to this. Keener knows his stuff about 1st gen SV's, so does SVbadguy. I wouldn't leap into 30w oil for the forks right away, but it's something to consider if you are a big dude.

I have a stock GSXR rear shock you can HAVE FOR FREE. Since it's sitting in my garage going nowhere and doing nothing, I would like to see it out on the track.

I raced a '99 SV in 2006-07. It was a great bike and a lot of fun. Doing it over I would only change the carbs to fuel injection.

"ride on #47, ride on"

on the internet you can be anyone you want, it's strange that so many people choose to be so stupid