DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 543
4 members and 539 guests
davidcycle, dubplaya, legendindisguise, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Suzuki

LinkBack Thread Tools
DRZ suspension settings (SM question)
Unread
  (#1)
( * )|( * )

Question DRZ suspension settings (SM question) - November 26, 2006, 08:49 AM

How do you all set the rear up on your SM? I know the front is supposed to be set slightly soft so it dives allowing the bike to be backed in easily. I think I have the front set up pretty well, I can get the bike to back into pretty much any sharp turn now.

HOWEVER...the rear is still a bit confusing for me at the moment. From stock I have a lot of sag, when I sit on the bike I have about 3 inches of sag. Does anyone know what the rear suspension settings should be as far as do I want it a bit harder or should it be soft?

The bike feels fine but sometimes it feels like the rear is just too soft so I ask because I don't know whether the suspension is supposed to be so soft or if I should try hardening it a bit.

What has worked for you? Please SM owners/riders please respond!

Thanks in advance

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Former Rock Star

November 26, 2006, 09:48 AM

Go under Forums and then How to section and Space has a thread there
called suspension basics that looks like the link will address your question.
Good luck. Not to stiff in the rear or that next bump may send you catapulting
over your windscreen. Not to stiff in the rear sounded like advice if you're going
to prison.

"there can't be 2 number 1's, that'd be 11!"
~Eric
(The Irish Guy) R.I.P
Unread
  (#3)
Former Rock Star

November 26, 2006, 09:50 AM

http://www.strappe.com/suspension.html
This is the link that Space posted.

"there can't be 2 number 1's, that'd be 11!"
~Eric
(The Irish Guy) R.I.P
Unread
  (#4)
( * )|( * )

November 26, 2006, 11:06 AM

Thanks...but I was curious to Supermoto style suspension settings. I think the article you put up was based more towards roadbikes.

I appreciate the help though! I'm interested in getting feedback from those who ride supermoto on track/street/jumps (mixed dirt)

I put my rear suspension to 2 inches of sag from 3 so I'll test it out in the meantime!

Chris
Unread
  (#5)
BOHICA

November 26, 2006, 02:50 PM

Have you checked out Thumpertalk.com? They have a Suzuki specific section that might be able to help on setting up the rear of your SM.

I'm browsing through the section now. Not finding much, but there are plenty of threads available. You might be able to find something there.

'05 SV
'05 SSR 125 SB-A
'98 Impreza RS

Member of the 72% Club
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to AJ711  
Unread
  (#6)
( * )|( * )

November 26, 2006, 08:04 PM

I think a few people put up a link but I didn't get to check them out yet. Well, I took the bike out with the stiffer rear and found that it didn't work well. I have a tight course that I like to run for practice/fun and the bike felt just too stiff. Also, I noticed I was spinning up the rear a lot where before the rear pretty much stayed planted. I softened up the rear a little and the bike felt better. I think I need to keep adjusting it so that I can find that perfect spot.

On another note, I added a little bit of rebound on my R6 and so far the front feels really good. I felt like the stiffness on the front was good but there was just something missing that didn't give me quite the feedback I would like so I haven't felt 100% comfortable with the front settings. On the way back from riding I added a little rebound (from the store it was set all the way soft) and the front so far felt good. I really didn't get to hit many hard turns but I liked what I noticed.
I have the rear pretty much perfect on my R6 (street and track) so now I'm trying to figure out the front on both bikes and the rear of my supermoto! lots of work to do!

Chris
Unread
  (#7)
( * )|( * )

November 27, 2006, 12:21 PM

Here's a site I was given from supermotojunkie.com's forum.

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/racesag.asp

Hope this is helpful!

Chris
Unread
  (#8)
BOHICA

November 27, 2006, 02:03 PM

I saw that link as well. Wasn't sure how beneficial it would be to you since you're setting it up for SM and not purely MX. Unfortunately, I think most of your learning is going to come from what you mentioned above. Ride, adjust, ride, feel difference, adjust, ride, feel difference, adjust, ride... lather rinse repeat. I guess just try and hit the same corners at the same speeds and styles and see how things feel different and figure out where you like things set.

Good luck and let us know how things come out.

'05 SV
'05 SSR 125 SB-A
'98 Impreza RS

Member of the 72% Club
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to AJ711  
Unread
  (#9)
( * )|( * )

November 27, 2006, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ711
I saw that link as well. Wasn't sure how beneficial it would be to you since you're setting it up for SM and not purely MX. Unfortunately, I think most of your learning is going to come from what you mentioned above. Ride, adjust, ride, feel difference, adjust, ride, feel difference, adjust, ride... lather rinse repeat. I guess just try and hit the same corners at the same speeds and styles and see how things feel different and figure out where you like things set.

Good luck and let us know how things come out.
You're exactly right, so far the front is pretty good so I'll keep playing around with the rear. I found that too hard the bike feels unstable since the rear isn't squatting when the throttle is opened and the rear tire wants to spin. I have a nice course so I'll keep playing around until I get a good feeling from the bike. I think I'm pretty close...I softened it up a little after hardening the rear which was too hard so I'll play with the compression and rebound...problem is it's just so easy to get lost in suspension settings because on one hand you have the initial compression which dictates how hard or soft the suspension is...then you have the rebound which dictates how responsive the suspension is...ugh! I'm learning a ton though...but my goal is to get the bike perfect! Right now...it's pretty close though

On my R6 I noticed that my R6 was set to "soft" on the rebound so I hardened it a little bit and the bike seems to provide a bit more feedback. DRZ I hardened up the compression a little bit and the front is pretty much perfect...so not only am I working on the DRZ but my R6 as well...in my two years of riding I haven't played around with the suspension much other than trying one click on compression (+1 front and -1 rear) so this is an interesting experience.

Sad part is I've never even set the sag on ANY of my bikes yet either so this year one of my goals is to sort out my suspension along with the billion other riding aspects I need to improve.

Chris

Last edited by deviousR6; November 27, 2006 at 02:49 PM..