DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 604
3 members and 601 guests
beatle, dubplaya, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Suzuki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Got a new toy today!!! 06 DR-Z400SM
Unread
  (#1)
( * )|( * )

Cool Got a new toy today!!! 06 DR-Z400SM - August 12, 2006, 04:12 PM

Well I picked up my 06 DR-Z from Romney Cycles in West Virginia...let me just say that they were really easy to deal with and their price was amazing!
I picked up my DRZ for $5195!!! OTD including a 3 year extended warranty I ended up walking out paying $5550 and every other dealer in my area was quoting between $6500 to $7000 OTD.

I got in about 50 miles today, at first it was a bit intimidating because I am used to my R6 which sits much lower...being so far up was a bit odd at first but after a while I got used to it and began to like the view. I really think this is going to help build the skills I need for roadracing...one more aspect of riding to learn which I love!!!
Handling...I haven't adjusted anything but so far the bike is pretty impressive, I've hit some turns pretty fast and you can really sense what is going on...the bike pretty much inspires confidence! Power was surprisingly good...it's faster than I expected and I had it up to 85 to 90mph and it handled it just fine. Little bit of wind resistance and movement but nothing that I'd say bothered me at all. The brakes are unreal! WOW...I mean I can pretty much stop on a dime at any speed anytime...very very very impressive!
It didn't take very long to get used to the powerband of the bike either, I did hit rev-limiter once but I just need to learn the exhaust note and I'll be fine...it's a little weird not having a tach but that's one less distraction so I think it will help me on my race bike as well...as far as going by sound VS a reading...not to mention the other skills required that already I can see will have BIG benefits!
I can't wait to get more miles on the bike...like everyone said, it's a blast and even crusing normal roads is fun...I can't explain how or why but it is! I think I made an excellent choice! Now, I need to learn how to ride this beast!
It's interesting how sportbikes look...people don't know what to think when they see the bike. I don't think the Harley guys like us too much...a couple waived and most refused...couple of times I was tempted to turn around and follow them through some turns
Anyhow, I really like the bike, I do want to get an exhaust so that it's a bit louder. I suppose I'll need to get a Jet-Kit as well? I was thinking of just getting a slip-on...depending on price difference I may just go with a full system.

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Last edited by deviousR6; August 12, 2006 at 04:16 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

August 12, 2006, 04:20 PM

very nice Chris. Now post some pictures.

Katie 135
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Brooks  
Unread
  (#3)
( * )|( * )

August 12, 2006, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks
very nice Chris. Now post some pictures.
Funny you say that...I just cleaned up the bike and went to take pics and the batteries are dead...grrr...I'll post some up as soon as I a few batteries.

Bike is stock so it looks good but when I'm done it's going to look crazy!

Chris
Unread
  (#4)
B
It goes to 11.

August 12, 2006, 05:09 PM

Chris:

What do you think of the acceleration? Highway?
Does it travel comfortably at 75-80?
Vibration?
Is there anything better about the 06 vs 05-04?

I am REALLY REALLY looking at one of these for a tool around bike. And tracking the Suzuki, I rode Harveys, I liked it but beyond what I would imagine is 4K it died off pretty quick, kicking it through the gears helped.

Awesome chris!!!

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#5)
EX-small helmet for me??

August 12, 2006, 05:29 PM

Congrats on the new toy!! Sounds like you got a really good deal since the msrp is $6199. I saw an advertisement in Valley Trader for Romney Cycles today and wondered if they were fully stocked with metric bike?? If so, I may have to go to the wild and wonderful for my new toy.... Thanks for the tip....enjoy your new ride!!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Twinky1122  
Unread
  (#6)
B
It goes to 11.

August 12, 2006, 05:32 PM

Oh, whats the deal with sales tax Chris? I heard you save on the sale, then they hit you with the sales tax bigtime upon registration in VA. What is the total incl the taxes?

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Last edited by Brooks; August 12, 2006 at 05:52 PM..
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

August 12, 2006, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrben
Oh, whats the deal with sales tax Chris? I heard you save on the sale, then they hit you with the sales tax bigtime upon registration in VA. What is the total incl the taxes?
Here you go Ben.

Unless exempted under Va. Code 58.1-2403, Virginia levys a 3% Motor Vehicle Sales and Use Tax based on the vehicle's gross sales price or $35, whichever is greater.

Plus an additional $27.50 for a VA registration.

I've bought all my bikes in MD and WV and have never had a problem registering them in VA.
Sorry for editing your post Ben, I meant to hit Quote instead of Edit.

Katie 135
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Brooks  
Unread
  (#8)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

August 12, 2006, 06:29 PM

Good job on getting a great deal. I will have to get the duke out and we can go tear up some back roads. Yea when people see me on the duke they don't know what to think.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#9)
B
It goes to 11.

August 12, 2006, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks
Here you go Ben.

Unless exempted under Va. Code 58.1-2403, Virginia levys a 3% Motor Vehicle Sales and Use Tax based on the vehicle's gross sales price or $35, whichever is greater.

Plus an additional $27.50 for a VA registration.

I've bought all my bikes in MD and WV and have never had a problem registering them in VA.
Sorry for editing your post Ben, I meant to hit Quote instead of Edit.
Thanks SO much for the info Brooks!!!

So basically Chris paid around $250 in tax and the regular $27 for the reg. Still a fantastic deal. I am really looking at getting one of these depending on the rideability. Post those pics Chris!!!

SV650s for SALE!!!

Unread
  (#10)
( * )|( * )

August 12, 2006, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Chris:

What do you think of the acceleration? Highway?
Does it travel comfortably at 75-80?
Vibration?
Is there anything better about the 06 vs 05-04?

I am REALLY REALLY looking at one of these for a tool around bike. And tracking the Suzuki, I rode Harveys, I liked it but beyond what I would imagine is 4K it died off pretty quick, kicking it through the gears helped.

Awesome chris!!!
Well, the bike is rated at ~37HP to the wheel...so it has good acceleration but it's of course nothing compared to a 600cc...but it isn't exactly slow either. I topped it out today...I've done that to every bike I own so I figured why not this one! At 85 to 90 it had no vibrations that were noticeable and it felt solid. No complaints at all in that department.

As far as registration, all I need to do is bring the WV registration and transfer it to Virginia and pay the sales tax so it's not very bad...$5550 I don't think will be very high when it comes to the sales tax.

So far I love the bike...it's very forgiving and the handling is unreal! I can't wait to get in more miles tomorrow

Dodge....we'll definitely have to gather up some "tards" and do a ride! I'll post up a pic once I get the stupid camera up and running again!

Chris
Unread
  (#11)
( * )|( * )

August 12, 2006, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks SO much for the info Brooks!!!

So basically Chris paid around $250 in tax and the regular $27 for the reg. Still a fantastic deal. I am really looking at getting one of these depending on the rideability. Post those pics Chris!!!
5550 x 3% = 166.5

Either way, it's not too much for the tax and tags...most dealers in our area are asking upwards of $6800 OTD (tax and tag included) so I saved a TON.

As far as 06 VS 05 I don't know of any differences...I believe they are the exact same bike!

Let me know if you get it...we'll have to tear up a parking lot and back the hell out of it!

travis has one of his bikes set up so we can get him out as well.

So far I know of Harvey, Dodge, and Travis...who have tards.

Chris
Unread
  (#12)
Asleep at the wheel!

August 12, 2006, 08:28 PM

Congrats on the new bike! It sounds like you will be having a lot of fun on it.

'82 Honda CB750 f Supersport
'03 Suzuki SV650s
'05 Yamaha TTR 125 LE
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to SquirrelHead Send a message via AIM to SquirrelHead Send a message via MSN to SquirrelHead Send a message via Skype™ to SquirrelHead 
Unread
  (#13)
B
It goes to 11.

August 12, 2006, 09:05 PM

I calc-ed $30 per thousand and did it against $6500 for some reason. Oops... I'm definately looking at a motard to bounce around on, something I wont mind dropping in the winter, etc. Parking lot hooliganism is def on man!

Super cheap Chris. Really, really cheap...

SV650s for SALE!!!

Last edited by B; August 12, 2006 at 09:07 PM..
Unread
  (#14)
1 of DA PAK FOUNDERS!!

August 12, 2006, 09:15 PM

congrats

R1 , 2001
Gixxer 2005
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Chico Send a message via AIM to Chico  
Unread
  (#15)
Officially Addicted to Posting

August 12, 2006, 11:40 PM

Awesome!!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy