DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 161
2 members and 159 guests
GRN96WS6, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Suzuki

LinkBack Thread Tools
GS500E Petcock Setting?
Unread
  (#1)
U aving a giggle m8

Question GS500E Petcock Setting? - August 9, 2013, 08:18 PM

So I've read some conflicting information all around the internet, and compared with the MSF course I'm a little lose. In the MSF course I took, we were taught to turn off the petcock whenever the bike wasn't in use. However, the GS500E only has the settings "ON", "RES", or "PRI". I've been leaving it on "PRI" when it's not in use, but apparently that might flood the carbs since that is gravity run.

However, leaving the bike's setting as "ON", is fine because the bike works by vacuum and won't cause the carbs to overflow. So any input into this would be great, since I've been leaving it on "PRI" and I haven't had any problem, and from the few times I've forgotten to switch it from "ON" I also haven't had any problems. I set it on "ON" for tonight, so if I don't wake up to a flooded carb I guess that'll be a success.

So any help or a straight answer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Don't believe the hype...

August 9, 2013, 08:23 PM

If your floats work like they should, they shouldn't flood the carbs, unless of course your carbs are weird and suck up fuel though the pilot jets on their own while the bike is off. The purpose of a float is to shut off the fuel delivery when it gets to a certain level in the bowl.

Edit: I'd also look for a manual and see what they suggest?
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

August 9, 2013, 08:31 PM

Leave it in the on position. If your petcock is working properly the fuel will only flow from it when vacuum is present from the engine running. The same holds true for the reserve position. Prime should only be used if the fuel valve fails or to refill the carbs when removing the bike from storage.
Unread
  (#4)
U aving a giggle m8

August 9, 2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLEVEL View Post
Leave it in the on position. If your petcock is working properly the fuel will only flow from it when vacuum is present from the engine running. The same holds true for the reserve position. Prime should only be used if the fuel valve fails or to refill the carbs when removing the bike from storage.
Gotcha. Yeah that is what I have read online, and I think that's what I'm going to go with. There is a lot of conflicting info out there, but this does make the most sense. Thanks!
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

August 9, 2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largewill View Post
Gotcha. Yeah that is what I have read online, and I think that's what I'm going to go with. There is a lot of conflicting info out there, but this does make the most sense. Thanks!
There will always be conflicting info online. Everyone is an expert behind a keyboard.
Unread
  (#6)
U aving a giggle m8

August 9, 2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLEVEL View Post
There will always be conflicting info online. Everyone is an expert behind a keyboard.
Haha so true. Thanks again though, it's good to finally have a straight answer. This has been bothering me on and off for a while now.
Unread
  (#7)
This Ain't My First Time!

August 9, 2013, 09:14 PM

Dude I have the 1981 GS650 Zuk. I have had the bike since 2001 and I had the same issue when I first got it. Leave it in the "ON" position when not riding. You can leave it in "PRI", but after more than 3 to 5 days it will overcome the float needles and flood into your engine, air filter assembly, and all over the floor. This happens because in "PRI" the circuit defeats the vacuum activated mechanism to let fuel run to the engine normally when running. You only want that circuit defeated when the bike is running, or you need to PRIME the carb with fuel. After that it should be in the "ON" position at all times. If you leave it in "PRI" you will have gas everywhere. If you leave it in "ON" that will activate the vacuum circuit that will not let fuel flow when not running. When you turn on the bike the vacuum circuit will be defeated letting fuel flow to the engine like it is supposed to.

I am speaking from experience with this bike. I still have the bike by the way and I still love riding it.

OVER? did you say "Over"? Nothing is over until we decide its over, was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No!!!

~Blutarski~

Dodge131:
If your goal is to scrape knee within 1 mile of your house then you sir have a problem.

Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to