DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 580
2 members and 578 guests
beatle, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Suzuki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Katana experiences?
Unread
  (#1)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

Katana experiences? - April 14, 2006, 01:19 PM

I've noticed that a lot of folks around here ride or have ridden Katanas. I have a '95 600 myself. It's my first bike, so I have no experience with others. I was wondering what the general opinions of these bikes were.

Has anyone had any problems with a Katana? (Other than rust mine has been maintenance free for the year that I've owned it).
How does the ride compare with other sport bikes or sport tourers?
Is the 750 very different from the 600?
They changed the bike in '97. Were the changes only cosmetic?

For anyone who has known a Katana, would you recommend another bike, and why?

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Ride fast, ride safe

April 14, 2006, 01:32 PM

Good question. I was thinking about buying one for my wife who wants to start riding. She saw one in a lot and said it was "pretty" and "does it come it purple." Whatever, she wants to ride so I'm not complaining.

My main concern are the brakes. Good grip? Kinda mushy?

Silver '04 CBR1000RR
"It's for freedom that He set us free."
http://www.dcsportbikes.net/photoplo...4/1_honda2.jpg
Unread
  (#3)
Addicted to Cajen food...

April 14, 2006, 01:33 PM

MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Officially Addicted to Posting

April 14, 2006, 01:58 PM

I had one as my first bike and liked it alot. I didn't really know alot about bikes at the time, but it did everything I wanted it to do and more, so I had no complaints. Very good basic motorcycle. My dad bought a 750 at the same time, and I enjoyed riding them both. The 750 had a little more oomph and was better for highway cruising, but other than that, not much difference. They are both heavy compared to today's modern supersports, and the brakes and suspension are not as good, but if you aren't trying to push them beyond their limits, then it doesn't really matter much.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#5)
whoa preppy......

April 14, 2006, 02:05 PM

great bike with a bullet proof motor. Pretty comfy and easy to maintain. The change over saw the katana get updated bodywork and wider, sportbike spec wheels and tires. Screw the neigh sayers and have fun on it. It's a good bike.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

April 14, 2006, 02:10 PM

I can't answer the brakes question because I don't have anything to compare them to (except my husband's Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic cruiser, which has better brakes by far). I've locked up the back tire twice (didn't drop the bike either time) and there are times the brakes make me nervous (maybe mushy?) but they probably need some attention (gonna get them done in a week or two with some help).

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
Unread
  (#7)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

April 14, 2006, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzu
Hehe. I must agree, the '95 isn't a pretty bike.
I did recently paint mine, though, but the purple rims still make guys wanna hurl.
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

April 14, 2006, 02:18 PM

I learned how to ride on a Katana 600 (previously had "played" on a Ninja 250). My buddy was real nice to let me use it when he was working.

Great bike. Really comfortable.

'00 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R
'03 Honda XR100R
Xbox: ThrustinJ
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ThrustinJZX6  
Unread
  (#9)
Officially Addicted to Posting

April 14, 2006, 04:25 PM

BTW, and I'm sure you didn't mean it this way, but no bike is ever fully "maintenance free," but I have seen many that people treat that way.

There are always things that need inspection, adjustment, lubrication, replacement, inflation, filling. Preventive maintenance is key!

[/soapbox]

Last edited by rddy; April 14, 2006 at 04:40 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#10)
BIG SACK RYDAZ

April 14, 2006, 06:24 PM

My first street bike was a 1997 Katana 600 and it was an awesome starter bike. It was low maintenance and very forgiving. It's not the fastest thing in the world, which is okay if you're just starting out. I liked it because it was comfortable and reliable. I had mine for about a year and a half and I never had any problems with it. They are cheap, easy to fix, and easy to ride.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to triplestack3 Send a message via AIM to triplestack3  
Unread
  (#11)
Got my Permit

April 14, 2006, 08:06 PM

My second bike was a 97 Katana 600 as well. As mentioned before, great motor, solid design, very stable and very forgiving. As a commuter bike (I put 12.5K mi on it in two years) it's a great bike. Very economical... and it has a gas gauge!!! LOL.

But if you plan on riding with other people, be prepared to be left behind. It just can't keep up. I know.. I know, it all depends on what type of riding we are talkling about. I rode one for two seasons... traded it in on a brand new Gixer 600, rode that for three and a half then traded for a brand new Busa which I just got. After riding the gambit of Suzuki sport bikes, and in that order... I'd recommend the Katana to any new rider. A seasoned rider... well, probably not.
Unread
  (#12)
Licensed Rider

April 14, 2006, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot
great bike with a bullet proof motor. Pretty comfy and easy to maintain. The change over saw the katana get updated bodywork and wider, sportbike spec wheels and tires. Screw the neigh sayers and have fun on it. It's a good bike.
Like Scot said, the motor is bullet proof. It's a detuned GSXR air/oiled cooled mill bored/stroked to 599cc. The old gsxr air/oil cooled mills did it all in their hay day... WERA endurance, formula xtreme, superbike, supersport, turbo/nos dragstrips, etc. Suzuki and Yoshimura made the most outta them before liquid cooled gsxr's came out. Great engine to work on... atleast for me... missed my '92 gsxr11.

Truth: Marines are the Ambassadors in Blue, they can be found in all "climes" and place.

...But, do you know how a Marine "rates" the countries and cities he's toured?

...By how easy it is to get laid, get drunk, and get in a fight.

...Go figure.
Unread
  (#13)
Ride fast, ride safe

April 14, 2006, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat
I can't answer the brakes question because I don't have anything to compare them to (except my husband's Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic cruiser, which has better brakes by far). I've locked up the back tire twice (didn't drop the bike either time) and there are times the brakes make me nervous (maybe mushy?) but they probably need some attention (gonna get them done in a week or two with some help).
Thanks Kat...just what I wanted to know. And everyone else...great info. It will help us make a much more informed choice.

Silver '04 CBR1000RR
"It's for freedom that He set us free."
http://www.dcsportbikes.net/photoplo...4/1_honda2.jpg