DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 586
4 members and 582 guests
beatle, CCS762ZX6, MPSniper, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Suzuki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Leaky Gasket on 1995 GS500E
Unread
  (#1)
U aving a giggle m8

Thumbs up Leaky Gasket on 1995 GS500E - July 18, 2013, 11:18 AM

Any experience on how difficult this might be of a replacement? Anyone willing to help me out with this replacement? I'll treat you to lunch and a case of beer

I don't have most of the tools, and was just looking for some advice as to whether this even looks like it should be replaced.

Thanks everyone
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
AMA Superbike Champ

July 18, 2013, 11:30 AM

Looks like the lower cylinder gasket. It's a big job, you'll need to treat the person to Ruth's Crist...... a few times, lol. On the positive side, the bikes air cooled and a twin, so, it's definitely do-able in the back yard with basic tools and a piston ring clamp tool.
Unread
  (#3)
U aving a giggle m8

July 18, 2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianRacerboy View Post
Looks like the lower cylinder gasket. It's a big job, you'll need to treat the person to Ruth's Crist...... a few times, lol. On the positive side, the bikes air cooled and a twin, so, it's definitely do-able in the back yard with basic tools and a piston ring clamp tool.
Oh man. Don't have a piston ring clamp tool. Think it's something serious or I can get by with some light riding as long as I'm not redlining it or any highway driving?
Unread
  (#4)
GP Racer

July 18, 2013, 11:35 AM

Looks like it might be the base gasket, which would be a pain in the ass. (Remove seat, tank, airbox, carbs, exhaust, valve cover, camshafts, head, and cylinders, then replace. Definitely more than lunch )

How much oil does it leak? I would think having this done would cost about what the bike's worth. If it doesn't leak too badly, I'd leave it. Then again, it might be something else that's easier to fix - hard to tell just from a picture.

Edit: You guys posted while I was typing, but it's pretty much what he said. You don't necessarily need a piston ring compressor, but it makes it a bit easier.

Last edited by badguy; July 18, 2013 at 11:38 AM..
Unread
  (#5)
U aving a giggle m8

July 18, 2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguy View Post
Looks like it might be the base gasket, which would be a pain in the ass. (Remove seat, tank, airbox, carbs, exhaust, valve cover, camshafts, head, and cylinders, then replace. Definitely more than lunch )

How much oil does it leak? I would think having this done would cost about what the bike's worth. If it doesn't leak too badly, I'd leave it. Then again, it might be something else that's easier to fix - hard to tell just from a picture.
It really isn't that much. I cleaned it off this morning and rode about 5 miles to the gym, and didn't have any. On the way back I redlined it just for comparison, I did have a small amount. I'll keep an eye on it and the oil levels and go from there I guess.

Thanks for the input. I paid 1100 for the bike, so it really doesn't seem worth it for a whole rebuild.
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

July 18, 2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largewill View Post
It really isn't that much. I cleaned it off this morning and rode about 5 miles to the gym, and didn't have any. On the way back I redlined it just for comparison, I did have a small amount. I'll keep an eye on it and the oil levels and go from there I guess.

Thanks for the input. I paid 1100 for the bike, so it really doesn't seem worth it for a whole rebuild.
NOPE. Just ride it and keep an eye on the oil level. Dont let it over accumulate and drip too much though or its going on your back tire.
Unread
  (#7)
AMA Superbike Champ

July 18, 2013, 11:49 AM

Try re-torquing the head cylinder/head bolts. It could possibly help out a little if they are out of spec. Easy to do and worth a shot.

Quote:

Unread
  (#8)
AMA Superbike Champ

July 18, 2013, 11:51 AM

If you want to tackle this, find a manual online and you can also rent Piston Clampers free from Advanceauto or Autozone.

Quote:
Oh man. Don't have a piston ring clamp tool. Think it's something serious or I can get by with some light riding as long as I'm not redlining it or any highway driving?
Unread
  (#9)
Licensed Rider

July 18, 2013, 12:22 PM

Hello fellow Redditor! I saw that on r/motorcycles this morning. Looks like a pain in the ass job TBH! GL with it!
Unread
  (#10)
U aving a giggle m8

July 18, 2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluhokie12 View Post
NOPE. Just ride it and keep an eye on the oil level. Dont let it over accumulate and drip too much though or its going on your back tire.
I just cleaned up the accumulation from todays ride, was only a little oil. Oil levels seem fine, and I'll keep an eye on it. Thank.

Quote:
Try re-torquing the head cylinder/head bolts. It could possibly help out a little if they are out of spec. Easy to do and worth a shot.
Will do. I was looking at those earlier and they seem a little loose, can't hurt to tighten those up. Thanks.
Unread
  (#11)
AMA Superbike Champ

July 18, 2013, 12:34 PM

I remember test riding this bike and saw the leaks at the front and back of the engine.

Can you confirm it is not the tach cable leaking vs cylinder gasket?

#1 Machine: Open Class Suzuki GS500K2 / Bridgestone package
#2 Machine: Factory Suzuki GSXR600K6 / Bridgestone package - Garage queen
Unread
  (#12)
U aving a giggle m8

July 18, 2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkOnBlk600r View Post
I remember test riding this bike and saw the leaks at the front and back of the engine.

Can you confirm it is not the tach cable leaking vs cylinder gasket?
I have not checked the tach cable, but I will do so shortly
Unread
  (#13)
Stop light racer...

July 18, 2013, 12:55 PM

Make sure you know where the leak is actually coming from. Some times a Leaking Valve Cover gasket will drip down and accumulate on the lower part of the engine. Valve cover gaskets are fairly simple to replace.

Clean it real well, and keep your eye on it. Air cooled engines are much more forgiving since you don't have to worry about coolant mixing in your oil due to a bad seal.

- Norway Daily, 90' VFR750, V4 Touring Beast
- USA Daily, 08' Versys - Urban Assault vehicle
- Toy, 02' Ducati 900ss - Loud and angry noises
- Toy, 89' FZR600 - Raw Inline Deathbox
- Project, 91' CB250 - Goal: lightweight city bike
- Project, 79' CB350 - Finally runs, now to finish

- Sold, Red 94' VS800 - Loud as F@*$
* R.I.P. Blue 06' SV650, murdered by DC!
* R.I.P. Black 98' FZR600, murdered by DC!
- Sold, Red 81' GS650
- Sold, Black 81' CM400T
Unread
  (#14)
GP Racer

July 18, 2013, 01:16 PM

Good point about the tach cable, Blk.

I was trying to think of what else it could be and forgot that was up there. I'd be surprised if it were the valve cover gasket since it would have to be leaking pretty bad to be dripping all the way down to where it is. Still a good idea to clean everything well and pinpoint the source of the leak
Unread
  (#15)
Ballaugh Bridge

July 18, 2013, 03:40 PM

I used to have a GS500. That does look like it could be from the tach cable which is prone to coming loose.

Quote:

Quote:
Will do. I was looking at those earlier and they seem a little loose, can't hurt to tighten those up. Thanks.
You have to remove the valve cover. There are four more bolts within the head.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship