DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 529
2 members and 527 guests
davidcycle, dubplaya
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Suzuki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
pax
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

May 24, 2004, 08:50 PM

I was very close to buying a Ducati, but I have managed to see the light in terms of the repair costs and maintenance costs. Plus, the only bike I was considering from Ducati was a used one that ended up being a fixer-upper and this is not what I am looking for in a bike. The guy selling the Ducati even told me that the SV650 would be better for me for a couple reasons. I am a big dude at 240lbs and he told me that Japanese bikes are made even better than their automobile counterparts.

This will be my first bike, I like the standard style, and I don't think the SV650 will have too much power for me.

I'm looking for some othe reasons to buy one. I'd like to hear from other SV650 owners. I may even buy new. I kind of got turned off to used bikes after my experience tonight.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to pax Send a message via AIM to pax  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

May 24, 2004, 09:33 PM

Don't worry about getting used. Japanese bikes are pretty bullet proof for the most part. I am also a big dude and an SV will be plenty quick and will accomodate you well.
If you buy new, you will take a bath on it when you start thinking of plans to get another bike. New is a great way to go if you plan on keeping a bike for a long time. Most first bikes are on the chopping block within a year.

Look for a nice unmolested, stock SV. They are out there. Jsol might sell you his. You'll need to get some industrial cleaner to try and scrub the nerd off of it though.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Mr. Glass

May 24, 2004, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy6
Jsol might sell you his. You'll need to get some industrial cleaner to try and scrub the nerd off of it though.

yeah man.. look for a SV650.. its got good power.. and is still fairly upright seating position... making it easier on the arms and back.. id get a used one.. cause if you are just gonna be learning on it.. as we were talking up at the bar.. go w/ the SV you wont be dissapointed..

06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Unread
  (#4)
Got my Permit

June 2, 2004, 09:30 AM

I've ridden one once before and I was shocked at how much I liked it. It was very light and had excellent power for it's weight. Plus, the V-Twin has a nice sound and pulls great. The only problem is it runs out of steam if you are pushing it up near the triple digits. . . . which you shouldn't do anyways
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Jrmicon  
Unread
  (#5)
Got my Permit

June 2, 2004, 09:31 AM

I've ridden one once before and I was shocked at how much I liked it. It was very light and had excellent power for it's weight. Plus, the V-Twin has a nice sound and pulls great. The only problem is it runs out of steam if you are pushing it up near the triple digits. . . . which you shouldn't do anyways
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Jrmicon  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

June 2, 2004, 09:45 AM

before i got my sv650, i was considering a ducati monster too after riding a yamaha v-star. i did a lot of research and talked to a lot of people and the sv seemed like the better choice for many reasons. i was so happy with it.

i'd suggest going for the sv650S version with the half fairing. going from a bike with no fairing to one with fairings - there's a pretty big difference. i don't get blown around quite so much any more.

tfinch might still have hers for sale - you might want so send her a pm.
Unread
  (#7)
Richard Cranium

June 2, 2004, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymae
before i got my sv650, i was considering a ducati monster too after riding a yamaha v-star. i did a lot of research and talked to a lot of people and the sv seemed like the better choice for many reasons. i was so happy with it.

i'd suggest going for the sv650S version with the half fairing. going from a bike with no fairing to one with fairings - there's a pretty big difference. i don't get blown around quite so much any more.

tfinch might still have hers for sale - you might want so send her a pm.
You rode a V-Star? wear the chaps and stuff too?? lol

The SV650 is an awesome bike man...0-60 in around 3 seconds...pulls like a mule...and to be honest..I keep up with cheeko and his 1000...it sounds great when you get some aftermarket exhaust....as for mine...I put bar risers, corbin seat, and micron full system on it....if you want to check it out sometime just let me know....

and fyi, I bought mine new....love it...wont be getting rid of it for a while..its just too much damn fun!!.....and if/when you get into the "stunna" thing...this thing will wheelie... ...

check out www.svrider.com you will find mucho information...there is a huge aftermarket for these bikes....and they seem to last forever. The only choice you really have is 2003 or pree 2003......prior to 03 they had more rounder shape..and were not Fuel Injected. Need any more info just hit me up on pm or here....have fun!

05 HEMI WK
09 M109R
Unread
  (#8)
Super Moderator

June 2, 2004, 01:44 PM

I LOVE my SV. Love it, love it, love it. It was my first bike and it was a great bike to learn on. Love the way the V-twin sounds. I now use it for a track bike..kinda get blown away in the straights by R6s and such but overall it's a really great bike. I give it two enthusiastic thumbs up!

~Kim
CCS# 827
01 GSXR1000
01 SV650S

I'm ADOS: Attention Deficit Oooooohhhhh ... Shiny!!!

Life's a BITCH. 'Cause if it was a slut, it'd be easy.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to kevers  
Unread
  (#9)
Knee Draggin!

June 2, 2004, 02:16 PM

I've been very happy with my SV. Haven't had a chance to ride it much this season, but its definitely a great bike to start on. I have found it to be very forgiving, too.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Wheels Send a message via MSN to Wheels  
Unread
  (#10)
Officially Addicted to Posting

June 2, 2004, 04:05 PM

Yep! Love my SV, too! Noticing a trend yet? Great bikes! I could tell you that the suspension is kinda soft, yada, yada, but as a first bike, it probably wont mean very much (or matter much). The newer ones (2002-on) have pre-load adjustable forks as well as shock, which should help get the bike set up properly for your weight.

SVs, there not just for chicks anymore!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

June 3, 2004, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rddy
SVs, there not just for chicks anymore!
don't you mean "they're" - i'll lend you my dictionary once i'm done in the garden.
Unread
  (#12)
Officially Addicted to Posting

June 8, 2004, 03:16 PM

I knew busting on your spelling would come back to bite me in the ass! Didn't expect it quite so soon though!

P.S., I'll lend you my shift key!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#13)
Licensed Rider

June 26, 2004, 07:01 PM

I have a 2001 SV and its the 3rd bike ive owned and the one I love the best. I would recommend it to anyone...

'03 TL1000R

"If you run you'll only go to jail tired!"
Unread
  (#14)
Got my Permit

August 8, 2004, 10:05 PM

used to have an '00 SV50 and now I've got an '03 SV650S and it rocks. Got just enough power for fun and not let you get into too much trouble (sometimes). Lotsa aftermarket parts as well!

BoyBastos
2012 BMW S1000RR Motosport
2006 BMW R1200ST
Unread
  (#15)
MSF Student

October 6, 2004, 08:45 PM

Yes, you will find that this is the bike of choice recommended by seasoned riders who have rode one. I did alot of research before I bought it and it was nothing but good. It's quick and VERY flickable around corners, it has enough power to keep up with most higher CC'd bikes off the start and yes the v-twin really does sound different and NICE! I got a MIG carbon fiber high mount exhaust and it gives it a nice deep throaty sound. I would suggest the S faired verson as the wind can get to at high speeds. 01-02 are the better years, heard the 03's have had some transmission problems which hopefully haven't carried over to the 04's. The ride style is not as aggressive as most sports bikes and your arms/back will thank you! Being that your a big dude like me (6ft, 200lbs) the more upright riding stance is more comfortable for around the town riding.

I have the 01 SVS btw.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to QuiQNeZZ