DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 635
4 members and 631 guests
beatle, dubplaya, GRN96WS6, HotRod1200
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Suzuki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Mr. Glass

August 10, 2003, 01:41 PM

hey guys,
I just picked up a 96 RF900R Green... i was wondering what is the general consences of this bike.. i would like your assistance.. i know these bikes didnt sell to well so they cut them... but i was wondering if anyone knew of particular problems or issues about these bikes... thanks in advance..

ride on

aka... i also have a kawa zx6r

06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Unread
  (#2)
Mr. Glass

August 10, 2003, 09:03 PM

my bike is gay

anyone want a gay bike? ifso ill sell it to ya cheap!

runs great...

06 Black 10R

Quote:
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Unread
  (#3)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

August 11, 2003, 09:24 AM

The RF900 is a fine bike for sport touring and long rides.
Pull up to the plex on that bike and others will look at you as if you were Cthulhu riding an RCV211.

Contact Adawg on this board. He has/had one. He had a fair many miles as well. Perhaps he could shed some light.

2000 GSX-R750Y
Wise men ask questions...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Serial Killer

August 11, 2003, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Dear ScreaminZX6R,
It is wonderful that you have opened up yourself and asked for advice. Indeed these bikes didn't sell too well. In fact, when one is attempting to sell one nowdays, it is imperative that they subtract an additional $400 form the asking price. Why you ask? According to NADA, it is the depreciation that the seller must suffer in order to compensate for being so foolish for buying one in the first place. Now, you ask about any potential problems. One immediate problem is that people will automatically assume you are not too bright since you purchased a glorified moped. In addition, I have heard at many DCSN gatherings that an owner of an RF900R will suffer the following: being left behind the rest of pack of real ryders (unless the group you ride with meets at the Multiplex on Saturdays..then you shouldn't have any problem keeping up), chicks will refuse to acknowledge your presence, and cops may pull you over for (essentially) riding a bicycle with an exhaust pipe. Take care and thanks for asking. Mr. Crowley's advice is to donate the bike immediately to the National Museum for Ridiculous Purchases and just ride the ZX6R.

Upon the wings of angels does the Crowley ride.

Godspeed,
Mr.Crowley
damn, that was a good one

I'm a lead farmer, motherfucker!!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Diggy Send a message via AIM to Diggy  
Unread
  (#5)
Ex-racer TURNED Post Whore

August 11, 2003, 01:41 PM

actually,
if you pull up on anything with two wheels you will be accepted gracefully...
i don't know anything about the bike you bought but good luck

Honda Cbr600RR NESBA #135
"Your anger makes me Happy"
Ambivalent? Welllll, yes and no.
You are about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to KatiesGSXR600m Send a message via AIM to KatiesGSXR600m Send a message via MSN to KatiesGSXR600m  
Unread
  (#6)
Republicans for Voldemort

August 11, 2003, 02:08 PM

LOL

The RF900 was suzuki's answer to Honda's VFR - More Sport Touring Orientated riding... Full Faring with more of a sit up and beg riding position that the sportbikes of its day.... Not a bad bike, but couldn't really compare with VFR - VFR was better bike IMHO and only slighly more $$ - if memory serves..

That said, it's not a bad bike overall. I mean it's not going to compete with liter bikes of it's day, but has a decent powerplant, and would make a good allarounder/ commuter /tourer - just throw some bags and go..... Also, I think it shared alot of trickle down parts from previous years gsxrs in similiar fashion as the bandit's and Katanas(pronounced Kan of Tuna)...

Jason

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider  
Unread
  (#7)
Officially Addicted to Posting

August 11, 2003, 02:18 PM

Here is an article on the 1999 RF from Australia: (Note that $s are Australian $s)
http://www.mcnews.com.au/Testing/rf900.htm

The RF900R has one major downfall, most people do not like the way it looks, I think it looks OKAY, some love it, most loathe it. But after you get past that first impression and have ridden the 937cc sports-tourer - opinions can change quickly.
The RF9 was designed to fill the gap between Suzuki's all out fang machine, the GSXR-750 and the long in the tooth GSXR 1100. It fulfils this role quite well and is a far superior package to the GSXR-11.

On its release the Japanese company had got a bit carried away with itself, advertising that the RF9s looks were modelled off a stingray the designer had seen at an ocean aquarium. Maybe the Japanese are impressed by such statements, but I think us down here on the flipside just found those statements a bit corny and ridiculous.
The engine is quite good, it is now being left behind by some of the better modern engines that are found lurking beneath the plastic of the ZX9RC and YZF-R1. However, It is still good enough to out grunt a Fireblade on the dyno.

The in-line 4 cylinder was designed by Hiroshi Lio who also had a lot of input on the GSX-R series of engines.

He and his team decided that the fitment of small (for a 900+) 36mm carbs would help preserve low and mid-range torque while not sacrificing too much top end. The 28mm intake valves/24mm exhaust valves are also fairly small for the size of then engine, also for the same reason.

The final drive is quite high for a bike with a sporty nature, 43/15 is the combination of sprockets.
I would be tempted to add a couple of teeth to the rear for some more zap as 5th gear is a tad long.
The acceleration that the engine provides is great, easily the equal of many other bigger engined sportsbikes designed in 1994.

The riding position while not an armchair ride, is appreciably more comfortable than the GSXR-7.

The bike does have a few vibes coming through the grips around the 110 mark but these disappear when you pass 130.

The chassis is a good balance between comfort and fang modes. On standard settings I would say that its handling on very rough roads is a match for nearly anything.

The frame itself is painted steel which is fairly rare these days but does look a little classy and is a change from the polished alloy that we normally see.

Brakes are fairly good, but not up to 1999 standard when compared to other bikes that are now it's competitors. The opposition was bested in most areas when the RF900R was released in 1994, but they have moved on while the RF has stood still.

Fuel range from the 21 litre tank (16 main, 5 reserve) can be stretched to around 300 kilometres when exercising restraint or can be drained in around 220 kilometres if you let yourself get carried away.
The dash layout is simple and uncluttered, although how Suzuki's low-spec GSX750F can get a fuel gauge, while the RF can't, I will never know. The horn is so pitiful it isn't even worth trying to use it.

Suspension had little adjustment to offer up the front, preload is the only offering up the pointy end, while out back you have 7-way preload, step less compression damping adjustment and 4-way adjustable rebound damping. I didn't really find that much appreciable difference could be felt between the settings, unlike bikes with higher spec' suspension.

The suspension does acquit itself admirably when a few bumps are thrown in to the equation, the RF9 shrugs them off as though they weren't there and instils supreme confidence in the rider.

The RF does not have the technological brilliance of the VFR 800, but would well and truly shame the VFR when the time comes to press on a bit quicker than socially responsible.

Finish is not one of the main strengths of the RF900R, but this can be forgiven a little when you consider the lowly $13999 entry price. This gets you a back roads blaster that will not get left behind by anything else on the road, if you are up to the task - so is the RF9.
Second-Hand RF9s are selling for around 10k when they are in good condition with low-mileage, this makes them a truly unbeatable Second-Hand buy, in a lot of cases they can be picked up for less than 10k.

If you want a new one, get in quick as they are no longer being imported by Suzuki Australia. A new one would probably have to come from a dealer who happens to have one on his showroom floor.

When a bike as good as this can't sell well it shows you just how brilliant all sportsbikes are these days.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#8)

August 11, 2003, 02:22 PM

On second thought, Mr.Crowley may be right! :o

http://www.excite.co.jp/world/url/bo...=JAEN&wb_dis=2
Unread
  (#9)

August 11, 2003, 02:24 PM

And finally:

Quote:
Performance plus value, the RF900R is an extraordinary motorcycle that blends the best of all worlds into one beautiful package. Incomparable attention to detail and craftsmanship bordering on true art, mixed with incredible performance, establishes the RF900R as the leading luxury sport bike.
http://www.suzuki-rf.com/rf900r.html#Impressions
Unread
  (#10)
GP Racer

August 11, 2003, 02:26 PM

Alot of the people on this board are not old enough to know much about that bike. I had a couple friends that bought them and piped and jetted them and they made real good power for that time. I know many people who took them real low 10's and high 9's
so they have good power. It is definitely more along the sport tourer line but still a good bike in general.

Rampage "Why you got one shoe on and one shoe off?"
Rashad "Cause i was ready to break one off in your mother****ing ass!"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to FUNx1000  
Unread
  (#11)
Ling Long

April 1, 2008, 01:26 PM

You're gay

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#12)
Mr. Glass

April 1, 2008, 03:06 PM

holy crap, i hadnt seen this in YEARS

06 Black 10R

Quote:
Quote:

Unread
  (#13)
Mr. Glass

April 1, 2008, 03:07 PM

o btw, Mr Cowley where ever you are now, i made 500 bucks off that bike profit.

06 Black 10R

Quote:
Quote: