DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 581
2 members and 579 guests
beatle, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Suzuki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Knee Draggin!

February 2, 2003, 12:39 AM

I'm thinking about getting new pipes for my SVs this summer., so that I can listen to that sweet V-twin sound. What do you guyz recommend? Is it worth it? Who do I order them from? Can I put them on myself??

WHEELS V-twin salute

WHEELS
All life is an experiment
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Wheels Send a message via MSN to Wheels  
Unread
  (#2)
Ballaugh Bridge

February 2, 2003, 08:19 AM

Micron http://www.micron-exhaust.com/ or M4 http://m4exhaust.com/index.html Avoid carbonfiber mufflers. My SV tends to blow out the packing very quickly. I think it has something to do with big power pulses. Once the packing goes the carbonfiber gets too hot and deteriorates. If you're plan on putting on any sort of lower fairing get the Micron.

http://www.starcycle.comalways has good prices on exhaust, usually lower than anywhere else.

It's worth it. Also don't buy a jet kit. They're not worth it. For $10 you can do the same thing. Installing a pipe and tweaking the carbs to match the pipe ranks up there with valve adjustments. It's not as easy as changing the oil.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

February 2, 2003, 09:45 AM

I won't pretend to know as much about SV's as Travis but I can tell you this, the best sounding twin I've heard thus far is Satya's Aprilia Falco with a set of Leo Vinci pipes on it. Don't overlook them. They make good power and are built to the same high standards as Akras. I do know that as I have both.

PAY UP LEE!

I've never had a lack of self confidence I wasn't sure I could overcome.
www.twodogsracing.net
WERA #521 CCS #521 '
03 R6 '00 R1 '02 R1 '04 R1 (coming February)
'02 GRC GP R1 Replica pocketbike (read monster)
Unread
  (#4)
Knee Draggin!

February 2, 2003, 11:38 AM

I have the D&D full system on mine. From what I've seen, it's pretty comparable to the Micron and M4 in terms of power gain, but I don't think that fit and finish wise it is quite as good as those. Although they are perfectly acceptable and sound great IMO. But the D&D are much more economical than the others - I got mine for $320 (brand new w/ shipping included) off eBay and you can find them for under $400 on the web. IMO they are well worth it.

Here is a link to an article on the Leo Vince system for the SV: http://www.svrider.com/articles/aug0...e/LeoVince.htm

Also, the people over in UK have been raving about the Renegade exhaust system but they are a bit pricey.

Kal

'05 GSX-R 750
'01 SV650S
Full D&D, Dynojet Stage I kit:
Shimmed needles, 150 mains, 17.5 pilots, 2.5 turns
De-snorkelled & de-fendered
Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

February 2, 2003, 01:13 PM

That was a good read on the Leo. Thanks for posting.

As for the M4, I have one on my R6 and it too makes good power and looks to be of good quality.

Here's a post I found on the microns just in case. Good to have this out in the open. It appears they stand behind it...somewhat.

Quote:
Micron Fade ... Sent back !!
You may have read about this somewhere else on this forum but I am going to start a thread so we can track all aspects of returning a Micron Can because of factory defect.

If you have a Micron Fade Can and you are experiencing "Spiderwebbing" you can return it for a upgraded replacement.

They offer for replacement, Anodized Cans, Chrome Cans or Carbon Fiber Cans. They will also replace it with another FADE can but if it spiderwebs you are S.O.L. No return on the replacement. A chance I wasn't willing to take. NOT ALL MICRON FADES SPIDERWEB !!

The cost:
The price to ship it back to them. I chose FedEx 2nd day Air with insurance up to $300.00 bucks. $26.40. I paid for the more expensive shipping because I am without a CAN right now.

Who I talked to at Micron:

Sam at 1-888-963-1212.

What to do to EXCHANGE:
If you want to send your defective Micron Can back, contact SAM or DOUG and request to get a RA #. (RA = Return Authorization)

You must have a copy of your receipt to send back and your CAN must be less than a year old.

PAY UP LEE!

I've never had a lack of self confidence I wasn't sure I could overcome.
www.twodogsracing.net
WERA #521 CCS #521 '
03 R6 '00 R1 '02 R1 '04 R1 (coming February)
'02 GRC GP R1 Replica pocketbike (read monster)
Unread
  (#6)
Signed up for Track Days!

February 4, 2003, 03:18 AM

worth it is debateable; but it will sound better. I'd also disagree w/ the jet kit idea. It is a good way to understand the fuel system of your bike if you have no knowledge of these things. If you just throw a couple of washers in it you haven't really learned much, and maybe not tuned it so much either. I think later in your wrenching they seem like overkill/overpay, but for a carb virgin they're a good call. Regardless, unless your already at the threshold of your ride's performance in every turn, you won't notice alot of real change. I don't know much about the SV, but I think we're talking like 7 HP here, properly tuned. I know you're probably itching to spend some dough on that ride, but I'd wait till summer & hear a few diff. pipes before you decide. I couldn't tell you how many guys say they wished they'd got a so and so instead after they hear one
just my .02
(and no offense to the SV gods)
j

Goin back to cali, cali, cali, cali
02 GSXR 600
Unread
  (#7)
Knee Draggin!

February 4, 2003, 07:03 PM

Johnny has a good point, even though he did manage to piss off the SV gods! The power gain from new pipes are for the most part overated, but I think for the SV it is definitely noticeable. The SV is lower in power compared to the supersports so a little gain is much more noticeable.

In my case, the bike revs better and you do feel like the front wheel picks up much easier than before. I saw that video of Travis (SVbadguy) doing a 2nd to 3rd gear shift which I thought was impossible doing a wheelie on an SV!

But, like Johnny said, if you're not at the limits of the bike you probably don't NEED this mod . . . . but do you WANT it? OH HELL YEAH!! To me it was worth it just for the sound!

Kal

'05 GSX-R 750
'01 SV650S
Full D&D, Dynojet Stage I kit:
Shimmed needles, 150 mains, 17.5 pilots, 2.5 turns
De-snorkelled & de-fendered
Unread
  (#8)
Ballaugh Bridge

February 5, 2003, 12:25 AM

First, regarding the jet kit, I did not say it won't need rejetting. It will no matter what pipe you get. I'm saying that for $10 you can buy the jets you need, no need to pay $60 for a kit. With a stock filter and pipe all that needs to be done is move the shim on top of the needle to underneath it, turn out to pilot screws 2-3 turns, and replace the stock main jets with 142s. 17.5 pilot jets aren't always necessary.

Rob (xanteen), who lives locally is setting up a group exhaust purchase on the SVrider.com List for M4 and Micron exhausts. If interested contact him ASAP rmcurtis@hotmail.com
He says, "Please let me know tonight if you are interested in buying an M4 or a Micron in the next two weeks. Prices will be posted within a day or two
based on responses. Don't wait till the prices come out to email me, because
I am going to talk to the vendor and he/she'll give me prices based on the
numbers of responses I have."

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship