DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 576
4 members and 572 guests
dubplaya, nootherids, Scot, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Suzuki

LinkBack Thread Tools
suspension upgrades and tips for gsxr 1000
Unread
  (#1)
Noob sauce

suspension upgrades and tips for gsxr 1000 - April 1, 2010, 01:57 PM

im looking to get some tips on a 2002 GSXR 1000. i would like to get the suspension set to my weight.
i would also like to know if there are any tips to upgrading my susupension. like what would fit my bike, possibly from other bikes, so i can expand my options on what to look for and so on.
plus anything i should look out for or be aware of on the 2002 gsxr.
maybe parts that tend to wear out or go bad after so many miles.

any help would be great. thanks all.

I have a drink to celebrate the little things. Like Tuesdays - we only have one of those a week!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to chumchum  
Unread
  (#2)
Noob sauce

April 2, 2010, 06:44 AM

lol Nada?

I have a drink to celebrate the little things. Like Tuesdays - we only have one of those a week!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Unread
  (#3)
100% Kawasaki Biased

April 2, 2010, 06:47 AM

Set your sag and go from there. The Ohlins site has tons of good info if you read through their manuals. http://www.ohlins.com/Our-products/Motorcycle/

You can live in your car, but you can't race your house.

'07 ZX-10R - 156 RWHP/182 MPH
'09 KX450F - VCHSS 29F
'85 ZL-900 Eliminator
'01 Ninja 250 (Sold)
'06 636 (Sold)
'99 ZX-6R (Sold)
'94 Ninja 250 (Sold)
'99 YZ-250 (Sold)
'73 CL 450 (Sold)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Jpc...eature=related
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/H...bud_408656.htmfeature=related

The difference between men and boys is that boys make excuses and men make changes.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Has an idiot exemption

April 2, 2010, 06:47 AM

What have you tried to adjust on your stock suspension and gotten no improvement?

That will help me with a recommendation.

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#5)
The last urrbendah

April 2, 2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZX9 View Post
What have you tried to adjust on your stock suspension and gotten no improvement?

That will help me with a recommendation.
Also...how much do you weigh? If you are in the same category as this guy, your options are much more limited.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#6)
Banned

April 2, 2010, 07:56 AM

my wife quickly got tired of her ex500, apparently she is learning to ride faster than me...weird I know. She sat on some GSXR motorcycles a few days ago and loves them, then she found out about this website, gixxer.com and it's pretty much anything and everything gixxer. We spend...well she spends a lot of her time there now.
Unread
  (#7)
Toe Dragger

April 2, 2010, 09:01 AM

On most bikes you can change the springs, valves, etc in the front end, which will give you better feel up front, in the rear, you are more limited without changing the shock out.. The biggest question though is how is the bike being used? If it is just a street bike and you want a plusher ride or a firmer ride, there are a ton of options out there.. if its a race bike or track bike, you can drop in Ohlins cartidges in a lot of the oem forks.. as I said though, options depend on use.. We do all sorts of suspension work out here at Duc Pond, regardless of brand of bike.

Chad
Sales Manager Duc Pond Motosports
I Make you Ducati Dreams Come True... LOL! Seriously! I do!

1999 Ducati 996 (sold)
1998 GSXR600 track bike (shamu) sold..
2008 Kwaki Versys sold...
2006 VFR800 Sold..
2001 Road King? Yep....
Unread
  (#8)
Noob sauce

April 2, 2010, 01:53 PM

i actually havent gotten the bike yet. hopfully this weekend.

figured i would look at my options of what to do when i get it, so i can start adjusting it.

i am 205lbs. im not racing it or anything, just want somthing that is set up for my weight. i will worry about racing it later. but figured it would be ideal to set it up proper for me.

as far as upgrading the suspension, i was thinking that once i start getting more comfortable with riding it, and pushing it more. i would like to have more options then what stock will give me, to better suit my style of riding. but i dont plan on actually upgrading any time to soon. i can do that later down the road.

thanks for the help!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Unread
  (#9)
Super Moderator

April 3, 2010, 12:32 PM

My STRONGEST recommendation is to bring it to one of the sponsored shops and just have them gove it a once over. Ill bet ya that the fork oil has never been changed. Its pretty much a night and day difference. You have to think that the bike was probably assembled by a guy making minimum wage. I think its better learining your bike when you know everything is right than learining on a bike that isnt set up right.

My recommendations:
  • have your forks serviced
  • make sure your rear spring is for your weight
  • have someone who knows what they are doing set the suspension up (sag, etc).
Then, learning your bike is going to go SO MUCH EASIER. I remember when I first bought my 636, a frined of mine jumped on it and said, "DUDE..How can you ride this thing!" Him and I are the same size. I took it in and had the same stuff done..I got the bike back and it was like a veWHOLE NEW BIKE.. Where do you live and we can suggest a place..

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#10)
Flight Risk

April 3, 2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion9R View Post
My STRONGEST recommendation is to bring it to one of the sponsored shops and just have them gove it a once over. Ill bet ya that the fork oil has never been changed. Its pretty much a night and day difference. You have to think that the bike was probably assembled by a guy making minimum wage. I think its better learining your bike when you know everything is right than learining on a bike that isnt set up right.

My recommendations:
  • have your forks serviced
  • make sure your rear spring is for your weight
  • have someone who knows what they are doing set the suspension up (sag, etc).
Then, learning your bike is going to go SO MUCH EASIER. I remember when I first bought my 636, a frined of mine jumped on it and said, "DUDE..How can you ride this thing!" Him and I are the same size. I took it in and had the same stuff done..I got the bike back and it was like a veWHOLE NEW BIKE.. Where do you live and we can suggest a place..

ive always wanted to get my suspension done right. if ya dont mind do you know of any places near Rockville? if not just a good place to take my bike, i really dont mind to travel.

Next... R1
11' GSXR 750 (stolen)
09' CBR 600RR (sold)
08' GSXR 750 (sold)
07' CBR 600RR (R.I.P)

Maybe I will stop next time.
Unread
  (#11)
Banned

April 3, 2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumchum View Post
i actually havent gotten the bike yet. hopfully this weekend.

figured i would look at my options of what to do when i get it, so i can start adjusting it.

i am 205lbs. im not racing it or anything, just want somthing that is set up for my weight. i will worry about racing it later. but figured it would be ideal to set it up proper for me.

as far as upgrading the suspension, i was thinking that once i start getting more comfortable with riding it, and pushing it more. i would like to have more options then what stock will give me, to better suit my style of riding. but i dont plan on actually upgrading any time to soon. i can do that later down the road.

thanks for the help!!!
Unread
  (#12)
Noob sauce

April 3, 2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGo View Post
I pushed the f4i some but not to the limits, i dont plan on pushing the gsxr to the limits either. Im not looking to race. But like having the power. I just want to set it up right so that if i do start pushing it more, its not harder then it should be.

I will take it to rnr they helped with my f4i. Thanks for advise!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Unread
  (#13)
Super Moderator

April 4, 2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty600 View Post
ive always wanted to get my suspension done right. if ya dont mind do you know of any places near Rockville? if not just a good place to take my bike, i really dont mind to travel.
The place I STRONGLY suggest is MRP Motorsports but its up near me..about 40 minutes away. The phone is 410-553-2355 (I believe). They JUST moved so I don't know the new exact address. There was a place near rockville but I don't remember the name..if I remember I will post it up

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#14)
Super Moderator

April 4, 2010, 03:12 PM

Even if you don't "pust it to the limit"..nothing beats a well set up bike. Especially for your frame of mind...but remeber..a bike that is perfectly for one person isn't perfectly set up for another.

-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

April 4, 2010, 07:25 PM

.................................................. ..................
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Since MJ was 99% plastic, they're going to melt him down to make some lego blocks so kids can play with him for a
change.
.................................................. .......................