DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 510
1 members and 509 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Suzuki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
opossum puncher

January 3, 2006, 11:41 AM

Hi all, I have a friend with a SV, he bought it to tide himself over while he put his 750 back together but wound up really enjoying it and has begun looking in to making the bike a little more fun for those days when commutes take detours.

So I ask on his behalf, what gearing changes have you made, and what the effect was.
Specifically interested in from a stop, at highway speeds and when cruising around town, as this is going to be mainly a commuter (until I can convince him to make this his dedicated track bike)

Thanks!

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#2)
Typical Stripper

January 3, 2006, 11:49 AM

Stock SVS gearing is 15/44 and Stock SV (naked) gearing is 15/45

I did a 14T front sprocket, which in all mathematical senses is within small decimals of 3 teeth up in the rear, just cheaper. Over all effect were much "snappier" throttle responce, and the "feeling" of more power. This gear works well for me as I do 90% twistie road riding, and barely any highway.

At highway cruising speed the effects are that the bike becomes to feel a bit "buzzy" at speed because of the raised RPMs in 6th gear. I have noticed as well with a smaller countershaft sprocket, my chain wore faster, and was not as smooth as lower speeds.

I have a 520 conversion now, 15/47, essentially the same gearing, but it should be a bit smooth because the load is spread over more teeth. Hope that helps for something.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Officially Addicted to Posting

January 3, 2006, 12:10 PM

I have run 15/47 and 15/46, but only on the track. I was sursprised by the additional grunt. Had never broken the rear end lose before while leaned over and accelerating out of a corner. The rest of my input is not particularly relevant to street riding, so I'll stop there.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#4)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

January 3, 2006, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudist
Stock SVS gearing is 15/44 and Stock SV (naked) gearing is 15/45

I did a 14T front sprocket, which in all mathematical senses is within small decimals of 3 teeth up in the rear, just cheaper. Over all effect were much "snappier" throttle responce, and the "feeling" of more power. This gear works well for me as I do 90% twistie road riding, and barely any highway.

At highway cruising speed the effects are that the bike becomes to feel a bit "buzzy" at speed because of the raised RPMs in 6th gear. I have noticed as well with a smaller countershaft sprocket, my chain wore faster, and was not as smooth as lower speeds.

I have a 520 conversion now, 15/47, essentially the same gearing, but it should be a bit smooth because the load is spread over more teeth. Hope that helps for something.
1 tooth down in the front = 3 teeth up in the back. (General rule of thumb)

Basically whe you do this you are gearing it shorter. More power off the line but lower top end. Highway cruising is like Nudist says....buzzy.

Spen the money on the rear sproeckt instead of saving on the front. Smaller countershaft does cause much faster wear - meaning you SHOULD then replace the chain and both sprockets. (If you change one of these for wear..then change all....otherwise they are worn and will degradethe newest piece much faster.)

One thing you may or may not notice...a larger rear sprocket will change the angle of the chain to the countershaft sprocket. This can change the rear end suspension feel somewhat. Depends on how you ride.

Enjoy!

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#5)
opossum puncher

January 3, 2006, 12:31 PM

Wow thanks for all the info. I will actually apply this to my bike as well, Ive done the RK quick acceleration kit, (520 conversion, down one in the front, and alum rear) I have been agrivated to see just how quickly the rear alum sprocket wore out, and did notice the decrease in smoothness at low speeds, gonna give a Tri-Metal a try for the rear this time round.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool