DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:



Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 407
1 members and 406 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Suzuki

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Thinking about an SV Track Bike: Thoughts?
Unread
  (#1)
See the mouth and the eye
 
dv/dt's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,242
Join Date: September 7, 2007
Location: Reston VA
Thinking about an SV Track Bike: Thoughts? - August 1, 2010, 11:25 AM

I'm thinking about getting in to the SV650 game and eventually racing one, maybe as early as next season. I want something that's pretty much a built race bike (front and rear suspension, brakes, exhaust and PC, maybe some engine work, maybe some spares as well). I've found a couple that fit the bill for the money I want to spend.

SV guys, what should I be looking for in a track bike? Also, what classes is the SV eligible for?


-Mark

2007 Yamaha RVI (sold, treat her nice Chris)

MARRC Cornerworker

  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dv/dt  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#2)
Owner & Creator
 
Carnage's Avatar
 
Posts: 16,418
Join Date: June 11, 2003
Location: TROLL WORLD
August 1, 2010, 11:34 AM

goodbike to learn on.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#3)
See the mouth and the eye
 
dv/dt's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,242
Join Date: September 7, 2007
Location: Reston VA
August 1, 2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
goodbike to learn on.
That's what I keep hearing, that it's a good bike to start racing on. I love the R6 to death but I know I wont be competitive racing on it, especially with guys like you out there (just as long as you're not stalling and dumping it in T5 ), that was my ugly ass who ran out to you yesterday btw. Good job though team carnage, you all were rippin it up yesterday, it was fun to watch!


-Mark

2007 Yamaha RVI (sold, treat her nice Chris)

MARRC Cornerworker

  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dv/dt  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#4)
Traction Control
 
Tecknojoe's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,969
Join Date: May 6, 2009
Location: The hell out of VA
August 1, 2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv/dt View Post
That's what I keep hearing, that it's a good bike to start racing on. I love the R6 to death but I know I wont be competitive racing on it, especially with guys like you out there (just as long as you're not stalling and dumping it in T5 ), that was my ugly ass who ran out to you yesterday btw. Good job though team carnage, you all were rippin it up yesterday, it was fun to watch!
tru, carnage knock that shit off.



mark get an R6 dont be gay


KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#5)
See the mouth and the eye
 
dv/dt's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,242
Join Date: September 7, 2007
Location: Reston VA
August 1, 2010, 02:37 PM

I built SV will keep up with your gen R6 anyway!


-Mark

2007 Yamaha RVI (sold, treat her nice Chris)

MARRC Cornerworker

  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dv/dt  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#6)
Signed up for Track Days!
 
edrod68's Avatar
 
Posts: 264
Join Date: December 5, 2007
Location: Sykesville, MD 21784
August 1, 2010, 02:43 PM

The SV is a great starting race bike.. you can compete in a lot of classes.

Off the top of my head for CCS, an SV is competitive in, GT lights, Light Weight (LW) Supersport, LW Superbike, LW GP, Heavyweight sportsman, its ok in Super Twins.. that is six classes that you can compete in right out of the box...

Plus, it is better on tires, and when you are just starting out, keeping costs down while you learn is a good idea...

I raced one for 5 years... had a great time with it.. only thing I had to do was change tires, clean the air filter and change oil and filter when it needed it.. basically bulletproof...


You don't always get slower as you get older
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#7)
Owner & Creator
 
Carnage's Avatar
 
Posts: 16,418
Join Date: June 11, 2003
Location: TROLL WORLD
August 1, 2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv/dt View Post
That's what I keep hearing, that it's a good bike to start racing on. I love the R6 to death but I know I wont be competitive racing on it, especially with guys like you out there (just as long as you're not stalling and dumping it in T5 ), that was my ugly ass who ran out to you yesterday btw. Good job though team carnage, you all were rippin it up yesterday, it was fun to watch!
My adrenaline was kicking, all I was concentrating was to get back on the bike and go. The remote adjuster fell off and had no brakes going into T5 lol.

I tried to fix it by riding 1-2 laps, then I said F it came into the pits to find a hole in my radiator. We ended up replacing the radiator with a new one. I'll post on the race report later. I just woke up.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#8)
GET SOME ! ! !
 
Spyker's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,013
Join Date: September 7, 2007
Location: in transit...
August 1, 2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
tru, carnage knock that shit off.



mark get an R6 dont be gay
True, man up son, its R6 or nothing


TPM/Roger Lyle/MARRC/NESBA #911

MARRC Cornerworker

2008 RAW Off-Road Desert Racing 58a Rider
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#9)
See the mouth and the eye
 
dv/dt's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,242
Join Date: September 7, 2007
Location: Reston VA
August 1, 2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
My adrenaline was kicking, all I was concentrating was to get back on the bike and go. The remote adjuster fell off and had no brakes going into T5 lol.

I tried to fix it by riding 1-2 laps, then I said F it came into the pits to find a hole in my radiator. We ended up replacing the radiator with a new one. I'll post on the race report later. I just woke up.
haha I'm just givin you a hard time. I'm glad you got it started back up, I was ready to bump start you. Glad you're ok too man, I had a hell of a time watchin you all out there.


-Mark

2007 Yamaha RVI (sold, treat her nice Chris)

MARRC Cornerworker

  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dv/dt  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#10)
See the mouth and the eye
 
dv/dt's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,242
Join Date: September 7, 2007
Location: Reston VA
August 1, 2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyker View Post
True, man up son, its R6 or nothing
Why don't you man up and corner work an endurance race.....girly man


-Mark

2007 Yamaha RVI (sold, treat her nice Chris)

MARRC Cornerworker

  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dv/dt  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#11)
See the mouth and the eye
 
dv/dt's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,242
Join Date: September 7, 2007
Location: Reston VA
August 1, 2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrod68 View Post
The SV is a great starting race bike.. you can compete in a lot of classes.

Off the top of my head for CCS, an SV is competitive in, GT lights, Light Weight (LW) Supersport, LW Superbike, LW GP, Heavyweight sportsman, its ok in Super Twins.. that is six classes that you can compete in right out of the box...

Plus, it is better on tires, and when you are just starting out, keeping costs down while you learn is a good idea...

I raced one for 5 years... had a great time with it.. only thing I had to do was change tires, clean the air filter and change oil and filter when it needed it.. basically bulletproof...
Good stuff, thanks erod! Curious, what other bikes can run in LW supersport and LW superbike?


-Mark

2007 Yamaha RVI (sold, treat her nice Chris)

MARRC Cornerworker

  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dv/dt  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#12)
B
It goes to 11.
 
B's Avatar
 
Posts: 16,806
Join Date: November 8, 2004
Location: Moet Chandon on a Schlitz budget
August 1, 2010, 06:44 PM

SV is a great bike to race. Very fun, pretty relaxed to break into racing, awesome on tires. I get 3-4 weekends out of a set. So practice and 20 races. Granted they are sliding a LOT by the last weekend.

An SV should have carts in the forks, traxxion or something. AK20s are the closest things to real suspension and I'd suggest them. Penske double is the rear shock of choice and I'd agree.

I might be selling my SV soon and putting all my money into my 09 gixxer.


SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#13)
See the mouth and the eye
 
dv/dt's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,242
Join Date: September 7, 2007
Location: Reston VA
August 1, 2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
SV is a great bike to race. Very fun, pretty relaxed to break into racing, awesome on tires. I get 3-4 weekends out of a set. So practice and 20 races. Granted they are sliding a LOT by the last weekend.

An SV should have carts in the forks, traxxion or something. AK20s are the closest things to real suspension and I'd suggest them. Penske double is the rear shock of choice and I'd agree.

I might be selling my SV soon and putting all my money into my 09 gixxer.
Here's one I found on the WERA board. 2005 sv650 race - 13x Forums

GSXR600 front end w/traxxion internals, penske rear, PC3 $4000. This one's got everything I want!

Let me know about your SV, I may be interested.


-Mark

2007 Yamaha RVI (sold, treat her nice Chris)

MARRC Cornerworker

  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dv/dt  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#14)
B
It goes to 11.
 
B's Avatar
 
Posts: 16,806
Join Date: November 8, 2004
Location: Moet Chandon on a Schlitz budget
August 1, 2010, 06:55 PM

The gixxer front end will keep you out of supersport. But honestly with the SV forks bending or breaking often, I'm half inclined to just swap my 05 gix forks to the bike and drop supersport.


SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#15)
See the mouth and the eye
 
dv/dt's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,242
Join Date: September 7, 2007
Location: Reston VA
August 1, 2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
The gixxer front end will keep you out of supersport. But honestly with the SV forks bending or breaking often, I'm half inclined to just swap my 05 gix forks to the bike and drop supersport.
Interesting....Thats exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping to learn. I need to read the rulebook before I buy anything.


-Mark

2007 Yamaha RVI (sold, treat her nice Chris)

MARRC Cornerworker

  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dv/dt  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
spyker juggles dildos


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest 2002-2010 by DCSportbikes.net. DCSportbikes.net is owned by End of Time Studios, LLC.