DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 505
1 members and 504 guests
tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Triumph

LinkBack Thread Tools
School a new rider?
Unread
  (#1)
no one's blowing up moons

School a new rider? - January 28, 2012, 11:09 AM

I came to riding late in life and don't know much about bikes. Part of my problem is I'm short and there are only so many bikes I can flatfoot. The only new vehicle I've ever bought is a Suzuki TU250 that I rode from DC to Duluth MN and back last August. I want another bike. I don't own a car, won't be buying one and need reliable trans even if one bike is in the shop or something. At the IMS/DC I looked the Bonneville.

I remember stories about Triumphs and maintenance/repair issues. I've also been hearing that all that has changed. I don't know what that means. I'll always be paying for someone else to be doing the maintenance and I don't make much in my job so if a Triumph bike has a 'high cost of ownership' that's a problem for me.

I'm asking for your comments on whether or not a Triumph is a good choice for someone with little mechanical knowledge, few mechanical skills and no place to do the work anyway. Thanks.

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Groping is a skill...

January 28, 2012, 01:13 PM

Stick to Japanese if your main concern is cost of ownership. New Triumphs seem to be very reliable BUT you have to also think about what happens if you lay the bike down and have to purchase/replace parts. Suzuki is pretty good with people that are vertically challenged.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
No more 1050 :(

January 28, 2012, 02:23 PM

Parts are generally a little cheaper on the Japanese bikes, yes.

The Bonneville is just as reliable of a bike now as anything else on the road. They haven't changed that engine in years, except going to FI in 2009. If you don't mind a carbed bike, there are tons of used ones out there in good shape.

Basic maintenance on them is simple. You don't need any space, and only a couple basic tools. Where do you live? If you're anywhere close to Manassas I'll come show you how to do an oil change, etc... shops rape you for this kind of stuff.

The old 60s-70s Triumphs had a bad reputation, somewhat well deserved... largely in part to the wonderful Lucas Electronics. The new ones share nothing with them except the name on the tank.
Unread
  (#4)

January 28, 2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz1050 View Post
Basic maintenance on them is simple. You don't need any space, and only a couple basic tools. Where do you live? If you're anywhere close to Manassas I'll come show you how to do an oil change, etc... shops rape you for this kind of stuff.
Thanks, that sounds great if you don't mind teaching newbies. It'll probably be next summer before I have the money together for the next bike but when I get it I'll take you up on your offer. I'm near DC but I can come out your way. You won't have to move tools and I'll get a reason to ride. I'll send you a PM later this year.

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz

Unread
  (#5)
otb
AMA Superbike Champ

January 29, 2012, 02:33 PM

I've had both a Thruxton and a Bonnie (05 and 03) and they were stone axe reliable. I've also had a 98 St, and an 02 955i Daytona, both have moved on to other owners and both are still being ridden; the Daytona was bought by a friend of mine who put somewhere in the neighborhood of 40,000 miles on it in two years and minus the regular service items and a couple of sets of cush drive rubbers, had zero issues.

Back in the bad old days, (1970 somthin') I had a Trident, and it was without a doubt, the WORST piece of shizz EVAR!!!!!

It wouldn't run when it rained, it wouldn't run when you washed it, it shook parts off as you rode down the road, it needed a complete valve job at 3000 miles (not and adjustment; new seats, guides and valves and the cam had galled). I was NEVER happier to see a bike go as that one.

The quality of Triumphs today are equal to or greater than anything put out buy Japan; I would not hesitate to buy one and ride it across town or across the US (because I have). The two cyly models are reliable, easy to work on and fun to ride.

Riding fast bikes slowly since 1969....
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)

February 1, 2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otb View Post
I've had both a Thruxton and a Bonnie (05 and 03) and they were stone axe reliable. I've also had a 98 St, and an 02 955i Daytona, both have moved on to other owners and both are still being ridden; the Daytona was bought by a friend of mine who put somewhere in the neighborhood of 40,000 miles on it in two years and minus the regular service items and a couple of sets of cush drive rubbers, had zero issues.

Back in the bad old days, (1970 somthin') I had a Trident, and it was without a doubt, the WORST piece of shizz EVAR!!!!!

It wouldn't run when it rained, it wouldn't run when you washed it, it shook parts off as you rode down the road, it needed a complete valve job at 3000 miles (not and adjustment; new seats, guides and valves and the cam had galled). I was NEVER happier to see a bike go as that one.

The quality of Triumphs today are equal to or greater than anything put out buy Japan; I would not hesitate to buy one and ride it across town or across the US (because I have). The two cyly models are reliable, easy to work on and fun to ride.
Thanks, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

Physics always wins

Quote:
unintentional accidental

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3