DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 510
1 members and 509 guests
tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Triumph

LinkBack Thread Tools
Winter starting issue
Unread
  (#1)
no one's blowing up moons

Winter starting issue - January 26, 2013, 03:40 PM

2010 Bonneville

Got out to ride Wed Jan 26 and the bike wouldn't start. It's been about 5 or 6 weeks since the last ride. (The Suzuki has been starting up just fine for weeks so the problem should be local to the Bonneville)

For the previous couple of days the temp had been in the 20'sF in the days and in the teens F overnights. I don't have a garage or a charger. (I'd have to bring the battery inside to use a charger)

In case the battery did freeze I've brought it inside and it tested at 11.94. 5 hours later it's testing at 12.78.

I haven't put it back on the bike yet so I haven't tried it again but tomorrow is supposed to be 35F and sunny so I'm going for a ride if the bike starts. (Or out on the Suzuki if it doesn't )

I've been told that once a lead acid battery freezes it'll need to be replaced because of what happens to the lead plates.

Background Info: It's a 2010 and I bought it in Aug 2012 with 1961 miles on it and put about 4000 miles on it since then. Can't say when the 1st owner bought but that still doesn't seem like very much/very consistent riding before I got it so I don't know what that may have done to the battery. Also, he didn't add powered farkles nor did I.

Questions are: Anybody think the bike wouldn't start because the battery was frozen? Do you think it's more likely it was a different reason? If it froze do I need to replace it?

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

January 26, 2013, 03:46 PM

I've heard that, but never experienced it. I'd start by trying it. Hook up a different battery if the one you have doesn't work.

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#3)

January 26, 2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
I've heard that, but never experienced it. I'd start by trying it. Hook up a different battery if the one you have doesn't work.
Good idea. If the one I brought inside doesn't work maybe I'll pull the one from the Suzuki. I've been riding the TU to work for the last two weeks and neglecting the Bonneville so I really want to take it out. Thanks.

Do you know about the "frozen battery ruining the lead plates" thing?

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz

Unread
  (#4)
Railing!

January 26, 2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lam@dcsf View Post
2010 Bonneville

Got out to ride Wed Jan 26 and the bike wouldn't start. It's been about 5 or 6 weeks since the last ride. (The Suzuki has been starting up just fine for weeks so the problem should be local to the Bonneville)

For the previous couple of days the temp had been in the 20'sF in the days and in the teens F overnights. I don't have a garage or a charger. (I'd have to bring the battery inside to use a charger)

In case the battery did freeze I've brought it inside and it tested at 11.94. 5 hours later it's testing at 12.78.

I haven't put it back on the bike yet so I haven't tried it again but tomorrow is supposed to be 35F and sunny so I'm going for a ride if the bike starts. (Or out on the Suzuki if it doesn't )

I've been told that once a lead acid battery freezes it'll need to be replaced because of what happens to the lead plates.

Background Info: It's a 2010 and I bought it in Aug 2012 with 1961 miles on it and put about 4000 miles on it since then. Can't say when the 1st owner bought but that still doesn't seem like very much/very consistent riding before I got it so I don't know what that may have done to the battery. Also, he didn't add powered farkles nor did I.

Questions are: Anybody think the bike wouldn't start because the battery was frozen? Do you think it's more likely it was a different reason? If it froze do I need to replace it?
Just make sure you're at the top of a hill and get a rolling start and pop the clutch. Problem solved.
Unread
  (#5)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

January 26, 2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lam@dcsf View Post
Good idea. If the one I brought inside doesn't work maybe I'll pull the one from the Suzuki. I've been riding the TU to work for the last two weeks and neglecting the Bonneville so I really want to take it out. Thanks.

Do you know about the "frozen battery ruining the lead plates" thing?
I've heard of it but never actually experienced it. Sorry

With that mileage, the battery shouldn't be bad. What brand is it? Warranty possible?

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#6)

January 26, 2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
I've heard of it but never actually experienced it. Sorry

With that mileage, the battery shouldn't be bad. What brand is it? Warranty possible?
YUASA - second owner/private sale so probably no warranty.

The first owner seems to have not ridden much or often so no telling what condition the battery was in by the time I bought the bike.

Physics always wins

Quote:
unintentional accidental

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3

Unread
  (#7)
otb
AMA Superbike Champ

January 26, 2013, 04:46 PM

In my "yoot" in Minnesota I used to ride year 'round. The acid solution in your battery won't freeze until minus 15-40 depending on state of charge. A fully discharged lead/acid battery will freeze around +5 F.

If your battery freezes, plate issues will be the least of your issues...normally the case ruptures (ask me how I know).

As temps drop, several things happen; the available amps from the battery drop, the cranking power required to overcome oil and cold friction drag increase, cold compression decreases, and the ability of fuel to vaporize and therefore burn becomes less. Starting singles and twins and cold weather is more difficult than multis, too.

If you are not going to ride for a while in cold weather, take your battery out and store indoors. You'll be pleasantly surprised on even the coldest days how well a warm, well charged battery spins a cold, draggy motor.

Riding fast bikes slowly since 1969....
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
otb
AMA Superbike Champ

January 26, 2013, 04:50 PM

The other thing that's bad for batteries is....disuse. If you warm yours up, keep it on a float charger, and it still doesn't want to crank the bike over, it's time to replace. I replace batteries on high perf twins (Ducs, Aprilias, Guzzi's) every three years. I hate getting stuck in the boonies.

Unread
  (#9)
otb
AMA Superbike Champ

January 26, 2013, 04:51 PM

Li-Ion batteries are great for space and weight savings, but their cold crank amps drop off a cliff below 10F.

Unread
  (#10)
otb
AMA Superbike Champ

January 26, 2013, 04:54 PM

PS, if you've flooded it severely (you'll smell the gas as it cranks) walk away a few minutes, and try a spritz of starting fluid (ether). (Take off the seat and spray it down the intake horn.)It should clear the plugs and fire right off.

Unread
  (#11)

January 27, 2013, 02:55 PM

Today was supposed to go up to 35F so I got out there and put the battery back in.

Started right up but I only got in about 50 miles before my hands got too numb to stay out. Picked up a fresh tank of gas and headed in.

Thanks guys.

Physics always wins

Quote:
unintentional accidental

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3

Unread
  (#12)
Stop light racer...

January 28, 2013, 09:35 AM

+1 to push starting:
In the future (since it sounds like your bike lives outside in the winter) a decent push start should get her going...

I had to do this to my Yamaha a couple weeks ago; (same thing: The bike hadn't been started for a while, the battery sounded weak., but after a quick push start the problem was gone.)

Glad it was a simple fix for ya

- Norway Daily, 90' VFR750, V4 Touring Beast
- USA Daily, 08' Versys - Urban Assault vehicle
- Toy, 02' Ducati 900ss - Loud and angry noises
- Toy, 89' FZR600 - Raw Inline Deathbox
- Project, 91' CB250 - Goal: lightweight city bike
- Project, 79' CB350 - Finally runs, now to finish

- Sold, Red 94' VS800 - Loud as F@*$
* R.I.P. Blue 06' SV650, murdered by DC!
* R.I.P. Black 98' FZR600, murdered by DC!
- Sold, Red 81' GS650
- Sold, Black 81' CM400T

Last edited by pnbell; January 28, 2013 at 09:37 AM..