DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 624
4 members and 620 guests
CCS762ZX6, GRN96WS6, Sal_the_man, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Yamaha

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
( * )|( * )

February 5, 2005, 03:34 PM

Well, this morning I picked up my 05 R6 Raven. First, the color scheme is amazing...forget the pictures you have to see the bike in person to appreciate it.

Now for the good part...the first ride.

I headed out around 3:00pm and went for a short 55mi ride on the bike. Since it has fresh tires I took it easy for the most part.

Right now the bike has the stock exhaust and nothing has been changed. So right off the bat I noticed that compared to my 04 R6 the low end and especially the mid-range on up was improved. I gave it some throttle and even with the stock exhaust the bike just up and took off...here goes my first WOW.

So now for the handling, I turn on to Bristow road and do some of the quick S back and forth movements to scrub off any debris that may be on the tire...well from 234 to Bristow are a nice set of gradual S turns so I hit those a little faster knowing that I still have fresh tires so I took them at a "moderate" pace...what S turns...bike doesn't fall in quite as easily as my 04 however, it does with much more feedback probably due to the inverted fork and the bike feels very stable. Ok, feels good and solid going back and forth now for a nice right hand sweeper...again, very stable and easy to guide into the turn...yeah...I can already tell this bike is just incredible.

So, I hit a few more turns and had to keep it moderate because of the fresh tires which may I say were very very grippy and smooth...thumbs up to Dunlop and the 218s.

Finally what I've been waiting for...open field...no cars...nothing around me...let's see what she's got! Bump down into second...wow...well ok into 3rd now...you're kidding right? Fine...4th...DOH!

One thing that differs is that this bike has more low and mid-range yes...but even when the power kicks in it just pulls and pulls all the way to redline. The 04 pulls hard however, it doesn't have the continual pull that the 05 has, I suppose the larger valve bodies are to thank for that.

I did a few hard stops and noticed that it took 1 finger to easily stop and 2 fingers would really bring the bike to a halt with little effort...the brakes are much improved from the stock 04 brakes.

My only small issue is that the throttle does have harsh response with the stock pipe and it was the same way with my 04, I am sure once an aftermarket pipe is installed that it will smooth out the way my 04 did.

Overall the bike is amazing, handling is unreal and the tires are a big improvement over the 208's and the inverted fork does provide a much better feel for what the front wheel is doing. For the first time out, I had a lot of confidence in the bike and I can say more so that I have with my 04 however...I mainly blame that on the 208s...the 218s are a bit softer and grip much better.

Incredible bike...if you're looking for a bike...stop and seriously consider this bike. Hats off to Yamaha because they really did a great job on this bike...of course I'm a big Yamaha fan however, I expected nothing less than a great ride but it blew my expectations away.

-Chris

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
DT
Yesssssss.....

February 7, 2005, 01:37 PM

You didn't get me one???

Told you black was faster. Glad to see you're coming around. They slide on ice hell of a lot better too. Oh well, at least Karli will have a good paint scheme.

Nice reading Chris - good luck on the track bro!!

04 600RR - SOLD

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton Jr
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DT Send a message via AIM to DT Send a message via MSN to DT Send a message via Skype™ to DT 
Unread
  (#3)
MSF Student

February 7, 2005, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT
Told you black was faster.
Ditto

Mike
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to boostenmkiv  
Unread
  (#4)
ISO a Sugar Mama

February 7, 2005, 03:03 PM

Very nice.

"Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us." Dragula.

Canon shooter
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Rolex006  
Unread
  (#5)
1 of DA PAK FOUNDERS!!

February 7, 2005, 03:42 PM

nice report!

R1 , 2001
Gixxer 2005
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Chico Send a message via AIM to Chico  
Unread
  (#6)
( * )|( * )

February 7, 2005, 04:25 PM

I'll update this once I get the bike on the track. I've leaned the bike over a few times and the stability is very noticeable and more so from the front wheel.

Thanks...I just have a long ways to go to learning how to really ride this beast.

See you all at the track!

Chris
Unread
  (#7)
Site Admin

February 7, 2005, 06:05 PM

i want an 05 R6 now!
Unread
  (#8)
Mr. Glass

February 7, 2005, 06:07 PM

nice dude!!

i think im gonna hang on to my bike til its REALLY time for an upgrade..

06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Unread
  (#9)
( * )|( * )

February 8, 2005, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostenmkiv
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT
Ditto
We all know black is faster than silver...then again...all colors are faster than silver

Chris
Unread
  (#10)
Railing!

February 9, 2005, 05:52 AM

Nice report Chris... and congrats on the new bike!!! GREAT color!! ... i just painted my bike Black, so i'm partial...

(sorry Bam and I couldn't do lunch with ya'll when you picked her up)

Lookin' forward to hangin' with you and Karli at the track this year!! Enjoy your new girl!!

Tara
98 gsxr 750 - track
08 gsxr 750 - street
I must not fear ~ Fear is the mind killer
I will face my fear ~ I will let it pass through me
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing....
only I will remain
Unread
  (#11)
MSF Student

February 13, 2005, 05:26 PM

except blue unless you're the "REAL" Rossi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousR6
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostenmkiv
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT
Ditto
We all know black is faster than silver...then again...all colors are faster than silver

Mike
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to boostenmkiv  
Unread
  (#12)
What's today? aah fuck it

February 13, 2005, 07:22 PM

Nice Chris, I'm jealous!
Unread
  (#13)
( * )|( * )

February 13, 2005, 07:58 PM

Nice try Mike...but Rossi's favorite color florescent yellow...repsol Honda is orange so I doubt he cares what color is bike is...he wins no matter what color bike he's on.

Thanks Gixx for the compliment...now I just need to learn how to ride!

Chris
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

February 13, 2005, 08:08 PM

wait till the motor loosens up and then report back. I bet it's gonna be a whole diff'ernt aminal.

If you drink and ride, I have no pity for you. At all, ever.
Unread
  (#15)
( * )|( * )

February 13, 2005, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukigrrl
Nice report Chris... and congrats on the new bike!!! GREAT color!! ... i just painted my bike Black, so i'm partial...

(sorry Bam and I couldn't do lunch with ya'll when you picked her up)

Lookin' forward to hangin' with you and Karli at the track this year!! Enjoy your new girl!!
I bet you gixxer must look really sweet all black. I must admit, when we put the plastics on Karli's bike hers will look pretty sick. Her rims are all black and her carbon fiber exhaust will really give the bike some sleek lines.

I can't wait to hit the track, I have a ton to learn and I'll probably be the slowest person out there but I can't wait...nice turns, working on some lines...and no cars or cops to worry about? I'm scratching to walls waiting for track days to come up...can't wait...just don't lap me too many times everyone ok?

Chris