DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 531
3 members and 528 guests
davidcycle, nootherids, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Yamaha

LinkBack Thread Tools
-1 tooth front sprocket? 2006 R6
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

-1 tooth front sprocket? 2006 R6 - January 4, 2009, 08:54 PM

Hey, folks,

I've read umpteen posts about this kind of thing on the various R6 forums, but wanted to check with local folks.

I have a 2006 R6 (non-S) and was thinking about keeping the stock rear sprocket and chain but dropping the front sprocket one tooth for better midrange/acceleration--going from a 16 tooth to a 15 tooth.

(*NOTE: I only have about 2,000 miles on the bike, and I lube the chain regularly, so I'm guessing that in this case, it's okay to just replace the front sprocket without also replacing the rear sprocket and chain [which I know is the general rule of thumb]).

Has anyone with an R6 done this mod?

And if so, where can I get a quality, yet relatively inexpensive front sprocket around here? Same goes for getting a reasonably priced SpeedoHealer to adjust the speedo for the new gearing.

I know that the -1 tooth in the front and +2 in the rear is popular, but I want to continue to sport tour on the bike (in addition to commuting and attending the random track day), and I'd rather not have the bike revving too much while cruising at highway speeds, so I'm going with just the -1 in the front at this point.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
I was sleeping

January 4, 2009, 09:00 PM

i did the 520 -1 +2 and i love it !!!! better take off and great for the twisties.....

KEV~
NESBA # 401
2002 Honda 919
2003 Yamaha R6(05-09 SOLD)

MARRC Safety Crew - www.marrc.org
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Dirty  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

January 5, 2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyR6 View Post
i did the 520 -1 +2 and i love it !!!! better take off and great for the twisties.....
Thanks for the post. Does the -1 +2 bother you on the highway? And do you see much of a drop in gas mileage?

Also, I remembered that I have an extended warranty (from the previous owner). Would a sprocket change void that?
Unread
  (#4)
I was sleeping

January 5, 2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctex View Post
Thanks for the post. Does the -1 +2 bother you on the highway? And do you see much of a drop in gas mileage?

Also, I remembered that I have an extended warranty (from the previous owner). Would a sprocket change void that?
highway doesnt bother me BUT U HAVE TO GET A SPEEDOHEALER or u will rack up miles super fast.. i dont know anything about warrentys

KEV~
NESBA # 401
2002 Honda 919
2003 Yamaha R6(05-09 SOLD)

MARRC Safety Crew - www.marrc.org
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Dirty  
Unread
  (#5)
I got nuthin

January 6, 2009, 04:20 AM

Send B-Mac a PM, Im sure he can help you out. He just opened a Yamaha dealer in manassas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctex View Post
Hey, folks,

I've read umpteen posts about this kind of thing on the various R6 forums, but wanted to check with local folks.

I have a 2006 R6 (non-S) and was thinking about keeping the stock rear sprocket and chain but dropping the front sprocket one tooth for better midrange/acceleration--going from a 16 tooth to a 15 tooth.

(*NOTE: I only have about 2,000 miles on the bike, and I lube the chain regularly, so I'm guessing that in this case, it's okay to just replace the front sprocket without also replacing the rear sprocket and chain [which I know is the general rule of thumb]).

Has anyone with an R6 done this mod?

And if so, where can I get a quality, yet relatively inexpensive front sprocket around here? Same goes for getting a reasonably priced SpeedoHealer to adjust the speedo for the new gearing.

I know that the -1 tooth in the front and +2 in the rear is popular, but I want to continue to sport tour on the bike (in addition to commuting and attending the random track day), and I'd rather not have the bike revving too much while cruising at highway speeds, so I'm going with just the -1 in the front at this point.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks.

R.I.P. Jeff Vega

1983 Honda XR80
1989 Honda Rebel 250
1983 Yamaha Maxim 750
1986 Honda Shadow 700
2002 Ducati Monster Dark 600
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
2011 HD Sportster 1200 Custom
2001 Suzuki SV 650
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Taty  
Unread
  (#6)
Street Bonk Bum.....

January 6, 2009, 06:08 AM

i did this on my race bike and it made a huge difference just went -1 in the front kept the factory chain and rear sprocket.
http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...6--615099.html

^ same one i have gotten and have had no problems with it at all

Last edited by JWZelibor; January 6, 2009 at 06:12 AM..
Unread
  (#7)
Parkin lot pimpin'

January 12, 2009, 02:47 PM

I just picked up a speedo healer and thinking about doing the same thing on my 03...Am I able to drop down a tooth and keep the stock rear and chain also or do I need to drop down to like a 525 chain?

2013 Kawasaki ZX-6R - back at it again
2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R (636) Lots o' Mods - SOLD

2013 Ford F-150 Ecoboost (Toy Haulin)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EndoSJ3