DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 554
2 members and 552 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Yamaha

LinkBack Thread Tools
2007 R6 questions
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

2007 R6 questions - December 7, 2007, 10:33 PM

Hey, folks,

I had been on the lookout for a 2003 R6 (special edition/flame). But then I noticed the crazy sales on the 2007 R6 (not the R6s) now that the 2008 R6 is waiting in the wings.

For those of you with a 2006 or 2007 R6, what do you think of the bike? Is it really as uncomfortable as a commuter as I've read? Same question re: sport touring.

I'd like something that I can ride out into the mountains of West Virginia, but it doesn't have to be Goldwing comfortable. I had a 1999 FZR600 before my current bike, and I loved that bike. The FZR had a pretty aggressive seating position, but I was still able to sport tour on it.

Also, I noticed the plastic part on the front of the gas tank (covering the first third of the tank). Does this mean that a magnetic tank bag wouldn't work?

Any other thoughts about the 3rd generation R6 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Emm Teh

December 8, 2007, 06:20 AM

The 2006/2007 R6 is a great bike. Sure there will be people that can (and will) argue that but I've got one and have no complaints. The riding position is aggressive but it's not so bad that you can't commute on it (I commute on my R1 and R6). If you're looking for a more sport touring bike the R6s is also a good option. The R6s has more low end power and torque which is a good thing because to feel anything on the R6 you need to be between 10,000 and 15,000 rpm - that's difficult to do around town or even up in the mountains.

You shouldn't have a problem with most magnetic tank bags as they have multiple magnets and they tend to be mostly on the sides. If you're close to Winchester you can stop by with your bag and see if it'll work on mine.

-- Ducati 1198SP
-- 185cc MadAss Commute 'Scoot
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to Michael.Terence Send a message via AIM to Michael.Terence  
Unread
  (#3)
Asstastic

December 8, 2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.Terence
The 2006/2007 R6 is a great bike. Sure there will be people that can (and will) argue that but I've got one and have no complaints. The riding position is aggressive but it's not so bad that you can't commute on it (I commute on my R1 and R6). If you're looking for a more sport touring bike the R6s is also a good option. The R6s has more low end power and torque which is a good thing because to feel anything on the R6 you need to be between 10,000 and 15,000 rpm - that's difficult to do around town or even up in the mountains.

You shouldn't have a problem with most magnetic tank bags as they have multiple magnets and they tend to be mostly on the sides. If you're close to Winchester you can stop by with your bag and see if it'll work on mine.

Just look at it this way. You buy 2 bikes, a hybrid of sorts mind you, when you buy an r6. Th first is a 250cc below 9k rpm.... The second; above 10k rpm is is this wild and ferocious beast that rocks. See, best of both worlds...soooo....Exactly what he said. I got them both as well.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...844F779ADF89CA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNDlf6hA6TY

Michael Collins: You are the baddest mo-fo low down around this side of town!!
Whip some ass!!
B.J. Penn: Sho-nuff!
Unread
  (#4)
GP Racer

December 8, 2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #452-LE
Just look at it this way. You buy 2 bikes, a hybrid of sorts mind you, when you buy an r6. Th first is a 250cc below 9k rpm.... The second; above 10k rpm is is this wild and ferocious beast that rocks. See, best of both worlds...soooo....Exactly what he said. I got them both as well.
Um, so does that mean that I can buy one for the price of a 250cc?

Thanks for the replies, guys. Yeah, practically speaking, I probably should look at the R6S/3nd gen. R6. The '07 R6 is slightly too tall for me, it's probably uncomfortable and it doesn't have as much midrange.

But if riding were only about practicality, well...

I just love the look of the candy red '07 R6. I just need to know if I can live with the ergos/seating position and the engine.

Last edited by dctex; December 8, 2007 at 07:45 PM..