DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 530
3 members and 527 guests
2blueyam, CCS762ZX6, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Yamaha

LinkBack Thread Tools
2009 R1 Mod (exhaust)
Unread
  (#1)

2009 R1 Mod (exhaust) - September 17, 2009, 11:28 AM

Ok - same old story - slip on versus full system for a 2009 R1.

I was thinking of going with this system:
http://gpmotoparts.com/product.php?p...at=2684&page=1

Or would I go with Cat eliminator link pipes to slip on and avoid the Power commander/Bazaaz mapping? I hear eliminating the cat reduces heat....any truth to that?

I am not worried about cost as much as I am dialing it in. I do not want to spend the next few months visiting local dyno's - but the stock exhaust has got to go.

Thanks!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
#swag

September 17, 2009, 11:32 AM

The thing with the 09 R1 is, there is no exup. If you get slipons w/ Y pipe, IMO, it won't be too much different than a full system. I opted for the full Akro since the slipons were $1100 and the Y pipe was $450. $1550 for slipon & y-pipe, or $1750 for the full system. I figured I might as well spend the extra $200. I'm not sure how clearances are on the Leo system, but I can BARELY change my oil without removing the whole exhaust.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#3)
#swag

September 17, 2009, 11:32 AM

And yes, it reduces heat.

Unread
  (#4)
I am at two with nature

September 17, 2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFORC1 View Post
The thing with the 09 R1 is, there is no exup. If you get slipons w/ Y pipe, IMO, it won't be too much different than a full system. I opted for the full Akro since the slipons were $1100 and the Y pipe was $450. $1550 for slipon & y-pipe, or $1750 for the full system. I figured I might as well spend the extra $200. I'm not sure how clearances are on the Leo system, but I can BARELY change my oil without removing the whole exhaust.

+1 all the way!!!

Jeff
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Vega  
Unread
  (#5)
Pleased to meet me

September 17, 2009, 12:28 PM

What % horsepower increase does $1750 get you?
Unread
  (#6)

September 17, 2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFORC1 View Post

Thanks for the info - i cannot imagine having to drop the exhaust for an oil change, that would be a nightmare of leo had even worse clearance than your akro - i get annoyed enough at removing the plastic on the 954 to change the oil.

My fear alone oil change hell requires me to go cat eliminator and slip ons....
Unread
  (#7)
#swag

September 17, 2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadambusiness View Post
What % horsepower increase does $1750 get you?
Not enough to warrant the $1750...but they are all around the same price(decent systems).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonRider View Post
Thanks for the info - i cannot imagine having to drop the exhaust for an oil change, that would be a nightmare of leo had even worse clearance than your akro - i get annoyed enough at removing the plastic on the 954 to change the oil.

My fear alone oil change hell requires me to go cat eliminator and slip ons....
No problem. Yeah, the oil filter is a bitch to get out with the stock headers, and even worse with the Akro headers. I also can't get a socket on the drain bolt.. I have to use a wrench, and that BARELY fits.

I haven't read anything on the r1-forum about the Leo's clearance issues. And there's plenty of people running them. When I bought my exhaust, it was the only thing available at the time.. But my second choice were the Leo's.. I was just impatient. lol

Unread
  (#8)

October 4, 2009, 06:53 PM

so I am liking the leo's....removed the internal reducer and it is not crazy loud. The one thing I did not do is put the spacers in from the top mount to cans...they appeared too low and kind of awkard when I had them in...but now I am worried about the pipes being too close to the plastic. are akro's at similar level? not seeing any discoloration in the plastic yet.

prob should check R1.net...but figured i would ask here!

Thanks!
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

October 4, 2009, 09:44 PM

Looks like decent clearance to me I think you should be just fine but don't take my word for it! I'm sure the R1 guru nick will steer u clear in the am. You will more then likely have problems with discoloration of white plastics regardless of spacers.

.................................................. ..................
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Since MJ was 99% plastic, they're going to melt him down to make some lego blocks so kids can play with him for a
change.
.................................................. .......................
Unread
  (#10)
noise

October 4, 2009, 09:49 PM

Looks like you've got more than enough clearance. Remember, the factory set up is closer than what you've got there along the sides vertically where there isn't a plastic heat shield and from the looks, no discoloration on yours.

"Love is love and family is what is around you and who is in your immediate sphere."