DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 552
5 members and 547 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle, GsxrBulldog, nootherids, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Yamaha

LinkBack Thread Tools
advice on high-milage R6?
Unread
  (#1)
Full spin ahead.

advice on high-milage R6? - March 7, 2007, 04:25 PM

I'm looking at a couple of older (2000-2001) R6s that are running high on the odo, relative to sportbikes anyway. They are between 25k and 29k. Couple of questions:

- Is this a bad idea? Think it's worth the opportunity of getting a sub-$4k R6?
- I've heard about the 2nd gear problem, is this a huge concern? I think one of the bikes I'm looking at has the trans replaced already.
- Does anyone know what the service intervals are on bikes from those years with those kinds of miles? I'm not aware of the engines being rebuilt on the aforementioned bikes.
- Anything in particular I should be looking for when checking out these bikes?

Thanks for any help.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to scarab  
Unread
  (#2)
Track Ho

March 7, 2007, 04:29 PM

I know the 03-04's you have to check the valve spacing at 26k I think, if you give me a sec I will post up maintanence info for the 99-01

"I am officially retired so please don't ban me"
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Signed up for Track Days!

March 7, 2007, 04:31 PM

I was going to say check the 2nd gear on those bikes, but you already knew that. the 99-2000 had more problems than the 01-02. I had a tl with 32 thousand miles on it before it was stolen so if it is taken care of the milage itself isnt a huge problem. But you can find plenty of those year r6 with less miles for under 4 grand.
Unread
  (#4)
Site Admin

March 7, 2007, 04:40 PM

i had sold my 02 r6 back in 05 for about 4,500 with 32k miles.

no issues with it as long as the owner took care of it.

my brother picked up a 99 r6 with 8k miles last year for 2500. look around, that price is a bit high.
Unread
  (#5)
Track Ho

March 7, 2007, 04:54 PM

I am just gonna post the link on r6messagenet go here and look for the maintanence issues

valve clearances are supposed to be checked around 26,600 miles

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/p...ice_Manual.pdf page 61

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/p...ice_manual.pdf page 80

you should be able to find one for about $3500 or cheaper

"I am officially retired so please don't ban me"

Last edited by r6hokie; March 7, 2007 at 04:56 PM..
Unread
  (#6)
singin sweet home alabama

March 7, 2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarab
I'm looking at a couple of older (2000-2001) R6s that are running high on the odo, relative to sportbikes anyway. They are between 25k and 29k. Couple of questions:

- Is this a bad idea? Think it's worth the opportunity of getting a sub-$4k R6?
- I've heard about the 2nd gear problem, is this a huge concern? I think one of the bikes I'm looking at has the trans replaced already.
- Does anyone know what the service intervals are on bikes from those years with those kinds of miles? I'm not aware of the engines being rebuilt on the aforementioned bikes.
- Anything in particular I should be looking for when checking out these bikes?

Thanks for any help.
1) Not a bad idea.
2) My 25k mi 02 R6 sold for about $3200 - mine still ran pretty smooth and had good power.
3) Second gear is not a major concern. - you just have to shift into it solidly, you get used to it and it makes no difference.
4) Anything at that mileage probably needs a valve adjustment and carb sync.
5) Ride it and see if it hiccups or is "un-smooth"... give it some good accelerating runs and see if it lags or smokes excessively. Check the forkseals for leakage. Before I bought my wife a used bike I talked to a few people who owned the same model and payed attention to how it sounds etc. That's about the best you can do I think... or have a mechanic look at it for you.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#7)
Full spin ahead.

March 7, 2007, 10:19 PM

Thanks for all the feedback.

Those maint tables in the manuals are great. I've been checking out r6msgnet too. Great stuff.

One of the bikes is actually $2500, so I'm guessing it might be worthwhile even if i have to do (or pay for) a valve job. Two of them are listed on the NESBA forum.
http://www.nesba.com/TrackTalk/bb/Fo...ML/006397.html
http://www.nesba.com/TrackTalk/bb/Fo...ML/006394.html

DvlsAdvc8 - I remember seeing your 02 for sale a while ago and wishing I were in the market!

I'm not in a huge hurry, so I'll probably check one of the above out and keep looking... back on the ole schedule of checking dcsbn, .com, craigslist, cycle trader, etc 10 times/day at work. =)

Thanks!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to scarab  
Unread
  (#8)
whoa preppy......

March 7, 2007, 10:30 PM

29k isn't bad at all as long as it was serviced. Most 26k valve checks are just inspections anyway. Most yamahas are in spec @ 26k.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
MRP Racing

March 7, 2007, 10:41 PM

i have a 2000 r6 but it only has 7k on it , but no problems with second gear and its a track only bike , i work at a bike shop and only seen a few with second gear problems mainly high mileage ones that have been riden hard , aslong as it has been taken care of though u should b ok , test ride it first and run second gear hard and see if it slips or pops out. if it does happen to have a bad 2nd gear its a easy fix but a expensive one since u have to split the cases to get to the trany, but all in all its a great bike , i love mine , one more thing if your goin to b doin some hard riding get a steering dampner , they tend to give u alot of head shake under hard acceleration.

sponsor
http://WWW.MRPMOTORSPORTS.COM
WERA AM # 616
TPM GP Moto # 11
R.I.P My Baby Girl Jessica Vetter 12-6-86 - 4-21-07
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to